First Paid Welding Gig - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: First Paid Welding Gig

nice work!

Looking good Bud, looking real good. That man is getting his monies worth. You're better now than before you took this job and that is what it's all about, making money and learning stuff to make more money.

looks great! i'd hire ya. i was just thinking back and i was 24 or 25 years old when i struck my first rod. now at 32 i'm into my second year of self-employment and couldn't be happier. you have a great start.

Get a piece of ply wood and lay one of your complete forms on it and nail 2 two by fours about 6 inches long near the ends of your cross pieces but leave room for tack welds. Put two on the outside and one at the top so you can just lay your pipes in your fixture and weld. That way they will all be the same and no measuring. Keep up the work and you will do real good in life.

Quote Originally Posted by bjonesfisherman View Post
    Get a piece of ply wood and lay one of your complete forms on it and nail 2 two by fours about 6 inches long near the ends of your cross pieces but leave room for tack welds. Put two on the outside and one at the top so you can just lay your pipes in your fixture and weld. That way they will all be the same and no measuring. Keep up the work and you will do real good in life.
    I actually thought about that. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Forney C5 Arc Welder
    Lincoln Idealarc 250-250 Ac/Dc Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

Dewalt D28715 14" Chop Saw

All finished! Name:  IMG_2930.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  50.8 KB Name:  IMG_2934.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  56.0 KB I will update if I get any more. Thanks for all the support guys! Wish me luck to find a ac/dc welder like a Miller dialarc or Lincoln idealarc for under 500!
    Forney C5 Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

It looks like you did a fine job on them. You planning on doing the welding thing for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    It looks like you did a fine job on them. You planning on doing the welding thing for a living?
    Yes I plan on welding for a living. It is just my favorite thing to do.
    Forney C5 Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig

Look under Austin craigslist search welder their is a Lincoln idealarc for $450.

You will really enjoy either one of the welders you are looking for. The Dialarc and Idealarc machines are both great bullet proof welders for projects like the one in this thread. Both run 5P+ (6010) beautifully. The price point you have in mind is very reasonable, just take your time and keep your eyes open, you will find a great machine at your price.

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Yes I plan on welding for a living. It is just my favorite thing to do.
    Jess,

Do yourself a big favor and don't overlook getting yourself some more education. Even if you've just got to chip a way at it by taking night courses at your local community college it'll benefit you in the long run.

Since you're in East Texas I'd recommend getting in touch with the folks at LaTourneau University, telling them you're interested in a career in Welding Engineering and would like to come for a tour of their welding and materials laboratory.

http://www.letu.edu/_Academics/Engin...entration.html

First Paid Welding Gig

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Jess,

Do yourself a big favor and don't overlook getting yourself some more education. Even if you've just got to chip a way at it by taking night courses at your local community college it'll benefit you in the long run.

Since you're in East Texas I'd recommend getting in touch with the folks at LaTourneau University, telling them you're interested in a career in Welding Engineering and would like to come for a tour of their welding and materials laboratory.

http://www.letu.edu/_Academics/Engin...entration.html
    I've been looking for night classes in my area, so I could get some instruction on stick welding while in High School. I am planning on going to a welding school after High School. I was thinking about going to Tulsa Welding School in Houston. I would like to do pipeline welding.

Forney C5 Arc Welder

Forney O/A Rig