First Paid Welding Gig
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Paid Welding Gig

So a guy called me, and asked if I could build him some h-brace for vines to grow on. I said yes, and he gave me a deposit for the metal. I'm building 9 h braces at the moment, and if he like them he might need over 300 of them!!! Name:  IMG_0727.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  103.2 KB So me and my dad went and got the metal last weekend. Name:  IMG_0729.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  69.7 KB Then I took my time, to get the first one perfect so I had a plan. Name:  IMG_2916.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  66.0 KB Yesterday and today I got all the verticals cut to 10' when I got home from school . My goal is to get the horizontals cut down to 5' tomorrow and Thursday after school. Then torch cut all the saddles by Saturday morning. After that I will just fit them and weld them all weekend. I will keep posting pictures along the way.
    Forney C5 Arc Welder
    Lincoln Idealarc 250-250 Ac/Dc Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

Dewalt D28715 14" Chop Saw

Re: First Paid Welding Gig

Sorry for the phone tilt here it is tilted. Name:  IMG_0731.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  64.2 KBName:  IMG_0731.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  64.2 KB
    Forney C5 Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

What are you using to set these up on ??? Something like this could be productive if you set up a jig to set them up in. you could even make a couple of wood saw horses . Anything to make them the same without doing any additional measuring.
    What size is the pipe or tube ???

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    What are you using to set these up on ??? Something like this could be productive if you set up a jig to set them up in. you could even make a couple of wood saw horses . Anything to make them the same without doing any additional measuring.
    What size is the pipe or tube ???
    I'm setting them up on the garage floor with corner clamps to get some tacks on them,I also put a saddled 5' piece at the end to keep it from sucking in. I keep the smoke out of the garage with a big TSC fan, sucking the smoke out (works really good). I'm planing on cutting some 2x4's up so I can space the cross members with out additional measuring. I am using 2 3/8 drill stem pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Forney C5 Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

What kind of vines is he growing in East Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    What kind of vines is he growing in East Texas?
    I'm not sure. He said he was getting some developed at a college in California. I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

Forney C5 Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

Corner clamps make it really nice. I did a job and the BESSEY WELDERS clamps paid for themselves.
    Make up some saw horse or get some old tables to set up on, it will be easier on your body. That's perfect for making a jig to make life easier , quicker, and safer. Hope it all works out.
    As for the saddles , you can make a template for marking. That would help too if you haven't done that already.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Corner clamps make it really nice. I did a job and the BESSEY WELDERS clamps paid for themselves.
    Make up some saw horse or get some old tables to set up on, it will be easier on your body. That's perfect for making a jig to make life easier , quicker, and safer. Hope it all works out.
    As for the saddles , you can make a template for marking. That would help too if you haven't done that already.
    The corner clamps come in handy, and I have one of those red coping templates that open up. I have done coping from building fire wood racks and a drag harrow out of this pipe . (I'll post the firewood racks don't know why I haven't though.)

Forney C5 Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

If you have a drill press, I would use a hole saw to saddle the pipe. Less clean up.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

maybe forget the saddle all together?

depending on wall thickness it may be effective to just flatten the ends with a couple hits with a sledge.

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    maybe forget the saddle all together?

depending on wall thickness it may be effective to just flatten the ends with a couple hits with a sledge.
    He's being paid to fab these. IMHO, the customer should expect (and get) professional results. Seems to me that sledge hammering the ends would lead to distorting, undesired bending, and inconsistent results.

I like the idea of the drill press, or he could fab a drill jig with some steel plate. Clamp the pipe, and drill thru the a guide hole, to saddle the end if the work piece.
    Millermatic 180
    T.D. Cutmaster 42
    Cut50 Plasma cutter
    Milwaukee dry cut saw
    Craftsman buzzbox (1980)

Quote Originally Posted by Will S. View Post
    He's being paid to fab these. IMHO, the customer should expect (and get) professional results. Seems to me that sledge hammering the ends would lead to distorting, undesired bending, and inconsistent results.

