Power i-mig 275P - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Power i-mig 275P

Here are a few more pics, they aren't the greatest. She makes pur-tee welds, though I admit that a chimp could make this kind of weld look good. A fillet along the cabin base to the sheer flat, 1/8" to 3/16":

Name:  IMG_0706 (Small).JPG
Views: 283
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0709.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0712 (Small).JPG
Views: 285
Size:  31.6 KB

Ooops! This is a better pic:

Name:  IMG_0716 (Small).JPG
Views: 289
Size:  31.4 KB

Wow!

Like butter!

What about diamond plate for decking in those kind of boats?
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

Here's a couple more pics. The more I get into the features of this machine, the more I like it! This is a 42 gal. fuel tank done corner-to-corner out of 3/16" material. It's done with a no weave single pass at 23V. The IPM I can't give as that would be just a guess though the pot at the gun is a little over 5. Other settings I'd only add if anyone was interested. Excellent root penetration. Looks low in hydrogen bubbles, the bane of 5000 series welding. With my old machine I would do this weld with a weave.

Other notes as I get more time in: way less boogers in the nozzle than before! No more having to snap off the wire at the end of hot welds. 1/10V increment adjustment is wonderful. IMO, this really a winning machine for The Green Team. Can't speak to the new gun, but if it comes close to the Miller this thing will be popular. I have many, many friends that have paid a lot more for a machine to weld AL that is not nearly as capable.

Name:  IMG_0726 (Small).JPG
Views: 276
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0718 (Small).JPG
Views: 278
Size:  28.5 KB

Yofish,

Thanks for the great pix and the continuing review. The welds look very nice. It is obvious that you know what you are doing, and talking about, by your work. Coming along quickly as well. Those outside corner welds, even in 3/16" are a real test. I challenged a Fronius weldor rep demoing their pulse welder at FabTech this year on how it welds outside corners because all he was showing in his demo was inside fillets. Took him about 10 minutes or so to get an acceptable weld but he got some reasonable results. Nothing as nice as what you have on the tank though. Easy to burn through and make them a mess but a good consistent machine makes it easier. I can do them ok mostly but not nearly so nice an uniform, born without rhythm, better with TIG than MIG on those. Nice to hear the reviews on the welder. Like I said earlier, I have a couple friends in the market so good to get and experienced review. Keep the pix and good words coming as you get the chance and don't forget to post a finished boat photo or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipj0 View Post
    Yofish,

Thanks for the great pix and the continuing review. The welds look very nice. It is obvious that you know what you are doing, and talking about, by your work. Coming along quickly as well. Those outside corner welds, even in 3/16" are a real test. I challenged a Fronius weldor rep demoing their pulse welder at FabTech this year on how it welds outside corners because all he was showing in his demo was inside fillets. Took him about 10 minutes or so to get an acceptable weld but he got some reasonable results. Nothing as nice as what you have on the tank though. Easy to burn through and make them a mess but a good consistent machine makes it easier. I can do them ok mostly but not nearly so nice an uniform, born without rhythm, better with TIG than MIG on those. Nice to hear the reviews on the welder. Like I said earlier, I have a couple friends in the market so good to get and experienced review. Keep the pix and good words coming as you get the chance and don't forget to post a finished boat photo or two.
    Thanks for the kind comments, after 40 years or so I guess one should be OK at a craft. I swear, I feel like I'm just starting to get the hang of it.

The thing about an outside corner is that the fit up is critical; it is a near must to have no gaps as that's what causes blowouts. 23V is pretty high for that weld on 3/16' so one must be on their game and enough tacks to keep it from going oingo-boingo. Honesty, I could not make that weld without help, at least as to make it look good, have decent penetration and not sag on the downside. I made a tool I call a 'Hog Trough' that the gun slides along and does about 22" from start to stop. Here's a link to an old thread about building a skiff on WW that shows the device:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...um-skiff/page8

BUT! The high volts and the right wire speed makes for a fast weld and as long as there is root penetration, it's very satisfactory for a one-side weld. I've never had one puke, but I'm only talking about 100 gals. or so, with no interior welding. Takes a little practice but it's the only way I do it anymore. The only difference is with this machine, I feel very confidant in the no-weave whereas I didn't before. As a matter of fact, it looks so good that I'm rather surprised. Call it 'semi-automatic' welding! Us geezer's need all the crutches we can lean on, believe me. As a side note, I don't buy as many gloves as I used to by a long shot. Doing a weld like that back in the day, I was only good for maybe 10" before I would be out of position. Stop, cut out stop and restart. I do NOT backstep a tank because of the quality of the frozen pool at the stop. I'm guessing that that 22" weld takes about 30 seconds the way I'm set up. I remove ALL of the stop with a die grinder and single cut oval carbide bur, then start over the stop again. I've never had a leak in a run; only starts and stops which I tig over for security. This tank had no leaks and was done much faster than had it been all tigged, much faster.

