Trailer dovetail questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Trailer dovetail questions

I was talking to a friend today and he mentioned wanting a 4' dovetail added to his gooseneck trailer. Now my question is how much drop is that going to have? Is there a standard drop for a 2' or a 4' dovetail? Appreciate your time.

Re: Trailer dovetail questions

I think that it's going to be dependent on how tall the deck is, and how much ground clearance is desired one then tail is done.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

I doubt you could come up with any type of "standard". You can do most anything you want. Loading angle should be considered, because too steep can make it hard to load or you may have trouble bottoming out on the bend depending on what is hauled. Also if they want fold over ramps with legs that make it flat for hauling hay and such you will want to make sure that the leg length and drop match so the legs both are flat when folded and work as legs when down. On a 4' beaver I think anything over about 6" or so will cause bottoming when loading cars. Too steep and traction can be an issue.

Jon
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

I agree there is no standard. You need to take in to consideration what welderj brought up when doing the dovetail on any trailer too low and you will drag too steep and traction problems as well as car frames bottoming out. (had that once on a Olds with flat tires)
    Just my 2 cents worth!
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers and Clamps!

What kind of gooseneck? I'm assuming it's a flatbed and not a utility trailer. I've built several trailers and I never used a standard. The way I figured the drop was to combine the length of the dovetail and the ramps when folded out. Then, I measured from the top of the deck to ground level with the calculated length. Under normal terrain, the ramps should be in a straight line with the gooseneck. Just a thought.

Its a car hauler with the deck tween the tires. He was saying he had to back the truck onto ramps to get a better angle on the trailer ramps(removable).

Not a lot of vertical space between the ground and the deck of "deck between the wheels" for much of a beaver tail.
    The load's sound light like a low rider truck…. longer ramps?

Make another set of ramps with legs on one end about 6" or so high and maybe 3 or 4' long so you can use the existing ramps for what they work for and when loading cars use the extra set to lengthen them.

Jon
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

I've done one on a car trailer. I don't think I have any pics. IIRC, the tail started shortly after the fenders, was only about 2' long and dropped 4-6". Prolly closer to 6" than 4". Underside was cut a bit to help with ground clearance.
    My name's not Jim....

Several of those trailers have a 2ft dovetail. Believe it's about a 6" drop. Makes a huge difference. If it has an adjustable gooseneck, you could gain a better angle that way too.

Just got back in town, I'll see the fella in the morning and tell 'em what yall said.