centre lathe question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

centre lathe question

Most of you guys who are well-versed in using a centre lathe or bench lathe to perform all kinds of operations it has to perform, will surely tell me that cutting male threads using a lathe is a lengthy and a tedious process. i kind of agree to that as i myself have some experience in that.

but now i have an idea: what if the threads were cut using a die. that is, the die will be mounted on the tool post with its axis coincident with the axis of the workpiece (or the lathe axis). The chuck (with the job fitted in it) is then made to rotate at the required speed, and then the die is progressed on to the workpiece by spinning the slide.

will this work ?

Re: centre lathe question

It would be much better to use the tailstock due to its centre being on the same axis as the spindle's. Hence, these devices do exist.

Name:  4881540.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  60.2 KB

U put the die in the tail stock. And leave it unlocked so it will slide and make sure the carriage is not in the way and use the lathes slowest speed. Pretty easy. U can use a tap also and get perfect straight job

Quote Originally Posted by ZAVERI View Post
    Most of you guys who are well-versed in using a centre lathe or bench lathe to perform all kinds of operations it has to perform, will surely tell me that cutting male threads using a lathe is a lengthy and a tedious process. i kind of agree to that as i myself have some experience in that.

but now i have an idea: what if the threads were cut using a die. that is, the die will be mounted on the tool post with its axis coincident with the axis of the workpiece (or the lathe axis). The chuck (with the job fitted in it) is then made to rotate at the required speed, and then the die is progressed on to the workpiece by spinning the slide.

will this work ?
    Anything up to 3/4 thread I use a hand die with the piece in the lathe and just keep it square with the tail stock pushing against it till it is started a few threads. It seems to work out well. The handle of the hand die is laid on the ways of the lathe to act as an anti rotation bar. Just keep it well oiled and it works fairly well. No instant reversing though. I usually let the lathe stop , then turn the die backward by hand till it hits the other way, then rotate it back and tap some more .

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Anything up to 3/4 thread I use a hand die with the piece in the lathe and just keep it square with the tail stock pushing against it till it is started a few threads. It seems to work out well. The handle of the hand die is laid on the ways of the lathe to act as an anti rotation bar. Just keep it well oiled and it works fairly well. No instant reversing though. I usually let the lathe stop , then turn the die backward by hand till it hits the other way, then rotate it back and tap some more .

Agreed, this is an easy and common way to use a hand die on the lathe. Although, I prefer to rest the handle of the die holder on the compound rest and constantly have the bare tailstock quill keeping the die square.

Yes it can work but you must understand that you will not get A+ quality threads this way.
    Also a lot of cheap dies are for re-threading not threading. Make sure you get a quality die that is SHARP
    Use cutting oil or better yet tapping fluid like tapmagic.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Another option is to thread the part in question on a pipe threader. I have done a few threaded rod parts on a 535 and with the gray bolt dies and right thread you can make a rod any length you want to. However, if you're still inquiring about the parts made from your other thread I would probably still make them on a CNC or screw machine. Roll forming would be another option possibly but I have never seen that done other than youtube. I have seen some rollers for sale once in a while at various auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrret3238 View Post
    Another option is to thread the part in question on a pipe threader. I have done a few threaded rod parts on a 535 and with the gray bolt dies and right thread you can make a rod any length you want to. However, if you're still inquiring about the parts made from your other thread I would probably still make them on a CNC or screw machine. Roll forming would be another option possibly but I have never seen that done other than youtube. I have seen some rollers for sale once in a while at various auctions.
    FROM what i have heard from my peers, roll forming is the best method. but unfortunately, at the moment, i don't have the capital to invest in a thread-rolling machine, hence forcing me to look for alternative methods such as using the lathe.

but hey, what exactly is a pipe-threader ? never heard of this animal before ? what exactly is its capacity ? throw some more light on it please ?
    Last edited by ZAVERI; 01-06-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by propanehotrod View Post
    Yes it can work but you must understand that you will not get A+ quality threads this way.
    Also a lot of cheap dies are for re-threading not threading. Make sure you get a quality die that is SHARP
    Use cutting oil or better yet tapping fluid like tapmagic.
    will i still get quality threads if i use a die of the best quality along with the required tapping fluids ?

A threading die like shown sucks on a lathe. They make die heads for lathes to cut threads. A die head opens at the end of the thread to remove the chasers from contact with the thread. The head then is withdrawn from the threaded part without reversing the spindle.

A pipe threader also uses a die head.

CNC machines have made die heads pretty much obsolete. ebay has lots for sale cheap, but make sure you know what you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    U put the die in the tail stock. And leave it unlocked so it will slide and make sure the carriage is not in the way and use the lathes slowest speed. Pretty easy. U can use a tap also and get perfect straight job
    use a tap ? i believe taps are for female threads .

Quote Originally Posted by Advan View Post
    It would be much better to use the tailstock due to its centre being on the same axis as the spindle's. Hence, these devices do exist.

Name:  4881540.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  60.2 KB
    thanks a lot buddy for the image. what is the name of that attachment or device which holds the die

I have a low-end CNC lathe piece of cake to cut using the right tool bit. The other day I threaded a 3 millimeter by 0.5 thread pitch on the end of a rat tail tang on a knife blade.

something like this is what you're looking for

https://www.amazon.com/Gyros-94-0173...183CXDHMRCCPS5
    Last edited by ICEcap; 01-06-2017 at 12:38 AM.

Of course a die will work. For production use a head that threads and then opens at the end of the stroke. Here's a couple vids to get you started. Rolled threads are great but your tooling cost is likely a lot higher to get started.

For cut threads use a geometric die head.

For rolled threads use an axial thread rolling head.

Last edited by forhire; 01-06-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAVERI View Post
    use a tap ? i believe taps are for female threads .
    That's correct. U can put a tap or die in the tail stock.