Mig Nozzle Gel
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Mig Nozzle Gel

Mig Nozzle Gel

Hi, I have been lurking on this site for over a year, I finally purchased a Lincoln 180 Dual to use for Automotive work and light fabrication. I am new to welding and I was wondering about this nozzle gel, do any of you guys use it, and if so, do you prefer one brand over the other and why? I haven't found much information on it. I plan on doing MIG and Flux Core and do I use it on both processes. I am concerned about weld contamination if using the gel, any help would be appreciated.

Re: Mig Nozzle Gel

I used a few different kinds, I can't tell the difference from one to the next. They do a decent job. Just do some welding and dip it hot. Don't need to cake it on there just a little dip and be done.

You don't 'need' it but it can help with cleaning out the nozzles here and there. One little jar will last you a long long time
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig/stick
    Everlast 160STH
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Digital Tig
    Razorweld & SSC Dealer

I use cooking spray like Pam, spray em and wipe off excess. You can usually just tap the nozzle and the ring will drop off.
    TA210, 180C, IDEALARC AC/DC, N.T. PLASMA

I plan to try the ceramic spray when I use up the gel I have.

Seems like those using it really like it, but it is expensive.
    https://www.amazon.com/Walter-Surfac.../dp/B00SWK3O3K
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

Pam for grilling keeps the OSHA inspector happy.

I use some welding Gel that I got from Airgas a long time ago when i was a customer there. The stuff really lasts a long time. I run straight CO2 with my Miller 252 and it helps to minimize the spatter.

I just dip the nose of the torch in the jar now and then when it's hot. It also keeps the inner tip and outer cone nice and clean.
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set

I can not tell the difference between the tubs of Lincoln Electric and Hobart jells I have. It really works and yes good for both solid/gas or flux cored wire welding. Sure it would be good for dual shielded wire welding as well.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-07-2017 at 02:49 AM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic w/ Spool Gun & Foot Pedal, Victor Performer O/A, Makita LC 1230 Dry Saw, Milwaukee 14" Abrasive Saw, 2x Milwaukee Porta-Band 6232, Makita 5" angle grinder, a few 4.5" HF angle grinders, Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

I also never noticed the difference in brands. Trick is to dip hot, hang with gun downward to drain then use after coffee break. Doing this at each coffee break and lunch lets you weld all day with no problems. It is important to drain the gun when hot. I have seen people dip too much so that the diffuser holes inside the nozzle are plugged up with the grease/gel. Also run a short bead on scrap after dipping in case you have contamination. It is a good idea to also do this with spray.

I use the ceramic nozzle spray for alum work and it does a great job. I have recently started using it on my plasma nozzles and shields as well. Gel still does a good job when might welding steel as long as you extend the wire and clip it after dipping. Yes, do not invert the nozzle.
    Last edited by shovelon; 01-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

I bought this from Zoro Tools on their 30% off and free shipping. It's shown as a tin paint can type lid BUT it is really a plastic container. You cannot beat the price ! Stuffs works well too. Heavy Duty Nozzle Dip Gel 32 oz. $6.96
    https://www.zoro.com/weld-aid-heavy-...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachment 1585951

I use a light spray of Pam down the nozzle - get hungry for french fries while welding.

I like gel because it doesn't require I can dip and keep on welding. Non flammible too.

I use ceramic spray on MIG and Plasma consumables......as recommended by Shovelon.

Bloody good stuff.
    CIG 320SP pulse mig
    Mitech ACDC315P
    Samson 510 CNC plasma table
    Hypertherm 85
    Etc, etc.

"You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    I use ceramic spray on MIG and Plasma consumables......as recommended by Shovelon.

Bloody good stuff.
    don't bogart that spray, My friend.

fess up.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    don't bogart that spray, My friend.
    Wow! somebody is showing their age.

I just dip the tip. I just use the gel from the local farm and feed store.
    RGL Motorsports #129
    RL Ironworks - Random side stuff....

Well worth the 50 cents I gave for it at a yard sell 12 years ago. Still half full. LOL
    Millermatic 350P
    Miller Bobcat 225NT
    Syncrowave 250
    Coolmate 3
    Millermatic Vintage
    Hypertherm 1000

I use the Hobart brand. They all work better than nothing. You want to dip the nozzle when it's hot, and then burn off the excess on a scrap piece of metal. It's almost like grease. It drastically helps to remove spatter from the nozzle and contact tip. The cheap brands have a more harsh smoke than better brands. I heard that you can use Vaseline or Pam cooking spray too. I've never tried them but the cooking spray is designed for high temperature applications.

i've used a couple/few brands of the dip. it does an ok job but it's messy. i much prefer nozzel kleen spray by weld-aid. another use; i on occasion spray parts i don't want spatter to stick to. the hydrocarbon scent is pretty cool too.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

I just watched a video of Jody Weldmonger making a 3 post adjustable pedestal shop stool and he used Pam spray for the allthread rod to prevent the weld spatter from sticking to the threads. Aparently the Pam cooking spray is user friendly and has no required MSD safety sheets
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-10-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic w/ Spool Gun & Foot Pedal, Victor Performer O/A, Makita LC 1230 Dry Saw, Milwaukee 14" Abrasive Saw, 2x Milwaukee Porta-Band 6232, Makita 5" angle grinder, a few 4.5" HF angle grinders, Lincoln Viking 4C 3350