Forklift work platform
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forklift work platform

Easy build for a forklift work platform. I've been using a pallet for a work platform but this looks like an easy build. I would change the railings to a tube in tube to hold the side rails. It looks like they put a hinge on the bottom to fold down the sides for easy storage. I'd also use a channel iron on the bottom for the forks.

Has anyone built one of these?

Name:  Man basket.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  42.5 KB

Re: Forklift work platform

A place I worked for had one till the new Safety guy said OSHA wouldn't let us use it as the guy in the cage has no control of his destiny (ie: lift driver has a heart attack or passes out).

I don't like to be in that situation either, but you have to trust the driver with your life either way. It is safer than standing on a pallet to change light bulbs 20 feet in the air.

OSHA will frown mightly on your plan. Better to rent a scissors or bucket lift for a day to do the job. OSHA will have at least 10 reasons why you shouldn't do what you're contemplating. 2 or 3 of them are likely good reasons because someone else has been killing in a home-made manbasket on a fork lift.

If OSHA isn't a factor in your situation, I'd make the rails at least 42" tall, add a toeboard to keep the tools in the basket, add a way to chain the basket to the forklift mast, an anchor point for a fall harness, and a coil of rope to use if you need to escape from the basket when it's 20' in the air. I'd also get the hydraulics checked on the forklift because if the mast or forks drop with you in the basket you're going to be very unhappy.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

OSHA has published specifications on what then need to be to comply

We have a couple by Vestal mfg. and they work well. The mast is guarded and there is a toeboard around the perimeter. Also a latching swing gate on one side. It does chain to the mast also.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Built one this Fall, and it's worked out very well so far. We've saved thousands on tree trimming bills.

I built to OSHA specs, and built quite a bit heavier structurally.

42" rail, inward opening door, 6" toe boards all sides. Robust safety restraint to hold the doggone thing on the loader.

I trust my loader operator. She tells me she loves me

I do NOT really fully trust the hydraulics, and have looked into putting hyd. fuses on the lift cylinders. Problem is.......all the folks I've contacted need to set the things at the factory, and can't guarantee that they won't make the loader functionally inoperative due to restricted flow rates under normal operations. It would be a trial by error thing, which could get very expensive.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

This is one I built couple years ago that works well for me. I know it needs a toe kick.

Name:  IMG_1526.JPG
Views: 831
Size:  18.1 KBName:  IMG_1527.JPG
Views: 838
Size:  20.1 KB

Here's one I built a few months back. OSHA isn't an issue for us but I followed OSHA guidelines and it is definitely better than standing on a pallet which is what we where doing. Over built it a little but that's because I used materials I had laying around.

Name:  IMG_4821.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  82.8 KBName:  IMG_4825.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  99.6 KBName:  IMG_4826.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  101.0 KBName:  IMG_4827.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  79.2 KB
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200

Should chain it to the mast. I'm not really up on osha regs pertaining to this but last summer while taking osha10/30 I found out that since my millwright days osha has for the most part outlawed man baskets that hang from a crane. The Big Blue accident in 1999 at the Milwaukee Brewers stadium had a lot to do with this. Although basically outlawed there is provisions that in the event there isn't any safer way to perform the necessary work in a life or death situation a basket could be used. Wish I had a dollar for everytime I worked out of a hook suspended basket or one on a forklift.

Yes mine has chains also those pics where just taken before they where put on.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by 69sa200 View Post
    I don't like to be in that situation either, but you have to trust the driver with your life either way.
    What’s fun is to be in one of these, when the crane operator free falls you 50 to 75-feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

CEP those are basically illegal now days.

Never hung from a crane in one of those but I've hung from the top of a rocking sail boat mast in one a few times. Crew on the deck controlling the windlass to raise and lower me.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    Yeah, I’m very old. But they were fun to work in! Same with these spider staging.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

We use one all the time but if there are no controls on the basket the operator has to stay in the operators seat osha said it had to be pinned not chained has to have a capacity painted on it and you have to have it pre engineered not a copy of some one else's basket . Also you have to have attachment points for a harness .

Where did OSHA require the pins to be? Mine has pins that go through holes in the forks that we also use for trailer balls. I added chain because I read somewhere that they shouldn't be attached to forks only.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    What’s fun is to be in one of these, when the crane operator free falls you 50 to 75-feet.
    I think I still have a Bosun's Chair around here somewhere, possibly a Klein? I looked at it earlier this winter with an eye towards tossing it, but not sure whether I did or not. Anyway. A crane-suspended manbasket is something I've spent a great deal of time in, sometimes in confined-space entry jobs. Now that I'm a one-man show all of that silliness is hopefully behind me.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post

Nope. You can see them all day long during summertime in downtown chitcago. Guys swinging around in those Bosun chairs, cleaning the windows on the sky scrapers. I figured they must make great money............nope. I think around $16-$20/hr. They're nuts!
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

You say that, but being Sticky Bond 008, I'll bet you've used them to check out my stuff....
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

AH! You ain't seen nothing until You are working on a small Independent Family owned Oil Lease in Pennsylvania. The crown pulley on the service rig needed greasing, they bring the hook down, knock the head off from a Pick(Mattok) to stick through the hook which you straddle while riding the cable back up to the crown! Been there, Done that!

drujinin something like this?
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Capt B. They told us it needed to be pinned to the mast we made clamps with some ears on it that clamped to the 4 inch square tubing put ears on basket that slides in lines up. We are using it on a Pettibone super 20 with 6 foot forks

Leogl thanks that makes sense. I'll look into that.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200

CEP, Similar feeling! HAHA!