Help getting fire bricks in firebox - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Help getting fire bricks in firebox

Those bricks you have are the right product for the job, you just need to go to a masonry supply store and buy fire glue. Fire glue is a premixed adhesive that can withstand the high temperatures unlike regular cement based products. The company that I work for built a wood burning oven in a bakery that ran 6 days a week for 8 years before the fire bricks started to deteriorate and needed to be replaced. BTW I should add that i'm a mason by trade.
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Miller Spectrum 375 X-treme Plasma
    Craftex CX600 Mill (Grizzly G0604)
    King Industrial Swivel Head Band Saw

Welding Table Build.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...%29&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    He said use some hi temp cement mortor in between the blocks. Do u think cement holds to stainless steel good?
    Yes the product I was talking about hardens like glass if you don't get it off of your trowel you have to grind it off once it hardens overnight.

I couldnt find the fire glue called 2 places.

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    I couldnt find the fire glue called 2 places.
    Ask for refractory cement it comes premix and bagged.
    they also make something similar in a tube/ caulk gun style.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I can't remember the name brand of fire brick cement we used in the boilers ,but it came dry in a 2 1/2 gallon size bucket,we added water too it until it was almost soupy , dipped the brick on the edges we wanted bonded and laid them up with almost no mortar gap (1/8" maybe) they stayed in place nicely for years .

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    I can't remember the name brand of fire brick cement we used in the boilers ,but it came dry in a 2 1/2 gallon size bucket,we added water too it until it was almost soupy , dipped the brick on the edges we wanted bonded and laid them up with almost no mortar gap (1/8" maybe) they stayed in place nicely for years .
    I had a mess trying to use it as it came (pretty mixed greenpatch), it was about consistency of peanut butter. These were partial pails left over from a job, which was given to me free. Undoubtedly it had lost some moisture from prior use, but everything I could find said not to thin, or thin very little.
    The brick sucks the moisture out so fast, and I was trying to butter the faces. I did not end up with a desirable end result.

I ended up finding a video on YouTube of a manufacturer doing it exactly as you described (the cement literally dripped off), after I was mostly done! Needless to say the last little bit I had to do went A LOT better!

I wouldn't have thought to thin it that much from the experience of laying block.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

Dural 452 gel construction adhesive. Use it all the time in fireplaces.

Nice Job moto, Did you make sure you calculated the space taken up by firebricks into your firebox size? Looks as tho theyre taking up a lot of real estate. Its important to the overall function of your reverse flow...I couldn't add bricks to mine B/C I didn't think about it before my build. However it seems to function ok without them, even using it now at our ski center on bitter cold days. Just wait till you use it and enjoy all that hard work with some awesome smoked meats...Good job!

Concerning fire boxes in general......I don't think having the fire right on the floor (of any style of cooker/smoker fire box) is the best of ideas. What I like to do is to build a removable grate system that holds it 3 to 4 inches off the floor. And then put the air inlet damper as low as possible on the door. The idea being is that you want the inlet combustion air to come in and be able to go up thru the fire.

Moto,
    put some thought into getting that thing out of the garage also.

mine was BALLS heavy and had to weld D-rings on and hoist it with a chainfall. those bricks and 1/4" plate are heavy.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

@ motolife313 - after your bricks are integrated, apply Heat Stop 50. Many forges use HS50 to line their castable fire bricks.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Moto, my fireplace has 2 clips (one on each side) to hold the last installed fire bricks in place. No glue.
    _____Gauntlets_____

____Genesis 4:22___

Needs some suggestions again, I don't really wanna put brick in the door because it will not work at easy since I wanna put holes in the door and want the door to be protected by some insulator. I'm building a stainless frame to hold in the some kind of concrete motor mix? I would then put a layer of 1/8 or 16 gauge sheet over to protect it and I plan to do the same over the insulating bricks I have so they will stay protected. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  55.9 KB it's not finished yet. It's 1/4 1.5" angle and 5/16 door. Thanks a lot if u have suggestion Name:  image.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  51.9 KBthis angle takes forever to cut at a 45 degree angle

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    I started looking around at the Smith Sharpe website and noticed they have a bunch of products for pizza ovens, outdoor fireplaces etc. They sell KILN FLOOR shiplap tiles - 12x12, 12x18, 12x24 ....
    I tried looking for them and didn't see them. I seen the fiberfrax, I looked ok.