Another which welder should I buy...
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another which welder should I buy...

With my current set up, I only have the Lincoln 225 ac stick unit. I would really like get a multi process unit because I like to be able to weld most stuff. I don't foresee me welding much thicker .25"

Been trying to do a lot of research and have a budget of $1000. I like the specs of the everlast 211i. High duty cycle and all the stuff comes with it. Foot pedal and flow meter, gas solenoids and so on. My question is, should I be looking at other units in the multiprocess 200 amp range or am I good on choosing the everlast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Another which welder should I buy...

I have a 210MP and have been very pleased with it. It's a little outside of the budget you've listed, but I feel it's worth a look.

I have a Tweco® Fabricator® 211i and like it very much. They can be had in your budget and offer great versatility.

"USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by ljmelius View Post
    With my current set up, I only have the Lincoln 225 ac stick unit. I would really like get a multi process unit because I like to be able to weld most stuff. I don't foresee me welding much thicker .25"

Been trying to do a lot of research and have a budget of $1000. I like the specs of the everlast 211i. High duty cycle and all the stuff comes with it. Foot pedal and flow meter, gas solenoids and so on. My question is, should I be looking at other units in the multiprocess 200 amp range or am I good on choosing the everlast?

multi process usually means mig welding too. if just TIG welding and you want foot pedal then next question is do you want to weld aluminum too. that normally means you want a AC and DC machine
    personally i do not like everything in one machine. i prefer separate machines for Mig, Tig, Stick. for stick welding i have little $200 inverter DC welder than i can easily pickup and carry one handed to outside, use 50ft 10ga extension cord and when done bring back in all taking only a few minutes. very easy to put on a car seat one handed and take to other house. no unhooking stuff Tig or Mig stuff. as 99% of what i weld is stick welded i wanted a better and easier to use stick welder. at 145 amps max it has plenty for 1/8 rod welding and some 5/32 rods
    Last edited by WNY_TomB; 01-08-2017 at 10:09 AM.

The everlast comes with the tig torch and foot pedal.
    To buy torch and pedal for the fabricator will put me over 1000. The torch was 150 plus another 180 for the pedal.

And the duty cycle. I don't foresee me doing much welding at the max capacity but I take it into account for a gauge on the overall quality of the machine. At max output the tweco is at 20% on mig where the everlast is at 35%. Granted this is at the 230volt hook up.

211i !!
    Last edited by sw99; 01-08-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Fabricator 211i hands down. You can always buy used or open box torch and pedal. I purchased a new open box 26 CK torch on eBay for less than $50 Shipped. Then I also purchased a used SSC pedal on eBay for less than $50 shipped "thanks Scott ". Not sure what kind of pedal or torch comes with the everlast unit.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350
    L-tec PCM-DVi plasma

I'd be in the used market if I were you.
    Here's where I picked up a nice multipurpose miller cheap. Works like a dream when I use it....which isn't very often
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...chase-question

Fabricator. Trust me.

I know that the 252i, which is now under the ESAB label is a bit out of your price range, but the ability to adjust run-in speed on the mig side for alum welding is priceless.

Just the fact that they are now an ESAB product means that you have support nationwide. Most LWS carry ESAB products. https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...FUuRfgodrZ0JNg
    Last edited by shovelon; 01-08-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Fabricator. Trust me.

I know that the 252i, which is now under the ESAB label is a bit out of your price range, but the ability to adjust run-in speed on the mig side for alum welding is priceless.

Just the fact that they are now an ESAB product means that you have support nationwide. Most LWS carry ESAB products. https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...FUuRfgodrZ0JNg
    It still will never be the best aluminum mig unit.. It's a bit finicky on aluminum arc starts without having a hot start feature.. I have to run more of it to really get feel for what it does, but it's no Powermave 300 or MM-350p for that matter.. All the other processes work excellent. The people that say the multi-process machine are mig only, really don't have a clue how nice they can weld in other processes..

Run-in adjustment does add the the advantage of the 252i over the 211i..but I did had less issues running aluminum with the 211i overall. The 211i is much more generator friendly too.. The 252i can run the 10 pin Miller 30A Spoolgun with a resistor added or the factory adapter.. That is a huge advantage for the 252i in quality of options..
    Esab 252i
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Klutch 220i hybrid..
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Victor 82 (A-60)
    Mystery Hobart..

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I've owned a PowerMTS 211Si for a year and a half. I love that it has solenoids for both mig and tig. $1k is a good price.

I also looked very hard at the TA 211i. Good luck.
    Last edited by KMA; 01-08-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    Everlast PowerMTS 211Si

The TIG torch that comes with the Everlast 211 is going to be bulky. The fixed neck makes it a less then ideal torch too. A smaller, more compact series 9 torch with a flex neck is a significantly better torch to go with for a high percentage of steel and stainless steel applications a hobbyist will take on.

The only MIG performance I've seen from the Everlast 211 are in Chucke 2009 You Tube videos. The kid doesn't have the skill level yet to dial an arc in properly, so he isn't helping give a good example of the machines real potential.

