Good thing about old shops - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Good thing about old shops

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Actually the gasoline heater's output air is much hotter than the later water to air variants. I've been around a lot of them in the aviation areas and they are quite common in usage with air cooled engines. Antique cars and truck which used the "South-Wind" heaters usually didn't run them wide open very long and automobiles in those days didn't have insulation qualities of later models.
    Sweet... it's going in my 46 cj2a so it's a bit drafty even with a new soft top. Looking forward to getting it going now

Quote Originally Posted by Michael ray View Post
    Sweet... it's going in my 46 cj2a so it's a bit drafty even with a new soft top. Looking forward to getting it going now
    You will like it for sure. One tip is to use stainless exhaust pipe so it lasts a good while. The condensation that forms when the heater cools down will rot carbon, or aluminized steel pretty quickly in cool and humid climates and you do want the heater's exhaust system very intact and air tight to flue gasses.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

I really haven't messed with it much but I didn't see an exhaust port. I thought that the vacuum pulled fresh air into the combustion chamber then the exhaust was pulled through the vacuum...I wish I hadn't closed up the shop and hour ago or I'd go check it out a little bit more. Either way it's going to happen, too cool of a piece to just let it sit and I can fab up anything I may have to have for it

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    Actually the gasoline heater's output air is much hotter than the later water to air variants. I've been around a lot of them in the aviation areas and they are quite common in usage with air cooled engines. Antique cars and truck which used the "South-Wind" heaters usually didn't run them wide open very long and automobiles in those days didn't have insulation qualities of later models.
    In '98-'99 I had an M-123 military 10 ton 6x6 truck with a Diesel fueled heater mounted on the drivers side fender. In 10 degree temps that thing could nearly drive you out of the cab. It had the canvas top and a huge winch behind the cab, it was all Mack except the miserable 765? CI cummins V8 engine. We were using it to drag stuff to a drilling site.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    In '98-'99 I had an M-123 military 10 ton 6x6 truck with a Diesel fueled heater mounted on the drivers side fender. In 10 degree temps that thing could nearly drive you out of the cab. It had the canvas top and a huge winch behind the cab, it was all Mack except the miserable 765? CI cummins V8 engine. We were using it to drag stuff to a drilling site.
    I had an old M54A1 w/Mack 673T diesel with basically the same setup but gasoline fueled and you are "spot on" with your description. Top of your head would be cold from the snow cover on the canvas roof panel and your lungs hard a hard time breathing the blast furnace output of the "South-Wind" heater.
    Slob

I had to research it some more..the combustion chamber is about the size of my gas trimmer cylinder.
    From what I have been reading the combustion happens inside the chamber which is under a vacuum from the engine vacuum. It states that if engine vacuum is lost it simply goes out.
    It does have a floating tapered plug that allows fresh air in and the vacuum pulls the exhaust gases out while drawing fuel in through the supply tube.
    It has a thermal switch which I am thinking shuts the glow plug off when it is hot.
    I guess I'll take the time this week to set up a fuel supply and a vacuum and see what happens. Everything seems to be in good condition and honestly the heater is one of my least concerns in this jeep.
    It's overpowered, underbraked, and just flat out dangerous.
    I can't wait to get it finished

I had to research it some more..the combustion chamber is about the size of my gas trimmer cylinder.
    From what I have been reading the combustion happens inside the chamber which is under a vacuum from the engine vacuum. It states that if engine vacuum is lost it simply goes out.
    It does have a floating tapered plug that allows fresh air in and the vacuum pulls the exhaust gases out while drawing fuel in through the supply tube.
    It has a thermal switch which I am thinking shuts the glow plug off when it is hot.
    I guess I'll take the time this week to set up a fuel supply and a vacuum and see what happens. Everything seems to be in good condition and honestly the heater is one of my least concerns in this jeep.
    It's overpowered, underbraked, and just flat out dangerous.
    I can't wait to get it finished
    Seen that design a lot in older cars. Some had a noticeable power/performance degrading when the heater was operational where more modern higher compression engines did not make any difference. Most of those type heaters I've seen in general aviation aircraft, (private owned) used the heaters with exhaust ports and the slipstream pulls the air and exhaust through the unit. Typically these have a fan also for operation on the ground, or use ducting from "Prop Wash" to push air through. I've seen several variants.
    Slob

I'm going to supply it with vacuum from an electric vacuum pump. I have a spare 12v auxiliary vacuum pump off a 2000 f350...I think it may pull enough vacuum to keep the heater running steady.
    I was kinda concerned about manifold vacuum not being strong enough since I usually driving wide open

I'm going to supply it with vacuum from an electric vacuum pump. I have a spare 12v auxiliary vacuum pump off a 2000 f350...I think it may pull enough vacuum to keep the heater running steady.
    I was kinda concerned about manifold vacuum not being strong enough since I usually driving wide open
    That or a vacuum canister/reservoir would work. Most high lift long duration camshafts provide little manifold vacuum anyways.
    Slob