Here is a pic of my absolute unfavorite weld to do on a skiff, an angled (10 degrees) downhill. I cringed, when after saving it for the very last, was faced with it and my old setup. It's probably the most visible weld from outside the skiff and thus should look tight. I don't have the hand I once did but with pulse it made it rather easy and bright. Before it was short arc (lumpy) or hot and you'd have to go like a striped-assed ape and hope not to drop it. Being on a 8' ladder doesn't make it any easier. I/8" lap, 21.7V:

I plan on having it out of the shop tomorrow if it's not snowing sideways and will have some final pics. My happy day!

Name:  IMG_0732 (Small).JPG
Views: 249
Size:  28.1 KB
    Last edited by Yofish; 02-14-2017 at 11:35 PM.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

What kind of pulse settings are you running? Wire size? I know wire speed is a little different for you but since it is a volt pulse, would you care to describe how it is helping or what you are seeing that is different? I know our customers would like a little personal experience info, from someone who might be taking a second look.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Well, just before the start of a snow storm I was able to deliver it to the victims. My most favorite part is being DONE along with a fresh supply of money in the bank. If it wasn't for the need of it life would be pleasant most all of the time.

All is well in my Everlast world too, I'm very happy to say. I'll have more about the machine as well; I'm going to do some dedicated futzing with it on my time off.

Name:  IMG_0749 (Small).JPG
Views: 236
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0735 (Small).JPG
Views: 236
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0748 (Small).JPG
Views: 235
Size:  68.3 KB

Thanks for sharing Yofish, very interesting.

Putzing around today, cleaning the shop and enjoying a sunny day, at the end I did a little test using 4043 .035" wire. I'm interested in trying to use it on cabins and such, nothing below the water line, because it behaves nicely and makes, like, no smoke. So I took a couple pieces of scrap from the pile and did a 40" outside corner on 1/8" 5052, which, my research sez is an acceptable combination. I have never used the alloy ever, for anything, but my lungs are interested; when I'm incinerated at the end, the kids will will wonder what to do with this puddle of aluminum is at the bottom of the ash box.

Anyway, here we have the setup of the Miller box and the Green Machine set @ 21V with said weldment:

For some reason WW keeps inserting every pic downloaded multiple times so this will be multiple posts because after three times, I'm OVER!

Name:  IMG_0762 (Small).JPG
Views: 195
Size:  61.9 KB

Now we see the root penetration which is a little more than I'd like to see but can be tuned, this was a few mins of tuneup only. BTW, this is a straight pass, no weave, 21V:

Name:  IMG_0765 (Small).JPG
Views: 192
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0769 (Small).JPG
Views: 195
Size:  34.2 KB

So now a little testing. We see that folded on itself that it maintains structure, nothing bad there, but folded flat it exhibits weakness in that it rather 'snaps' along the weld. This is not too surprising considering the filler alloy.

Interestingly, notice how it vectors off to the opposite side when, in this section, the stress encounters a backside tack! That surprised me and will make me think. Had this weld been done with 5356 (I've tested many times) the result, assuming good welding practice, would be that the folding in would be the same but the folding out would have, at best, shown surface tearing at the toes along the HAZ:

Name:  IMG_0773 (Small).JPG
Views: 194
Size:  49.1 KB

For grins, the next thing I'm gonna do is load a spool of 1/16" 5356 into the Green box and see how it pushes through the supplied mig gun. I have no expectations but could be fun/interesting. I do know that the wheel builders do that - short whip - and push only. There is so much I don't know about all of this welding thing.

Yeah,

I've been wondering if that would work well enough on your unit too.

I mean, if I do get a pulse MIG unit at some point, it might be the slightly less robust 251Si unit. And I'd definately try running some aluminum wire in it without a spoolgun.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

I just got a 10lb roll of 5556, .045", that I'm going to try on my MTS251Si. I've got a teflon liner on the way, too. The 5556 is very strong and I think it should work fine on the stock 10 foot whip. Worst case, I'll have to get a spool gun and transfer it to little spools!

As an aside, I've had this welder for less than 2 months, and it is great. My son in law is a professional welder, and it impressed him. He's used to huge Millers, so that's saying something.
    Last edited by Timbob; 02-22-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: I'm an idjut.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbob View Post
    I just got a 10lb roll of 5556, .045", that I'm going to try on my MTS251Si. I've got a teflon liner on the way, too. The 5556 is very strong and I think it should work fine on the stock 10 foot whip. Worst case, I'll have to get a spool gun and transfer it to little spools!

