Thread starts
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Thread starts

Thread starts

CONSIDER THIS EXAMPLE: I HAVE GOT A STEEL TUBE OF O.D 30mm AND I.D 20mm, AND LENGTH 60mm. IF I MAKE SOME FEMALE METRIC THREADS, (INTERNAL THREADS), THROUGH THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE COMPONENT, AND THEN CUT THE TUBE IN 3 PIECES OF EQUAL LENGTHS OF 20mm EACH, THEN WHAT WILL BE THE CONDITION OF THE THREADS IN THE PIECE, THAT WAS ORIGINALLY PRESENT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ORIGINAL COMPONENT ? WILL IT HAVE A GOOD THREAD START ?

Re: Thread starts

You will need to chamfer each peice. If your chamfer tool is nice and sharp it should be fine.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

what lathe are u using? Ya you will be ok. Cut away, or part off if it's thin wall on the lathe.

Being that you'll need to face and chamfer both ends I'd recommend threading the part on your second operation after parting to length so your tap is only cutting or forming a 20mm depth.

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Being that you'll need to face and chamfer both ends I'd recommend threading the part on your second operation after parting to length so your tap is only cutting or forming a 20mm depth.
    I would imagine single point thread cutting. 60mm is a very deep hole and tapping would prob crush the pipe with the jaw pressure needed to hold it. And you would need a bottoming pipe tap?
    But yeah, easy enough to make the part the size needed. At least super easy for us with CNC lathes.

I'm with forhire...

Cut the pieces to length first. Then thread.

Much more time spent on the threading operation, but you'll have much better threads when you are finished!
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A