AWS Publicications
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

AWS Publicications

I got my 2017 Publications catalog yesterday. I haven't purchased any in the past, but this time I'm thinking about it. They would be nice if I still decide to get CWI in couple years.

But for a general, average, run of the mill welder, are they worth having? Do they include certified welding procedures? So if I was interested in a certain field, I get the "D1.whatever", and know what to practice for certification testing?

If not, how does one know what to practice for specialized certifications?

I'm thinking the same would apply to ASME etc.
    RGL Motorsports #129
    RL Ironworks - Random side stuff....

Re: AWS Publicications

i considered the same for a long time. I never pulled the trigger on it until i started studying for the CWI exam last January.

It would have come in handy a few times in the past ... but only on a few occasions.

On the other hand, time spent on educating yourself in your field is always time well spent.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!

The codebooks like D1.1 do not contain any prequalified SWPS, which are in the middle of your publications catalog.

You may be able to find recently obsolete used codebooks for cheap online like Amazon or Ebay. AWS D1.1 comes up pretty often. They don't change them that much over the years and the intent is very constant. When you become a CWI you would want to cart around the most current revision with you though.

Personally I hate it when they come out with a revision every 6 or 7 years as I have to pony up the cash to do so. As far as SWPS, the company should be purchasing or developing those.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Good information. Thanks guys.

As for SWPS, I am more curious to how to access them before going into an AWS test center to get certified. An example, a buddy of mine told me about the company he works for does welding in a field that I would love to be in, but no experience. He told me that I should apply. That would require me to move back to the PNW, which is really not that big of a deal for me.
    RGL Motorsports #129
    RL Ironworks - Random side stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post
    Good information. Thanks guys.

As for SWPS, I am more curious to how to access them before going into an AWS test center to get certified. An example, a buddy of mine told me about the company he works for does welding in a field that I would love to be in, but no experience. He told me that I should apply. That would require me to move back to the PNW, which is really not that big of a deal for me.
    You could call the test center. Tell them what you want to test for, and perhaps you will be given the details. I am sure the test is not random.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250