Weldanpower 250 D10 troubles
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Weldanpower 250 D10 troubles

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and would like some assistance with my Weldanpower 250 D10. The machine was given to me, has 1600 hrs on working meter, starts and runs good, smokes a little and welds at high amp settings. Seems like the more I use it the better it works but I am unable to get lower amp settings (60 - 160) to start and hold a good arc. Any idea on what might be the problem and how to fix it. Also any info on 3.09 Perkins would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Rob
    Last edited by Starter; 01-07-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Re: Weldanpower 250 D10 troubles

Rob, welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

Thanks, been watching this forum for a while and I am impressed. I look forward to hearing from the smart folk.

I would start by cleaning the rotor slip rings (where the brushes ride) with some 220-320grit sand paper or medium/fiine commutator stone and clean all the coarse range selector contacts.

Member HughF in the UK has a W&P 250 D10 and has a couple threads going on it.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ard&highlight=

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ild&highlight=
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

4 out of the 5 voices in my head say "Go for it".

Thanks Duane, I will take the sheet metal off this weekend and start with the slip rings.

A few questions though, is there any stored energy in capacitors etc that I need to be aware of when working on the gen side? Second, is there a recommended procedure for using the sandpaper or stone? And lastly what is the best source of parts for this unit. I know it is out of production but thought there might be some support for it, though I can't find any.

Again thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Thanks Duane, I will take the sheet metal off this weekend and start with the slip rings.

A few questions though, is there any stored energy in capacitors etc that I need to be aware of when working on the gen side? Second, is there a recommended procedure for using the sandpaper or stone? And lastly what is the best source of parts for this unit. I know it is out of production but thought there might be some support for it, though I can't find any.

Again thanks for the input.
    I don't know your machine at all, but you are right to be wary of capacitors, isolate your machine by
    disconnecting the battery too for safety, in case someone spins her over when you are stuck in at slip rings.
    Be careful of your brushes and check their condition too, and ensure they are not stuck to their holders
    as sometimes happens.
    Also check your engine speed, if there is a socket producing 110 or 220 or what ever voltage, you could
    use a volt meter with a HZ function to measure the frequency produced, it should be 60 Hz for the US,
    and 50Hz in Europe, a little more Hz is ok when off load as it will drop back down little when the load comes on.

Regards, john

Thanks John for the info, the machine does have an aux power output and I will check frequency (60 hz) this next weekend. The machine needs overall cleaning also, can anyone recommend the best approach for cleaning the generator side? Like engine degreaser, detergent, high press water etc. Will water sprayed onto gen side during cleaning cause damage?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Thanks John for the info, the machine does have an aux power output and I will check frequency (60 hz) this next weekend. The machine needs overall cleaning also, can anyone recommend the best approach for cleaning the generator side? Like engine degreaser, detergent, high press water etc. Will water sprayed onto gen side during cleaning cause damage?

Thanks
    I would use / spray on some engine cleaner / detergent from a hand held sprayer.
    BUT ensure you cover up the openings you do not want water to get into,
    be more than careful to not get circuit boards wet,
    I wrap such in carrier bags or and bin bags and tape closed,
    a paint brush is also an idea for painting on engine cleaner, and a stiffer
    one and a plastic type scraper should help loosen up the dirt and grease
    when it sits a while, I find its easier to paint or spray on detergent two
    or three times and let it do the work, then scrape with plastic and a stiff
    small brush.
    Small power washer with good skill will certainly move what does not
    shift easily, but you really got to ensure no water gets where it should not.

Regards, john

Okay I opened the machine up and got access to the slip rings and brushes. Brushes are free moving in holders but the outer slip ring has a rough spot on it as shown in the picture. I worked on both with fine grit sand paper and was able to remove the spot visually but can still feel a slight depression where it was. The range selector and polarity switch both show that some arcing has occurred. I suppose someone has changed positions under power.

thoughts on what next with slip rings? Also how do I inspect the brushes? They seem smooth etc.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  91.9 KB