Found this square D panel on CL will it work as a sub panel?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Found this square D panel on CL will it work as a sub panel?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/5946009716.html

I have been wanting to add a sub panel in my garage for a while now and stumbled upon this add on CL.

would this be an adequate sub panel?

Would it be able to pass code being used as a sub panel? I figure I should be able to use at least one 50 amp 220v breaker and a few 20 amp 120v breakers.

what do you all think? Are these any good?

here is a link to the panel on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schnei.../dp/B004Q0AZZK
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-05-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building

Re: Found this square D panel on CL will it work as a sub panel?

It should be fine, Homeline panels are Square D's economy line. Make sure all the pieces are with the panel, a few missing pieces can make the price of it MORE than a new one at the big box.
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

Yep, it sure will work and have more than enough space for anything you sound like youll ever run.
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

You can put more than a few 20 amp breakers in there. Chances are, you will not be running all the loads at once and not at full capacity either. break up the plugs as much as you can to prevent tripping later on.
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

The plan is to be able to use my welder, a plasma cutter and air compressor all of which will be on 240v 50 amp breakers. I already have a sub panel in the laundry room for the home electrical. For now I have been using a 50 amp breaker I added to that panel. So as long as I can get one more 50 amp 240v breaker on a separate panel I should be good to go. Can't use a plasma and welder at he same time. Well not unti I have a CNC table for the plasma. That may or might never happen.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-05-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    The plan is to be able to use my welder, a plasma cutter and air compressor all of which will be on 240v 50 amp breakers. I already have a sub panel in the laundry room for the home electrical. For now I have been using a 50 amp breaker I added to that panel. So as long as I can get one more 50 amp 240v breaker on a separate panel I should be good to go. Can't use a plasma and welder at he same time. Well not unti I have a CNC table for the plasma. That may or might never happen.
    What size breaker are you planning on putting in your main panel?
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

It is a GE main. I think it has room for another breaker. Have not got that far yet. If the Squar D panel is 125 amp then is that the limit or just go with a 100 amp breaker? I honestly don't know.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Do you know how many amps your main box is? It most likely does have room, but I would get an electrician to help connecting to the main though. A 100 amp at the main and then a 70 or 80 at the sub panel is what I would put.
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

Not sure about the main. Been a long time since I looked at it. One of my girlfriends cousin is married to an electrician. Cool guy I will probably ask him to help with the main panel and breaker.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-05-2017 at 03:53 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

That is a MAIN LUG panel Tony. That means that this panel has NO MAIN BREAKER SHUTOFF in it and it only uses the HOMELINE breakers. Homeline is the homeowner stuff which is below their SQUARE '' D'' QO breakers. The BREAKER for this new panel will be in your existing panel and needs to be sized for the load on the new panel. So if you want a 100 amps to the new panel you'll need a 100 amp breaker and the wire sized for a 100 amps.
    Personally , I have ALL SQUARE '' D '' panels and breakers. That makes having spare breakers on handy that can fit any panel.

DB1, you are correct. I didnt look at the panel, just saw the "Square" in the link. I would recommend Tony get a matching panel as well, preferably one with a main breaker shutoff inside of itself.
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

Looks like he is selling them in bulk anyway.

"Will sell all 40 units for $400. Or 5 units for $100. "
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Yeah he never got back to my inquiry about buying a panel.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

I prefer the QO line myself but the HL breakers are just fine.

I don't offer wiring advice anymore since these kind of threads always turn into pages of debate about electrical code, sizing, etc. I threw a six space HL box in my garage 14 plus years ago and feed it with a 50 amp service from the main box in my basement. I didn't do anything to code, but it's all safe and has been looked over by three competent licensed electricians who all told me I did a more than sufficient job on it. I used a single line with split bolts feeding several drops which are all fused individually.

Best answer, consult an electrician and get it done right. My next shop will be done properly with individual breakers feeding from the box. I'll be using QO since that's what I like.

There's several guys here that give great advice. Rhunt, willie b, big b and a couple others I can't remember their their names at the moment.

Good luck with it

Inquire about 5 then sell 4 individually for 25 or 30 bucks.

This is the panel I feed from my generator:http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-PowerM...-202978668-_-N

Of course it's bigger than what you are looking for and three phase, but I have a 150A output breaker on the generator panel which feeds this Main Lug Only panel. I then feed through a 100A sub breaker a pin and sleeve, a 60A pin and sleeve through another breaker, and several pieces of equipment with other breakers. There are also single phase loads protected by appropriate breakers. It would be the same if a single phase panel. Not hard to do, just need to ensure the circuit, and circuits are protected. Really doesn't make much difference if you use a panel with a main breaker, or a main lug only panel given you will be protecting it by a circuit breaker from the supply panel. Main Lug Only panels are usually less expensive to acquire due to lacking a main breaker in the design.

I normally prefer the "QO" series by Square D also but the GE panel had copper stabs and ground buss bar and I had several breakers of the series required so all good.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....