I can tell you from experience that, if you get it dialed in correctly, the Fabricator 211i has a very good short circuit transfer MIG arc.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

The pedal for the Fabricator line can be had for under $120- look for part #1442-0025. SSC pedal with 15ft cord under the Firepower name. The WP17 torch with 12.5ft super flex cable can be had for under $100 from USAWeld.

The everlast comes with the tig torch and foot pedal.
    To buy torch and pedal for the fabricator will put me over 1000. The torch was 150 plus another 180 for the pedal.

And the duty cycle. I don't foresee me doing much welding at the max capacity but I take it into account for a gauge on the overall quality of the machine. At max output the tweco is at 20% on mig where the everlast is at 35%. Granted this is at the 230volt hook up.

I would not worry that much about duty cycle in this instance, between the two brands I would never use it for a guage in quality. I would look more at the warranty and who is backing it up.
    Now it seems all I own are ESAB products, a lonely Hypertherm 85 and couple of Miller XMT's.

[QUOTE=Dan;8053431]The TIG torch that comes with the Everlast 211 is going to be bulky. The fixed neck makes it a less then ideal torch too.
    The only MIG performance I've seen from the Everlast 211 are in Chucke 2009 You Tube videos. The kid doesn't have the skill level yet to dial an arc in properly, so he isn't helping give a good example of the machines real potential.

lol,lol. i don't know what all these new machines are. so you may discount me, if that what you really want to do. but almost anything can be made to work w/ a old dc arc welder, a used weldcraft tig torch and bottle. this is how you learn, forget all the bells and whistles for learning/now. this can be done easily for slightly over a third of your budg
    Last edited by 123weld; 01-09-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Jody Collier did a multipart comparison between the TA 252I and MTS 250 (older version of Everlast 252Si). The PowerMTS's HF start is a nice feature on tig, but if local service is important to you, the ESAB might be a better choice.

Good luck!
    Everlast PowerMTS 211Si

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The TIG torch that comes with the Everlast 211 is going to be bulky. The fixed neck makes it a less then ideal torch too. A smaller, more compact series 9 torch with a flex neck is a significantly better torch to go with for a high percentage of steel and stainless steel applications a hobbyist will take on.
    You can upgrade the torches pretty inexpensively. When I bought my PowerTig 210EXT I opted to upgrade to their 25' long deluxe flex head torches. They will also let you switch sizes, so you can pick what you want. I think I paid $100 more to upgrade both torches to the longer/flex version.
    Check out my website dedicated to restoring U.S. made vises: http://mivise.com

Hobart Champion Elite
    Miller Thunberbolt AC/DC
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

211i Name:  IMG_0890.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  24.2 KB They are really stout
    TA210, 180C, IDEALARC AC/DC, N.T. PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Fabricator. Trust me.

That's a nice looking little welder. Do you own that exact welder or a larger version? It even has a copper/brass ground clamp. I feel the urge to own one. Damn! It only weighs 65 lbs and it has that much power. It's a good thing I hate yellow or this would be my next impulse purchase. LOL

I would go for the Tweco 211i because it's below your price range $870 with shipping. You can buy a TIG torch and foot control and still be under $1000. The Esab is twice the price. That's a budget buster for most people.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...r-pkg-w1004201
    Last edited by 69sa200; 01-11-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Fabricator 211i definitely, if you come up with the extra cash then the Fabricator 252i.
    Now it seems all I own are ESAB products, a lonely Hypertherm 85 and couple of Miller XMT's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    Fabricator 211i definitely, if you come up with the extra cash then the Fabricator 252i.
    You are getting a known quality, and a real support system behind you. I happen to like the 211i very well, and still think it's one of the best mid size mig machines ever built..It's 120 volt performance is excellent too..
    Esab 252i
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Klutch 220i hybrid..
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Victor 82 (A-60)
    Mystery Hobart..

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

What if you bought something like a Hobart handler 190, which is a really nice MIG unit made in USA, and then bought an inexpensive stick machine like the Hobart stickmate ($500), the Miller thunderbolt ($750), or the AHP 160st ($250). And when you really wanted TIG, you could get a TIG torch, a flowmeter, a cylinder, and some other little pieces, and put it together. It would be more expensive than a multiprocess, and you may not have a foot pedal, but that's what I would do. You could also sell your AC 225 tombstone for some $$ on Craigslist. Just my 2 cents.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Welder12 on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMd...BGgVPbze3Kic3w

Quote Originally Posted by mxpapa View Post
    211i Name:  IMG_0890.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  24.2 KB They are really stout
    Was that output with C25? I've only tried topping the unit out with C10, in spray arc mode, so the voltage was in the upper 27's (saw some lower 28's) with the amperage topping out a little over 200.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

This is with 75/25, that's all I have. It spray arcs pretty good with the 75/25.
    TA210, 180C, IDEALARC AC/DC, N.T. PLASMA