I like the idea of the drill press, or he could fab a drill jig with some steel plate. Clamp the pipe, and drill thru the a guide hole, to saddle the end if the work piece.
    being paid or not there's nothing un-professional about flattening the ends its commonly done in many applications. a hammer is just an example, and somthing that i have done professionally. could just as well put the end in a press.

coping the ends is a time consuming process, and often necessary but in this application and potential quantity the time savings may yield a better value for the farmer and more profit for the fabricator. which is why it may be worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Will S. View Post

tracymobilecnc
    tracymobilecnc is offline WeldingWeb Journeyman

being paid or not there's nothing un-professional about flattening the ends its commonly done in many applications. a hammer is just an example, and somthing that i have done professionally. could just as well put the end in a press.

coping the ends is a time consuming process, and often necessary but in this application and potential quantity the time savings may yield a better value for the farmer and more profit for the fabricator. which is why it may be worth considering.

OK, I understand your point, and agree, for the intended purpose, it wouldn't matter. I suppose it should be whatever the two agreed on, if it was even discussed.

Reminds me of the sign in a shop; Quick, Cheap, Good: pick any 2
    Last edited by Will S.; 01-11-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    Millermatic 180
    T.D. Cutmaster 42
    Cut50 Plasma cutter
    Milwaukee dry cut saw
    Craftsman buzzbox (1980)

IDK guys he's talking about using 2 3/8 drill stem. Hammering them flat or using a hole saw to cut a saddle sounds like a hard and inefficient way to go about it to me. I'd say he get one of those fancy metal hinged templates, mark'em out and go at it with a cutting torch. If this is a younger, less experienced hand it sounds like this job would be a good opportunity for him to practice and develope his manual torch cutting skills.

I'm going to torch cut the saddles, so I might be as good as some of you with a torch someday. I think hole saws would take forever on drill stem, because it's close to 1/4". Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Will get some more pictures soon.

Forney C5 Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

I’ve never tried saddling with a chop saw. Someone posted this. If I remember correctly he built a lot of pipe fences.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    I’ve never tried saddling with a chop saw. Someone posted this. If I remember correctly he built a lot of pipe fences.
    I might try that.

Forney C5 Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I might try that.

If you do, let us know how it works. Picture would be great.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    This is what I did before I bought a tubing notcher, works great, it's easy and fast.

Have u tried it on ur bandsaw CEP?

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Have u tried it on ur bandsaw CEP?
    No I haven’t. What little pipe I saddle, I use my mil with hole saws or annual cutters.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

There are some nice DIY hole saw jigs on this forum. Wroughtnharv had a technique where he cut 1/4" piece of tube. Hammered it onto the face of the vertical tube and ran the horizontal tube through the formed saddle that was formed. Slick

I would flatten, if I had a device to consistently and efficiently produce results. Coping with a saw would probably be the way I do it, since it is the way I currently do pipe. Cope would allow you to use corner jigs while flattening might make it difficult. Though- the first should be your jig for the rest.

Hole saw...I have had a jd2 coper 5 years, have never use on tubing. It adds another operation and slows me down.

If I'm making a couple joints that require coping, ill use my portable bandsaw and notch the pipe. If I'm making a bunch of gates or something, ill get the chop saw out and set it at about 30 degrees and use that. Just leave a little flat part (larger for bigger pipe) so the miters dont come to a point. It makes a damn close fitting that is easy to weld up. But, I understand OP wants to get better with a torch, so have at it!
    '82 SA 200
    Ranger 8
    HH 140EZ
    Ironman 230

I do those with a 4 inch grinder. Set your flat end up against where you want to saddle on, see how much gap there is, grind a straight notch that deep 180 degrees apart on your flat end. Wallow out what you need to make it fit with the grinder, round off the corners, done! Once you do a couple of them you'll get the hang of it.