Advice
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Advice

Advice

What would be a good setting for Miller 200 old MIG machine 1/4 plate 0.35 wire had to take a weld test and it looked like crap it was vert up everything else was good flat,horizontal where good vert was tough

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Re: Advice

Look under the hood and follow the setup chart. It will give you choices of gas as well.

Is it a MillerMatic200 or 35?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Look under the hood and follow the setup chart. It will give you choices of gas as well.

Is it a MillerMatic200 or 35?
    It did have one I tried that that was the first place I looked

Are you using solid wire? I kinda-sorta recall using something in the 18.0V / 175 ipm range with 75/25 years ago for vertical up with solid wire. But I've never owned your particular machine and my memory of the settings with my XMT 304 and Suitcase feeder may be a little hazy. I haven't run solid wire for years now.

Are you familiar with running vertical up with any other processes? With solid wire I used to manipulate with an inverted "V", nozzle pointed at a moderate angle up. Once you built the shelf, you went from one side to a position slightly above and center, then back down to the other side. Cored wires are run differently to keep from burying slag.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

Quote Originally Posted by smc1118 View Post
    What would be a good setting for Miller 200 old MIG machine 1/4 plate 0.35 wire had to take a weld test and it looked like crap it was vert up everything else was good flat,horizontal where good vert was tough

maybe thats cause with solid wire you mig vertical down NOT vertical up. that usually works better. make sure you stay ahead of the puddle
    if plate really really thick maybe you can mig vertical up but in my experience 1/4" is no where near thick enough for vertical up
    my guess that was the test did you know to mig vertical down with solid wire ?? that and does welder turn the shielding gas on
    Last edited by WNY_TomB; 01-10-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    maybe thats cause with solid wire you mig vertical down NOT vertical up. that usually works better. make sure you stay ahead of the puddle
    if plate really really thick maybe you can mig vertical up but in my experience 1/4" is no where near thick enough for vertical up
    my guess that was the test did you know to mig vertical down with solid wire ?? that and does welder turn the shielding gas on
    That's what they wanted me to do was uphill

The reason the same setting does not work for vertical up is it is generally too hot for that position and travel direction.

Use the setting for 1 or 2 thicknesses thinner from the door chart, and then run vertical up.

It is a little slower and easier to control too.

If I were to guess without being there, the arc was likely digging in too far and filling it back in was very difficult before it drooped out and made a mess.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    The reason the same setting does not work for vertical up is it is generally too hot for that position and travel direction.

Use the setting for 1 or 2 thicknesses thinner from the door chart, and then run vertical up.

It is a little slower and easier to control too.

If I were to guess without being there, the arc was likely digging in too far and filling it back in was very difficult before it drooped out and made a mess.
    by the time you turn it down enough to not drip vertical up mig welding i would be concerned there was enough heat to get a good weld. i was always taught vertical down mig weld with solid wire
    critical structural welds i was required to stick weld usually with 7018. i only used mig solid wire on non critical welds. even a non critical mig welding test i was given i was required to weld vertical down for the test

Here is some vertical up hill welding with Lincoln’s L-56 .030” wire on 10-GA.
    My setting were 21.6-volts, 78-AMPS, 200-wire speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Here is some vertical up hill welding with Lincoln’s L-56 .030” wire on 10-GA.
    My setting were 21.6-volts, 78-AMPS, 200-wire speed.
    my experience it is easier to mig weld vertical down on 1/4" or less and the volt and wire speed needs less change if any at all if switching to flat or horizontal welding
    usually can weld for hours and not have to adjust anything unless coming to a big gap in a poorly fitted joint (even then i usually just pulse weld or weld a short bit and let cool, repeat as needed). when hand rail welding 1-1/4 pipe basically doing all position welding going around the joint. not likely going to rotate a piece 6 to 20 foot long by 42" high
    usually got no interest playing with the settings all day unless they are way off

my experience it is easier to mig weld vertical down on 1/4" or less
    In the structural welding world, you weld anything downhill, beside sheet metal. They will fire you on the spot!
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    In the structural welding world, you weld anything downhill, beside sheet metal. They will fire you on the spot!
    Yes. That's why I've only seen fluxcor wire and stick in the structural world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

by the time you turn it down enough to not drip vertical up mig welding i would be concerned there was enough heat to get a good weld. i was always taught vertical down mig weld with solid wire
    critical structural welds i was required to stick weld usually with 7018. i only used mig solid wire on non critical welds. even a non critical mig welding test i was given i was required to weld vertical down for the test
    I would have to respectfully disagree, I teach it that way to the high school kids and it works really well on 1/4" material.

1/8" I prefer vertical down for sure.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.