Hello, Newbie and wanting to learn as a hobbie
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hello, Newbie and wanting to learn as a hobbie

Hello all,

Newbie here and my name is Darrell

A little about myself and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm 52 y/o, a career fireman and pretty much do all my own work from home projects to cars. Another DYI'er I believe is the best description...lol with patients and the willingness to learn more.

I'm about to start a restoration project on a car and I'm looking for some direction on a welder. I'm wanting to learn to do my own metal work now. After you start to see some of the work out there you begin to think "I can screw that up as well and for free"...lol So with a little direction, some questions here and there, I believe I can teach myself.

I have access to plenty of steel as I'm near a Pull it auto yard (which is how I taught myself auto body) and near a place that sells all types of metals and aluminum. So no shoartage of learning material here.

From most I've read it seems TIG is the preferred way to go as it's softer for grinding and less heat. With that said I've been searching on CL and found a Miller Dial Arc 250 AC/DC welder for $700 obo. If all is as said about this welder, my question is... would this be a good price and a good start ?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Darrell
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by repsol17; 01-11-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Re: Hello, Newbie and wanting to learn as a hobbie

Quote Originally Posted by repsol17 View Post
    Hello all,

Newbie here and my name is Darrell

A little about myself and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm 52 y/o, a career fireman and pretty much do all my own work from home projects to cars. Another DYI'er I believe is the best description...lol with patients and the willingness to learn more.

I'm about to start a restoration project on a car and I'm looking for some direction on a welder. I'm wanting to learn to do my own metal work now. After you start to see some of the work out there you begin to think "I can screw that up as well and for free"...lol So with a little direction, some questions here and there, I believe I can teach myself.

I have access to plenty of steel as I'm near a Pull it auto yard (which is how I taught myself auto body) and near a place that sells all types of metals and aluminum. So no shoartage of learning material here.

From most I've read it seems TIG is the preferred way to go as it's softer for grinding and less heat. With that said I've been searching on CL and found a Miller Dial Arc 250 AC/DC welder for $700 obo. If all is as said about this welder, my question is... would this be a good price and a good start ?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Darrell
    check input required. if you got single phase AC at home you normally cannot use industrial 3 phase AC machines. a lot of used big heavy welding machines for sale cause shops buy newer smaller machines.
    big welding machines usually work good. just not easy to move machine around

Darrell, welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

Hi Darrell,
    I’m a hobbyist too. From what I’ve learned, I think you might get better use out a nice 110/220v mig welder and learn Mig “brazing”. Tig welding is very demanding for a hobbyist and everything always needs to be clean and then cleaned again.
    My newest mig welder has “spot” and “stitch” settings which really help with welding sheet metal, and I can only “guess”, makes brazing a piece of cake.
    Just my two cents.
    Everlast (Latest) i205 with 200a spool gun
    AHP 200x
    Two Everlast i140e
    Powermax 30 Plasma

"Things are never so bad that they can't get worse...."