Evolution Versus Morse Cold Cut Saw
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Evolution Versus Morse Cold Cut Saw

So I am looking for a cold cut saw. I really want to stay away from abrasive wheels and I can't cough up the money for a decent horizontal bandsaw So I have decided between the Evolution 380 and the MK Morse CSM14MB. Anybody have any experience with either one of these. I am kinda leaning towards the Morse because I have heard some bad things about the clamp on the Evolution. Input would be much appreciated.

Mahalo!

Re: Evolution Versus Morse Cold Cut Saw

The Morse metal devil is a nice saw. I've used one and paired with their angle jaws for the vise, it's a great setup. Dunno if the saw you posted is the same, but I was pretty impressed with their offerings.

If I were going to buy a dry cut saw, that would be the one.

Yeah that model is the 14" metal devil.

I think Milwaukee makes one as well. Actually after just looking they dropped it several years ago.
    Last edited by Showdog75; 01-05-2017 at 07:17 PM.

I run the SteelMax S14 and also have their circular saw (the Steelmax S9). They both work amazing, their blades last a really long time. Bases are cast and solid. I've cut well beyond the blades stated thickness capacity just fine. Can't believe that I had got along without them. I have three blades for the S14, one for carbon steel, one for aluminum, and one for stainless.

--Wintermute
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

Yeah, I'll have to check out the S14. I like the Morse and have heard good things about it but the cost of blades is 20% to almost double the cost of the evolution blades. I guess I could always put the evolution blades on if they are compatible...

I bought the Rage 2 for $99.00 on clearance and hated it. I had to shim it to cut square. Made a few cuts and sold it for $100.00.

Yeah that's the other issue I have heard of with evolution products, they seem kind of hit and miss... I think I'll go with the Morse after some research into other brands. The saws that are meant for metal cutting all seem to be in the $400-$500 range.

I have the Morse and like it. I also have the V-Blocks. The only problem or annoyance is cutting angles. Depending on the size of material you have to remove the blocks, and re-adjust the clamp blocking. It's not hard, but I've gotten used to my Rage 3 for cutting angles so quickly. The rage though isn't as accurate as the Morse though. Both saws have their place I guess. Surprisingly I got my Morse at the local steel supply house on a good deal. It had been sitting a while.

There is a Morse in our gate shop at work, it is almost in constant use, it replaced a milwaukee and before that a porter cable. The guys love it and appears tobe very durable. I have used it to cut stuff for other projects around the shops and it works well, I would recommend it.
    Regards
    Dave

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'd be looking for a used bandsaw before I'd submit to the noise, abuse and sparks a cheap "cold cut saw" is going to produce. (People calling them cold saws are liars and marketers. They spin fast, spark a lot, don't use coolant and make lousy cuts). Haven't seen one that cut straight or accurately mitered worth a damn. Comparatively I spent $300 on a used Ramco horizontal band saw and that thing works fantastic for making heavy cuts, I can cut up to 14"x9" stock with some creative fixturing.

I also have a *REAL* cold saw, a Haberle H350, but that's even more of a pipe dream if you're on a budget.

My steelmax cuts dead straight, miters perfectly, is loud, but fast and leaves a clean cut. You are right that they aren't coldsaws though. I have a ramco (well, Carolina, but it's the same as the Ramco) bandsaw...they are terrible bandsaws. I use my Steelmax far more than the bandsaw.

--Wintermute
    Manufacturer Agnostic:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    My steelmax cuts dead straight, miters perfectly, is loud, but fast and leaves a clean cut. You are right that they aren't coldsaws though. I have a ramco (well, Carolina, but it's the same as the Ramco) bandsaw...they are terrible bandsaws. I use my Steelmax far more than the bandsaw.

--Wintermute
    That Steelmax vise looks like a joke to me and it's over a hundo more than the price OP wants to spend on the saws he listed above so he's going to get even flimsier workholding at that kind of price point. Steelmax may be a good return for its cost but I sincerely question how good its cuts are compared to my 30 year old Haberle.

The Ramco/Carolina is no Ellis or Kalamazoo, on that I'll agree completely, but again weighing cost/return I have nothing bad to say for what I paid used for my Ramco, and good luck doing this with anything less than a 12" bandsaw, given how I have to move the bandsaw to the cut in order to slice these weight becomes a very big problem:

Name:  bandsawtrailer1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  bandsawtrailer2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  72.0 KB

Personally I'd still be looking at quality used on CL or forums over new.

I bought the evolution last year and I have absolutely loved it. If you are interested, I put together a couple of review videos on youtube. It's a pretty solidly built saw. Youtube links can be found on the facebook page in my signature.
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Harbor Freight 90 Amp FluxCore
    Evolution EVO380 Chop Saw
    Evolution EVOMAG75 Mag Drill

https://www.facebook.com/weldnstuff/

No issues with the clamp or fence on the Evolution? The issue I'm running out here on buying used is that Hawaii is only so big. Even shipping a bandsaw like greenbuggy's interisland can be expensive, nevermind the mainland. Amazon prime and new are my only real options unless I want to wait 5-10 years for a used deal to pop up.

I personally haven't had an issue with the clamp. I usually check with a square whenever I cut an angle but that's just me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Harbor Freight 90 Amp FluxCore
    Evolution EVO380 Chop Saw
    Evolution EVOMAG75 Mag Drill

https://www.facebook.com/weldnstuff/

The clamp and fence on the s14 is far stronger than the one on the evolution. It's also far stronger and more rigid than the clamp on the ramco/carolina bandsaw

--Wintermute
    Manufacturer Agnostic:

The clamp and fence on the s14 is far stronger than the one on the evolution. It's also far stronger and more rigid than the clamp on the ramco/carolina bandsaw

--Wintermute
    Gets the job done, and cost less than your saw. If you want to start a pissing match, the vise on my Haberle weighs more than your whole saw, and your website is broke to boot. <3

Not a pissing match bud. Just trying to provide the op with info on the saws. If you haven't used an mk morse, a steelmax, and a evolution, you shouldn't be commenting on their capabilities. I've used two of those, and the ramco/carolina bandsaw which is why I'm commenting on them. I won't comment on your Haberle since I haven't used one. Website right now is being rebuilt, however good job being petty .

--Wintermute
    Manufacturer Agnostic:

Not a pissing match bud. Just trying to provide the op with info on the saws. If you haven't used an mk morse, a steelmax, and a evolution, you shouldn't be commenting on their capabilities. I've used two of those, and the ramco/carolina bandsaw which is why I'm commenting on them.
    I've also used two of those (not the steelmax) and a couple other so-called "cold cut" and abrasive saws, I stand by my assertion that they're loud, have inadequate clamping and depending on who is providing blades often have blade wander or flex (which is admittedly also very operator dependent) and make a mess to boot. I'm not pulling for the Ramco/Carolina as a top of the line or exceptional saw, if you look at my top post the exact phrase I used was "used bandsaw" though I probably should have clarified and specified a used one with coolant. Anyone with a tooling budget wants to spend as little as they can to get as much done as they can, I think most of us have been there.

I was a beginner too once and my cutting abilities far from optimized, I'm not too proud to admit I'm a petty *** but I don't want OP to mistakenly think that these oft-misrepresented "cold cut saws" are all sunshines and rainbows either.
    Last edited by greenbuggy; 01-15-2017 at 09:11 PM.