Burned up sleeves
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Burned up sleeves

I was welding some door hinges with my cousins Bobcat welder and I burnt the hell out of my shirts. I usually don't get a lot of spatter when I stick weld and I didn't have a welding jacket or sleeve protectors. I was using 3/32" 6011 and 5/32" 6010. The 5/32" didn't trow as much spatter but I had to use the 3/32" first to avoid burn trough. The Bobcat wouldn't adjust for crap. It would either stick the rod or spit sparks with one small adjustment to the fine adjustment. I was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and long sleeve thermal and it burned trough both. I only had to burn about 15 rods. The arc was even harsh with a 6013 in the flat position.

Any suggestions as to why it was so harsh of an arc or is this normal?

I used my friends older Bobcat with the 4000 watt ac generator and the arc was good.

Name:  burnt white sleeve 2.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  39.9 KB
    Name:  burnt white sleeve.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  42.8 KB
    Name:  burnt black sleeve 2.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  69.0 KB
    Name:  burnt black sleeve.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  64.4 KB

Re: Burned up sleeves

Rod wasn't dry. Too much moisture can cause problems like you describe.

Welding makes sparks. Sweat shirts and long johns burn up easy.

I know some of the bobcat welders have a different arc. Then your typical machine

I know all MIG and stick welders trow a lot of sparks. But most of the sparks are small and don't shoot further than the cuff on my welding gloves. This welder was trowing blobs of molten metal beyond arms length even at 90 amps. My inverter welders and Multiquip welder keep 99% of the sparks within the length of my gloves cuff. I usually wear a jacket or sleeves anyway. This was a small project I usually wouldn't have a problem. It was a very harsh arc.

That's part of being a welder ,your cloths get burned even when you don't catch fire

After getting a few burns from just wearing sweat shirt or long sleeves, I invested a few bucks in a light weight fireproof welding jacket..worth every penny and no more jumping around like a frog on fire when those blobs of molten metal always seem to find that spot to burn through normal clothes..the scars remind me to put on the jacket each time..

sparks,burns and ruined clothing come with the territory. the fix? attempt to position yourself with falling molten metal in mind. a fan blowing the smaller lighter chunks away may help. a set of leathers will help.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Suck it up Buttercup, lol.... just giving you some tough love

All of my work clothes have hole burned in them. I accept that welding runes clothing, but this was a insane ammount of spatter. I was above the weld on a ladder. The electrode was held horizontal welding vertical up. I've done this hundreds of times and never been blasted this much. This was all from about 15 rods worth of welding. It shouldn't spark that much at the low amperage settings.

How are we supposed to diagnose this over the internet without pics of the machine settings? Sounds like maybe the machine is a piece of junk.

I'll get the settings the next time I go there. It may be normal for Bobcat welders from around 2005. I'll have my cousin text me some pictures of the settings on the welder.

He used it yesterday for lights the engine was running rough and the lights were dim to bright to dim. He adjusted the choke and the engine ran steady and the lights stayed bright.

Could this be a bad choke?
    Last edited by 69sa200; 01-10-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Most likely a plugged jet or passage in the carburetor. The reason why you had to run it with the choke on is that using the choke will add enough fuel to allow it to run.

Might be the position you were welding in, May have had your arm catching catching sparks? Did you adjust amperage for different diameter rods? Do you normally use 6010 and 6011? They alway produce sparks for me. I usually wear appropriate welding gear when I weld with stick or out of position.

It's all part of the experience .

Imo bobcats and some other comparable machines actually make better generators than welders. Where's that 69 sa200? Now that is the opposite, much better welder than genny.

A... this is why we are blessed with cows, leather protects our clothing.
    B... did you just turn the fine current (voltage) control down to run the smaller rods? My experience with Bobcats is keep the coarse control low and the fine current control high. Much smoother arc.

Yes. I ran it on the lowest range and used the fine control to slowly bring it up until it wouldn't stick. I ran just enough amps to keep it lit and it still spit a lot of spatter. Ill make a video if I use it again.

not familiar with that welder. ....polarity??

You probably forgot to turn the spatter all the way down, happens to me all the time.

I found that Tig welding spatter doesn't burn my sleeves so I try to stick to that.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    You probably forgot to turn the spatter all the way down, happens to me all the time.
    You need a little spatter to keep from going out of baykeonic thermonescence. When you lose that possible transition into spraykelit proliferation can occur.

Last edited by shovelon; 01-16-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Looks like someone forgot to turn on the shielding gas with that weld.

In the warmer months of the year I only wear a short sleeve shirt. MIG spatter doesn't bother me at all it's the blobs that suck. I rarely get hit above the cuff on my welding gloves. I turn the spatter down to zero with my Invertec welders. I can use these with no gloves but I don't. Sometimes I just wear regular work gloves with no problems from spatter.

Name:  Lincoln 275.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  31.2 KB
    Name:  Lincoln v 250 s.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  36.9 KB
    Last edited by 69sa200; 01-16-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Does the Bobcat have arc force?

No. I wish it did. It's a cheaper version Bobcat 225 about 15 years old air cooled.
    Last edited by 69sa200; 01-16-2017 at 08:09 PM.