Tweco 181i tig argon solenoid mod
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Tweco 181i tig argon solenoid mod

I have a 17 torch and pedal but i am blowing through gas like crazy. Has anyone does a mod for a separate valve somehow connected to the pedal? I would even be ok with a 4t style switch / relay set up so I can control the post flow. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Tweco 181i tig argon solenoid mod

Don't leave the gas on too long. My problem is I forget to turn the gas on and screw up the tungston along with the weld joint.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Your hand currently controls the post flow - are you forgetting to turn it off?

I saw a guy had made a little box that contained the valve, with a torch holder "fork" sticking out of it.
    The "fork" pivoted and opened the valve when he picked it up, shut off the valve when he hung it up.
    I think it was a YouTube video.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s and v300 Pro
    ESAB 161
    SA200
    MM210
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Well I forget to turn it on and off sometimes. When I go to reposition to another side I get in the zone and forget to turn it off sometimes. Just trying to save a little gas. I have used better tig welders in the past and that habit on turning on and off the gas is a learning curve.

I did a gas solenoid mod on my 181I.....i will try to see if i can find the thread.

Here is the thread. My mod is on the second page. It is real easy and relatively inexpensive. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...I+gas+solenoid

Thanks for the help rahtreelimbs. I am glad to have a free options with this. I am out of my warranty so I may just mod the pedal so I can have post flow and not have to use two pedals. I think that would mess me up even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny15t View Post
    Thanks for the help rahtreelimbs. I am glad to have a free options with this. I am out of my warranty so I may just mod the pedal so I can have post flow and not have to use two pedals. I think that would mess me up even more!

Using a separate pedal allows you to control the preflow and post flow to whatever you want. Hooking it into the tig pedal wouldn't.

No reason you couldn't run a small pendent switch on your tig torch to operate the gas valve.

Quote Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs View Post
    Using a separate pedal allows you to control the preflow and post flow to whatever you want. Hooking it into the tig pedal wouldn't.
    I found a solinoid on line that has a delay that may work it will be a few week until I order it I will let you know if it works out.