Sheet metal shear station, any experts here?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Sheet metal shear, any experts here?

Hey folks,

We recently upgraded to an older 10' mechanical shear and I've got some questions:

1. In regards to blade rake, does it matter which side of the machine I mount the squaring arm?

2. It has a manually operated back gauge but I'd like to find more info on retrofitting a power front operated back gauge. Looks like I can hire companies but I suspect they'll charge more than I paid for the whole machine. Are there kits or advice on a diy job?

3. I'd like a new, longer squaring arm. Seems difficult to find just the arm for sale though. Thoughts on where to source this? I suppose I could fab one but would be nice to have a machined piece with the t-slot

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Wandering Welder; 01-12-2017 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Left out stuff
    Multimatic 215 w/ aluminum spool gun
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

Re: Sheet metal shear station, any experts here?

what brand shear is it and what gauge will it cut?

The squaring arm can go on either side.

I was quoted $40,000 to retrofit a 10'x1/4" Cincinnati mechanical shear with a factory back gauge so I stopped considering shears without a back gauge. There is quite a bit of equipment to the power back gauge assemblies. Not sure there is $40k worth but they are very heavy duty and dead nuts accurate. That said, most of my measuring is done on the front side of the shear with a tape measure and also the squaring arm. My squaring arm has a scale built in and it is dead nuts accurate too. For repeat work, I regularly use the material support arms with adjustable stops so I can "jig" repeat cuts and not use a tape measure each time.
    Syncrowave 200 Tig Runner • Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Hypertherm PM30 • Scotchman CPO 350LT Cold Saw
    Cincinnati 1810G shear • Bluco 5x10 Fixture Table
    5000# Toyota Pneumatic • Dodge 3500 DRW

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_pop View Post
    what brand shear is it and what gauge will it cut?

The squaring arm can go on either side.

I was quoted $40,000 to retrofit a 10'x1/4" Cincinnati mechanical shear with a factory back gauge so I stopped considering shears without a back gauge. There is quite a bit of equipment to the power back gauge assemblies. Not sure there is $40k worth but they are very heavy duty and dead nuts accurate. That said, most of my measuring is done on the front side of the shear with a tape measure and also the squaring arm. My squaring arm has a scale built in and it is dead nuts accurate too. For repeat work, I regularly use the material support arms with adjustable stops so I can "jig" repeat cuts and not use a tape measure each time.
    Thanks for the reply! It's a pexto 10' 14ga mechanical guillotine style.
    40k is insane. The next shear I get will definitely come equipped with cnc controls. The jump in price isn't that substantial for used shears from what I've seen. I wish I knew that before hand.
    I suspect I'll end up making my own squaring and support arms for the front.
    I'm going to dig into the rear back gauge and see if maybe there's a way I could add a motor to it. I find myself moving the gauge full travel frequently enough for it to be a nuisance.
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

does your shear have a T slot across the front face of the table? I could send you photos of my factory squaring arm. They are pretty simple materials but all the mating surfaces have been ground/machined square. There are lots of material support arms on ebay for cheap.

Yes, it has 4 T slots on the front. It did come with 2 front material supports from the factory bolted on but they're only 8" or so so not terribly useful.
    I checked eBay but wasn't finding much. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing?
    I was thinking just thick wall Sq tb for the supports and solid stock for the squaring arm
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

this is what I searched on ebay "pexto arms"

my squaring arm is a piece of 8" C channel that is 1/2 thick and machined to receive a T slot bar. The T slot bar, which is fully machined, doubles as the surface your material jogs against. click this thumb nail for a larger view.

https://goo.gl/photos/a5wjGaP1WhDzBvUn6

https://goo.gl/photos/bBbZEzpUbhazjvAF7
    Last edited by Jimmy_pop; 01-12-2017 at 08:00 PM.

diy power back gauge sounds like a fun challenge!

we have only two shears with power back gauges, the old one being run with a hydraulic motor, and the new one im not sure how the thing moves, its so quiet its hard to tell.

the old is a pretty simple design with the motor turning the thread that moves the gauge, and also the dial on the front of the machine that indicates length. nothing fancy, and it works.

the new is computer controlled, type in desired length and the dang thing goes right to it. i imagine you could recreate something like this with diy cutting table parts, which aren't all that costly from what i've seen. you would just need to adapt the drive system to the guage in a way that limits the force on the motor when slamming 14 ga x 10' across it.
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    maxstar 150
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Thanks for the pics. That's a clever design. Did Cincinnati make that squaring arm?
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

Man the digital controls sound like a dream. Not a bad idea utilising the cutting table controls if I could find em for cheap. I think some kind of locking drive gear that disengages when the motor is on. Definitely a lot of mechanics to get sorted.
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

go to your local sheetmetal shop and ask to see their power backgauge. Again, simple materials but hardly simple. There is alot to it. I would not call it over built considering what it is designed to handle. This machine is made to accurately blank 10' sections of .25" steel as fast as you can advance stock against the sensors in the backgauge.

You might be better off buying another shear at auction for 5K and removing the backgauge. Then selling the thing for what you paid for it. I cant imagine 14ga mechanical going for much money.
    Last edited by Jimmy_pop; 01-12-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Yeah a shop I used to go to before I got this shear would let look over their shear no problem.
    Man, if I could've got a shear at auction for 5k with a power back gauge I'd have some "new toys" money leftover. I shopped for a few months and got this shear and a 40 ton 10' press brake (with 30-35 dies) for $12.5k. I thought it was a smoking deal. I see shears in Detroit going for around that price but that's about it. Went to 2 auctions and the equipment sold for prices above what I see on craigslist. Maybe it's because I'm in Los Angeles and the demand is fairly high? Regardless I check obsessively for tools/machinery all over. If a deal like that pops up I'll be all over it.
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw

Are you on bidspotter.com ? You can register an account and add keywords to your profile. You'll get daily emails when an auction is listed that contains those keyword(s). It is awesome. A great way have a feel for what various things sell for. Shears without backgauges sell for roughly half of what those that do go for. That has been my observation thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_pop View Post
    Are you on bidspotter.com ? You can register an account and add keywords to your profile. You'll get daily emails when an auction is listed that contains those keyword(s). It is awesome. A great way have a feel for what various things sell for. Shears without backgauges sell for roughly half of what those that do go for. That has been my observation thus far.
    That's amazing! Can't believe I haven't heard of that. I'm definitely gonna use that
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Lincoln 140 Mig
    Millermatic 200
    Alpha 200dx
    O/A Rig
    Everett 22" abrasive saw