Milwaukee portable band saw question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Milwaukee portable band saw question

I've been looking at a stand to mount mine in since I don't have a vertical band saw seems like a nice accessory. But, I can't figure out how to lock the power switch in the on position so not sure how it would work? Heck; I just found out today after two years there is a little wheel next to power button that changes the max speed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Milwaukee portable band saw question

You can use several different options. Zip tie around the trigger. Hose clamp, rope or cable holder, you could even tape it in the on position.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Yeah that's true, just would be nice if it could be locked on. Maybe that's why they sell the foot switch it's the stand, tape or zip tie the trigger then just use the foot petal to turn on or off. Guess that will work. Thanks for helping me with the obvious lol I was thinking too hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use mine with and without my homebuilt stand. I put together an electrical box with a short cord to the wall. The box contains a switch controlled outlet. Plug in there and have switch in handle taped "on". Use switch in box to shutoff instead of unplugging.

A Velcro strap would be better than zip tie or tape, as you it is reusable and quick to remove when you need the saw by itself.

Depending on your needs, consider getting a second one and make your own stand and table . There are many posts on this.
    On mine I zip tie and as mention have a '' double switched '' outlet . With the double switch I use one for the portaband and one for a belt sander . My first one is over 10 years old and the blue one I did this past summer. I bought both of them cheap cheap because of busted castings. That's why they are in the stands permanently.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by hog guts View Post
    Heck; I just found out today after two years there is a little wheel next to power button that changes the max speed lol
    Be glad you got the variable speed; even if you didn't know it had it. They're also made in 2-speed versions. I don't care for the two fixed speed ones. Maybe if it was always going to be in a stand it would be better.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

I use a plastic spring clamp.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

I use a velcro tie wrap. If l want to use the saw off the stand l don't have to cut a zip tie and then find a new one.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Teggy1 View Post
    I use a plastic spring clamp.
    That's what I do too. Thought that was what Swag recommended when I bought their stand...

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Depending on your needs, consider getting a second one and make your own stand and table . There are many posts on this.
    On mine I zip tie and as mention have a '' double switched '' outlet . With the double switch I use one for the portaband and one for a belt sander . My first one is over 10 years old and the blue one I did this past summer. I bought both of them cheap cheap because of busted castings. That's why they are in the stands permanently.
    That's also what I did with the portaband I got off craigslist. Made a stand, zip tied the trigger on, then make a switched plug as a control. I only have 1 switch to control the outlet because I plan to have a shopvac come on the same time as the saw. I don't want filings to build up on the bottom roller.

Last edited by PDXsparky; 01-08-2017 at 07:04 PM.

[QUOTE=PDXsparky;8051941]That's also what I did with the portaband I got off craigslist. Made a stand, zip tied the trigger on, then make a switched plug as a control. I only have 1 switch to control the outlet because I plan to have a shopvac come on the same time as the saw. I don't want filings to build up on the bottom roller.

That turned out nice. You could easily adapt that to a floor stand if needed. Sometimes having it mobile helps.

I use mine every time I'm in the shop for something. Being able to hold the smaller material for cutting is great. It saves so much time from clamping and unclamping in a vise.
    Even if you use a post vise that opens and closes quickly it still saves time.

I just picked up a new saw on an ebay auction. What blades do you guys recommend for the portable band saws?

Quote Originally Posted by isuhunter View Post
    I just picked up a new saw on an ebay auction. What blades do you guys recommend for the portable band saws?
    10/14 tooth Morse saw bimetallic blades have done good for me.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

The Morse 8-11 blades are great on heavier stock, otherwise the 10-14 is also a good choice

Here's how I did mine. I cut the wire tie off the switch when I close the shop down for the winter. I've seen small spring clamps used to hold the switch down, I just never remember to buy them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Here's how I built mine. I wish I had made the table bigger.
    Name:  20160117_181921.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  51.5 KB
    Name:  20160117_181936.jpg
Size:  54.8 KB
    Name:  20170108_140913.jpg
Size:  44.4 KB
    Name:  20170108_140757.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  45.3 KB