Compressor casters
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Compressor casters

Compressor sits in a little alcove but in front of the electrical panel, time to put it on wheels because it is super heavy when I need to get at that panel.
    Little simple job that just reinforces the fact its nice to be able to put little projects together at will sometimes.
    needed single stud casters to go into some existing feet on the compressor, but I had some good regular casters laying around. I cut some 3" square plates and drilled a 1/2" hole through the center, then cut the head off some grade 8 bolts and blind welded them into the hole. Presto, single stud caster, heavy duty.

Name:  compressor wheel 1.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  compressor wheels 2.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  69.0 KB
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 AC/DC, Miller 300 Syncrowave, Millermatic 251, 30A spool gun, Lincoln MP 210, (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV, Few SA 200's, SAM 400, OA Torch, Portaband,
    14 ft Enclosed trailer

Re: Compressor casters

kolot

You have built a 'death machine' . . . consider a total deconstruction . . .

Panels - by code require 'x feet' of access clearance - you ain't got it.

And the compressor 'is a hog on ice' - that will 'slab' you in an instant,
    [momentum, gravity, and center of mass is really quick/heavy] . . .

Fix both conditions - park the compressor somewhere else - and anchor
    [with vibration damping/shock mounts].

Opus

Last edited by OPUS FERRO; 01-06-2017 at 01:27 AM. Reason: good vibes . . .

I gota agree with above, unless you use rubber wheels and can build a restraint to prevent the compressor from tipping over..

Gentleman, gentleman, thank you for the concern but I have many hazards in my limited space, gas storage, gasoline storage, an auto lift. simply can eliminate all hazards but what you can do is mitigate them. The compressor is very stable and not tippy at all, rolls very nicely and does not move at all while running. it is an older low rpm quality unit that does not shuck and jive itself all over the floor. In fact it don't even vibrate. so not to worry about me crushing myself. It has sat on the floor for years on its angle iron clips. My son has worked in the compressor service and repair industry for a few years now, and sees many large large units right on concrete, some are on isolators.
    as far as the code requirement for my panel, your probably correct, this is in my residential garage and does not see the public. The biggest hazard I see from my compressor and any compressor when you think about it is explosion hazard. If a compressor ruptures in your close proximity the rest won't matter. I understand the concerns but it's not as bad as you think. Now as far as a restraint it might be a good idea just for precaution. easy to put bracket on wall and run chain but believe me I was concerned with it being top heavy , had a hard time rocking it to slip the casters on.

Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 AC/DC, Miller 300 Syncrowave, Millermatic 251, 30A spool gun, Lincoln MP 210, (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV, Few SA 200's, SAM 400, OA Torch, Portaband,
    14 ft Enclosed trailer

Quote Originally Posted by kolot View Post
    ...believe me I was concerned with it being top heavy , had a hard time rocking it to slip the casters on.
    Maybe it's half full of water?

Restaurant use wheel chocks that keeps their mobile stuff in place. http://www.dormont.com/products/ps

nice chocks, its got auto drain, but if it makes guys happy I can add some water, ha ha. Nice old school compressor, 1745 RPM after pulleys the pump probably runs 800.

14 ft Enclosed trailer