Where can I find aluminum tube like this and what's it called?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Where can I find aluminum tube like this and what's it called?

I've searched the web looking at lots of aluminum tube profiles and I just can't find this.... I want square tube with extra center wall like red below. The photo is same thing just rectangular. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Where can I find aluminum tube like this and what's it called?

Looks like a custom extrusion. Maybe it is more of a stock profile and you might be able to find it from an extrusion shop, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

i'm sure its out there but probably going to be hard to find. lots of companies out there have extrusion dies made for their application so you best bet would be to find what industry would use a product like that. local to me i i buy a funky triangle shape with ribs on the inside to use as a keel cooler on aluminum boats. the boat mfg owns the die so they are the only place it can be purchased. hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Looks like a custom extrusion. Maybe it is more of a stock profile and you might be able to find it from an extrusion shop, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
    certainly could be. i worked for a small co that had a custom c channel made for roll gates to ride on when in open postion out of aluminum, that was better than that. but it looks like non structural , poor design by the sharp inner hardly non radi corners. but my guess itts some weird factory 6063 architecutural like thing.
    Last edited by 123weld; 01-09-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Try the people who make aluminium planks for painters etc, that sort of centre web is common on those, they might be able to steer you to a supplier.

How large is this? Custom dies for extrusions are very expensive so youll have to hope somebody else already made it
    -Everlast PowerArc 280 STH
    -Hypertherm Powermax 30 XP

Somebody has it I just need to get with the folks I obtained a piece from they had some drops I purchased I figured it was standard stock guess it's not. The piece I got was 3x3x1/4 pretty beefy made this out of it....

i got some yelow aluminum straight edges exactly like those in the pics. the 36" is narrow like that, and i got a 48 and 72" in that same width.
    Last edited by 123weld; 01-10-2017 at 03:25 AM.

The straightedges look quite useful and hard to misplace lol.

Dunno anything about the extrusion other than IIRC, sharp corner stuff was Aluminum Association spec, different from structural. What the book from the steel supplier said anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    The straightedges look quite useful and hard to misplace lol.

Dunno anything about the extrusion other than IIRC, sharp corner stuff was Aluminum Association spec, different from structural. What the book from the steel supplier said anyways.
    Yep I saw the same thing when I was hunting this down and reading about the different profiles. Learn new stuff every day . And yeah, I never have enough sharpies or rulers seems like I measure and mark more than i weld.

[QUOTE=7A749;8056901]The straightedges look quite useful and hard to misplace lol.

yep, black on yellow is easy to see, and they don't catch any glare to speak of. it's probabaly one of the best things lowes selll. there only like 10 or 12 bucks for the 6 footers. i've clamped them on a framing square to make a extended square a couple times for stuff

I'll have to see what they have.

I'm real good at misplacing things lol

Cheap ole Lowes or Home Depot aluminum rulers. I drill larger hole where the existing hole is and hang them up on a peg near where used

Try eastern metal supply

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You don't say why you want an extra piece in the middle, but it won't add a lot of strength there. I would just go with straight rectangular or square tubing, maybe go to a thicker wall instead. It is hard to beat tubing for strength to weight, and weight costs money. Extra material in the middle just adds complexity and weight, without adding value.

The guy who build that custom extrusion was probably using it for a scaffold plank, as someone else was suggesting, just did not want it to cave in. If your tubing is closer to square caving in will not be an issue.

My 2 cents, putting on my engineering hat.
    Sculptures in copper and other metals
    http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 211
    Readywelder spoolgun
    Hypertherm 600 plasma cutter
    Thermal Arc GMS300
    Victor OA torch
    Homemade Blacksmith propane forge

just for kicks i googled it and alibabba has it via china aluminum. if that helps?
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

It was square tube 3x3 I just liked it because having another vertical wall in the middle of a longer horizontal surface would make it stiffer by a fair amount, it would have to. I need to make a fence gate 50ft long 8 foot tall and it needs to be stiff as possible. I've never built one before just looking at options in going to start a new thread asking some questions about the gate project.