As an aside, I've had this welder for less than 2 months, and it is great. My son in law is a professional welder, and it impressed him. He's used to huge Millers, so that's saying something.
    Tim, good luck with the try. I can't find a liner in town so I'm going to try and make my own after first trying it with the supplied liner. I went through this process of making my own conduits for my XR guns caused by the ridiculous price Miller wants for them. I made my own using UHMW tubing very successfully. The problem is the heat at the gun and a material (UHMW) that ain't so good with heat and that's one of the reasons teflon is used but I think I have a backyard work around.

So I made a liner for the supplied mig gun. This pic shows the components. At the bottom one sees the liner that came with the gun, wire wound steel sheathed in plastic. the black tube at the top is 3/16" OD, 1/8" ID HDPE. I took a 3/16" compression ring and used the shown fittings to crush it onto the tube to duplicate the nut on the end of the stock liner. Now, HPPE is not very heat tolerant so I added the center dark grey section which is a PTFE liner for a Miller extended barrel after carefully measuring the overall length of the stock unit and cutting the HDPE minus the length of the PTFE section:

Name:  IMG_0774 (Small).JPG
Views: 170
Size:  51.7 KB

Here are two pics of the liner inserted into the gun, one showing how nicely it fits and the other showing it captured by the nut on the Euro connector. Make sure there is a little stickout!

Name:  IMG_0779 (Small).JPG
Views: 172
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0778 (Small).JPG
Views: 171
Size:  35.9 KB

I started with the machine set in mig mode with no syn or pulse and after destroying lots of 4" tee fillets finally got close to being dialed in. After about 30 samples I arrived at the setting shown on the foremost piece: 21.8V, 228 IPM and arc force 50 burnback was .2. I had to ream one of the supplied tips out in order to use 1/16" wire. A painfully slow job and the only chucking reamer I had that was close was .092". which is a little too large, I think. I've snapped too many small drills on copper and didn't want to take the chance. Besides, my experience says the tips don't last long if one just drills them; too many hickies in the hole.

Name:  IMG_0782 (Small).JPG
Views: 168
Size:  48.1 KB

Anyway, in the end I was rather pleased with the results. Not perfect but with a little more tuning maybe so. I can easily see this being a good setup for heavy production work. Everything you see is 3/16" 5052 material. If the machine was elevated it would help some. I didn't have any problems with feeding other than what was caused by the wire spool. This spool, 5356 1/16", was given to me in sad shape. Every once and awhile the wire would catch on the chowdered cheeks and give a hiccup but she just kept truckin':

Name:  IMG_0783 (Small).JPG
Views: 169
Size:  46.0 KB

I only looked inside this machine when I first got it and didn't really pay attention to details but after confronting what I was about I'm REALLY impressed with the quality of the drive mechanism. The drive rolls are beautifully machined and everything looks/feels solid. Easy to load. I'd recommend that they add a 'fast' mode for loading wire. It would take a looong time to run wire into push-pull stretch. I also discovered that drive tension is BIG! Everlast has provided a sort of vernier for the amount of tension and, as I found out, it is not something to ignore. Everyday I'm more impressed with this machine!

Yofish,

Thanks for the notes and pix. The boat looks great, I am sure your customers were very happy. It looks like your getting it dialed in nice, like the experiment with welding through the standard whip. I think you could do that with 3/64" 5356 wire as well. Instead of 4043 wire, you may take a look at 4943, it has a higher strength with the same welding properties as 4043. As always, appreciate your reviews and pics. Hope you will keep more coming on the new machine as you continue to weld. Cheers.

Here are some pics of the latest out of the shop. An ancient Almar 19 that I added a 30"X40" transom extension. The more I use the 275P, the more I like it. The original transom was all 1/8" and scummy all to hell. It also had some very thin spots where the client too aggressively removed a kicker mount. 21.6V with 3/64" wire was a breeze, even overhead with pulse. It just keeps getting better and better for me and this machine as we figure each other out.

Name:  IMG_0792 (Small).JPG
Views: 143
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0793 (Small).JPG
Views: 145
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0791 (Small).JPG
Views: 145
Size:  49.6 KB

Nice work. That should open up some room and give new life to the ole' girl. Good to hear more reports on the 275p as well. Sounds like it is a nice machine. Hopefully Everlast will get the push-pull gun up and running soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipj0 View Post
    Nice work. That should open up some room and give new life to the ole' girl. Good to hear more reports on the 275p as well. Sounds like it is a nice machine. Hopefully Everlast will get the push-pull gun up and running soon.
    Is there an ETA on that or can you get one from another vendor that will work?

Quote Originally Posted by XMilitary View Post
    Is there an ETA on that or can you get one from another vendor that will work?
    Mark keeps saying "soon", but that soon has been months now. As far as I know, no other gun will work with the package as there needs to be communication between the pull and the push that's why I bypassed all of that. If the gun NEVER materializes I'd still be happy.