horseshoe art project
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

horseshoe art project

Hello all, just got some horseshoes that I'm planning on using for arts and crafts. they've got quite a bit of rust on them. do I just take the wire brush to them, or is there a better way to clean them up. any other prep that I need to do before welding? Thanks

Re: horseshoe art project

everyone has a favorite for cleaning horseshoes. I use white vinegar and it works pretty good. Get a container just large enough for the amount you want to clean . Set the shoes inside and fill with vinegar and let soak . Depending on the condition of shoes one or two days usually works. Wire wheel on a bench grinder does a nice job but hang on to the shoe. A dremel tool is handy and a straight die grinder. The Dremel works great for cleaning the grooves .
    Are you gonna mig weld these ? Stick ?
    Here's a POST ON HORSESHOE ART , check it out I think it will really help. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...hoe-art-Sticky
    You can goggle horseshoe cleaning too for additional info.

Depending on what you will be making, sometimes new shoes are easier to work with. With many projects having the same brand , shape, and size make for a nicer finished project.
    Posting your location may help you find a local supplier near you. Tractor supply sells the DIAMOND brand.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cat...FY17fgodcSwCcg

Here is my local supplier, http://www.centaurforge.com/Steel-Ho...departments/1/

X2 on BD1's comments.

San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of California

I make gun racks with them all the time. I use a knotted cup wheel on a 4" grinder and buff them up. After you get all the nails out it only take a few minutes to have them ready to TIG.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's another idea for cleaning using pure citric acid and water. I have not tried this yet since I have vinegar in stock.

This is what is in the post, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...wkhill-20&th=1

http://www.hawk-hill.com/2013/04/rem...out-scrubbing/

I just wire brush and them paint with a brown rustolium hammered paint.

Quote Originally Posted by sw99 View Post
    I just wire brush and them paint with a brown rustolium hammered paint.
    I paint some pieces too. I have sold more unpainted in the same piece than painted. I found many like the natural look. Some prefer NEW shoes over recycled ones. The tough part with recycled ones is getting the shape you prefer and the quantity of matching pieces. I have found that using new shoes in the desired shape and size make life easier. Four or five shoe projects aren't bad using recycled ones but for uniformity , new is my choice. Some recycled ones are almost impossible to clean . If it's outside art stuff it may not matter.
    Another reason for using new is if you build in quantity. I have jigs made to save time so the consistency of the same exact shoe makes it really nice.

thanks for the responses. will try the vinegar and see how it works. I purchased these shoes off of ebay and the seller did disclose that the shoes were a bunch of mismatch stuff. right now I'm just trying this stuff out because I saw some interesting projects on pinterest that I might try to replicate. I did notice that some of the shoes had a couple of nails flush in the groves. trying to punch them out. will be using stick, since that is what I have.

As for the nails, sometimes a center punch works good on the backside punching the head out. There have been shoes where the nailhead stay forever and ever.

well the vinegar worked great! if this stuff is so great at removing rust, why is there all this other stuff that's being sold as rust remover? I'm going to see if this works on my truck! after you're done with the horse shoes what do you do with the vinegar? thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I paint some pieces too. I have sold more unpainted in the same piece than painted. I found many like the natural look. Some prefer NEW shoes over recycled ones. The tough part with recycled ones is getting the shape you prefer and the quantity of matching pieces. I have found that using new shoes in the desired shape and size make life easier. Four or five shoe projects aren't bad using recycled ones but for uniformity , new is my choice. Some recycled ones are almost impossible to clean . If it's outside art stuff it may not matter.
    Another reason for using new is if you build in quantity. I have jigs made to save time so the consistency of the same exact shoe makes it really nice.
    I really should clean mine better... Nothing like the smell of hoof rot smoking like crack when I'm welding. I get mine from our fairer when he comes to do our horses. Give me a big bucket every time. I like the jig idea, I have made a few things where that would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by hothead2016 View Post
    well the vinegar worked great! if this stuff is so great at removing rust, why is there all this other stuff that's being sold as rust remover? I'm going to see if this works on my truck! after you're done with the horse shoes what do you do with the vinegar? thanks for the tips.
    I don't know how much vinegar you used or container size, but I reuse mine. I get a funnel and dump it back in the 1 gallon or 1 1/2 gallon jug it came in. My container will hold 1 1/2 gallons. If the shoes have some heavy caked on stuff I'll use a screen over the funnel to catch the crude.
    Vinegar can eat away the CHROME on a chrome plated wrench. I bought a chrome adjustable wrench that was rusted pretty bad. Decided to use the vinegar and must have left it soak too long . The chrome was gone , but the wrench worked fine.
    I dump mine on weeds in my field

I dont clean them. No one has ever complained.

Wow did not think about if vinegar would remove chrome plating. Makes sense though. It takes a few days for it to work on the galvenized plating on the washers I purchased for the snowmen hats. After working with new shoes I don't think I could bring myself to work with stinky old shoes.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Wow did not think about if vinegar would remove chrome plating. Makes sense though. It takes a few days for it to work on the galvenized plating on the washers I purchased for the snowmen hats. After working with new shoes I don't think I could bring myself to work with stinky old shoes.
    You are right Tony on using new shoes. When I did the horse show I made a variety of projects, new shoes were the best bet since they were more appealing and ready to weld up NOW. I would have been cleaning shoes for a month ! As for the snowmen, I sold 50 / 50 of new and recycled for the same price. The used shoes I had were a pain to get super clean . I wanted then shiny clean because these were gonna be inside and maybe setting on a table .
    Outside yard artwood like the plant holder or birdfeeder are different, I remove the biggest part and leave the rest. A farrier said to toss the old ones in a forge and that helps.
    That will be another toy to the collection.
    I got some recycled shoes so I think I'll make a couple of the chickens or birds like '' THATS HOT '' posted here. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...t-Sticky/page3 #72 . I'm gonna have a single rod for the legs and use for driveway markers. I have two boulders on either side of my driveway , I'll drill a couple of holes in and use the chickens to identify for snowplowing. Oh yea, you may need a explanation for that. That white stuff we get up north in the winter.

Ha ha ha. Yeah I have to drive abot 1.5 - 2 hour to play in that white stuff. Best part is when we've had enough warmer ground is only a quick drive home :P...

I have to admit. I have wanted to use my old John Deere garden tractors to clear snow. There can be some money in that like mowing lawns. But I am sure that would turn into a chore and get old fast lol.

I liked the chickens and also the Eagle posted by EQ. As was said there is a lot of shoes in that so even if the shoes were free there is still a lot of cleaning prep fit up bending and welding involved so for $125.00 it would make me tap out unless making for close friends & family.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-10-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

going to try it on the galvanized stuff. that's a good idea to dump it on the weeds. I definitely have a lot of that stuff in my yard. does the vinegar lose strength after so much usage? thanks again
    Last edited by hothead2016; 01-11-2017 at 03:09 PM. Reason: thanking responders

After I get the shoes all clean and welded up I use this. So far it has worked great. It gives a nice look to your work. And some horses don't clean there feet...... it's there up bringing.. I think.Name:  011.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  44.9 KBName:  006.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  88.9 KBName:  009.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  56.5 KB