Pretty much a stock 5.3 v8 from a suburban..only altercations are a cold air intake,headers and a tune in the pcm for more timing and a richer A/F target.
    Not really sure if that little heater exhaust would make a difference on the fuel injection. With the auxiliary pump, I could run the heat even if the jeep wasn't running...might be real nice for frosty cold windows. I'll just turn the heat on a few minutes before I go anywhere

Well I got over to the farm shop this afternoon so I took a picture of my heater
    Name:  IMG_1162.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  71.9 KB
    And I also went out and found you all a picture of the Gulf sign
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    The only constant in life is there is never enough chains

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    Well I got over to the farm shop this afternoon so I took a picture of my heater
    And I also went out and found you all a picture of the Gulf sign
    You have a gold mine in both that old lump coal furnace, (actually stove) and sign.
    Slob

Sorry about the sideways picture.
    Name:  IMG_1170.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  78.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1180.jpg
Size:  38.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1178.jpg
Size:  85.2 KB

Truck looks like an IH R-130? If not an IH it has the "Chicago Cab" which they marketed to many vendors whom built trucks into the 1970's.
    Slob

I'm going to date myself with this one, but here goes. Back in the 60's, we would drive several miles south in Missouri to visit some friends of my parents. While there we would "tour" some of the old property around there. I still remember the musty smell of unoccupied houses that seem to have been abandoned, yet full of these kinds of treasures. An antiquer's paradise.

Jim
    Jim,

I don't mean to be argumentative and cantankerous,
    but I am getting older and a bit crotchety!

Addendum; AND CRANKY

Quote Originally Posted by welditforyou View Post
    I'm going to date myself with this one, but here goes. Back in the 60's, we would drive several miles south in Missouri to visit some friends of my parents. While there we would "tour" some of the old property around there. I still remember the musty smell of unoccupied houses that seem to have been abandoned, yet full of these kinds of treasures. An antiquer's paradise.

Jim
    me too but my family history is in that area. I grew up in St. Louis after the war due to the industrial base there.
    Slob

I grew up in Kansas City, MO cause that's where mom and dad's car broke down after dad was discharged from the Army . . . smile
    Our sewer water flows to St.Louis . . . just an observation . . . another smile

Jim
    Jim,

Addendum; AND CRANKY

I grew up in Kansas City, MO cause that's where mom and dad's car broke down after dad was discharged from the Army . . . smile
    Our sewer water flows to St.Louis . . . just an observation . . . another smile

Jim
    That old rivalry still stands eh? Remember it well from east to west of the state..... My family is from the Puxico area which is south of St. Louis and Poplar Bluff. Was just over working in Independence the middle of September at the Geospace center but that was for recertification on tower climbing. I get all over the Midwest for work but never know where I'm going except for a couple days notice. All good and beats the shi* out of the alternative.
    Slob

I suppose there is still a little of the "rivalry" thing going on, especially with the sports teams. My wife is the president of one of the state accounting organizations for Kansas City. The other big one is St. Louis. So there is a bit of this "kidding" that goes on between sides. I was at the geospace complex last Friday myself. Not anything welding related but to have a bunch of accounting documents shredded by a bonded government approved facility. It's a pretty good sized place. Once you get inside the cave system a little bit, the temp stabilizes at about 58 degrees. Not bad in January.

Jim
    Jim,

Addendum; AND CRANKY

That is a pretty good story Jim. I am pretty sure that is an IH truck Slob. I tried to open the door which opened a few years ago, but might be frozen shut today. I would have to do a little more looking to be sure. The gauges look a lot like what was in the 1600 and 1700's we used to keep around.

Name:  IMG_1176.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1176.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  57.3 KB
    three diamonds in the steering wheel center cap give it away as an IH. Definitely a 50's vintage R series truck. If that steering wheel horn button needs a home, I'd certainly appreciate it as I have about a dozen or so from different trucks that will be mounted to a wallboard.
    Slob

I suppose there is still a little of the "rivalry" thing going on, especially with the sports teams. My wife is the president of one of the state accounting organizations for Kansas City. The other big one is St. Louis. So there is a bit of this "kidding" that goes on between sides. I was at the geospace complex last Friday myself. Not anything welding related but to have a bunch of accounting documents shredded by a bonded government approved facility. It's a pretty good sized place. Once you get inside the cave system a little bit, the temp stabilizes at about 58 degrees. Not bad in January.

Jim
    I can believe it as it was rampant when I was a boy. I haven't followed sports in about 40 years and left the area in 1976 after grandpa retired. Never have been back except to visit old friends once or twice but that's been about 30 years or so too.
    Slob

PM me some shipping details Slob. You want the whole truck to go with it?

PM me some shipping details Slob. You want the whole truck to go with it?
    Oh man you are going to make my wife want to nutt me for sure cause I can't say "no" to any old truck; especially Mack. I'll pm you an address and really do appreciate it. You remove those carefully by placing the palm of your hand solidly upon the face and push down, then turn to left with a slow but deliberate motion. The aluminum face is crimped to the "Bakelite" plastic substrate and they can break easily when aged. No problem if it does break upon removal as the back won't be seen once mounted. Hopefully that one will clean up nice as I don't have the "three diamonds" emblem in my collection.
    Slob