Pipe miter cut help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Pipe miter cut help

I need to cut 45* angles on a pipe that's 6 5/8" OD, 1/4" thick. My blue book shows 6" pipe, marked in eighths with 1 being 2 3/8" and 2 being 3 5/16".

Since it doesn't show my OD size will using the numbers for a 6" OD throw it way off? I had a hard time finding a free printable template that would accept the dimensions.

Would this get me close enough to doctor the rest with a grinder? I don't need to be spot on, it's just a smoke stack for a BBQ pit/smoker so I have some wiggle room.

If not can anybody tell me how to get the correct measurements?

Thank you.

Re: Pipe miter cut help

The measurements should be close enough. They call it 6 inch pipe, but they don't go by the OD, they go by the ID on pipe below 14 inch.

Awwwwww shoot, I knew that! That's what happens when you have to siphon bad gas out of your machine, you catch the stupids. Thanks for setting me straight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ad4eebc55f.jpg

These things are awesome if you ever run into more complex angles.

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

the easy way is by the book. the hard way is to. . . .

45s are easy. call the long side of your cut 0. since it is a 45 deg cut, (1:1) we know that the short side will be 6 5/8" shorter than zero. so if you punch-mark zero, and go 180 deg from that mark (1/2 the pipe circumference), and make a mark 6 5/8" shorter, you have a baseline. then you can go to marks half of half the circumference (1/4's), and make length marks half the difference between 0 and 6 5/8" (3 5/16").

follow that pattern until you are comfortable connecting the dots! on 6" pipe you may section the circumference into 16ths to get accurate marks. i find that a cuttoff wheel makes cutting easier, and the bigger, the better. you can easily see the "plane" that a 6" wheel will cut vs a skinny little porta-band blade which will do all sorts of weird stuff when trying to cut miters.
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Blocker, that looks pretty slick. I may have to look into one!

92dlxman, thanks I appreciate the idea. Once TimmyTig cured me of the stupids I was able to get it knocked out pretty easily with my torch. The cuts came out almost perfect, wish I could say the same for my welds though. Never have made a 5G cap that I was proud of, but I don't weld pipe often enough to get much practice.

I guess technically it was a 6G weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ad4eebc55f.jpg

These things are awesome if you ever run into more complex angles.

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    flange wizard makes those.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

If you ever want one of the tools in my picture, they are made by curv-o-mark.

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

I just found this pretty slick tool. Too bad they don't come in one tool fits multiple size pipes/tubes.

ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

@ SGTGunner - source layout tools from Flange Wizard. We use several of their products for flat/round work. Precise, high-quality. Made in USA.

"Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    The measurements should be close enough. They call it 6 inch pipe, but they don't go by the OD, they go by the ID on pipe below 14 inch.
    Well not really. The 6 inch is a nominal dimension. The od is constant and the id changes according to wall thickness. The heavy six inch can have an id of a little over 4 inches.
    piece of soapstone
    tape measure
    chipping hammer (wire handle type)

I have never welded pipe or tube so bare with me as I learn. I am under the impression that pipe is measured by the inside diameter while tube is measured by the outside diameter. What am I missing here. Do things change after a certain size of pipe?
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

^ compare NPS, OD, and ID columns for Seamless and Welded Carbon Steel Pipe. Key on the column for 'Schedule #'.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

see below

Quote Originally Posted by Blackslacks View Post
    Well not really. The 6 inch is a nominal dimension. The od is constant and the id changes according to wall thickness. The heavy six inch can have an id of a little over 4 inches.

OK. I worded that clumsily and you got me. But the OP understood what I was saying, and he got his smoke stack built to his satisfaction. My bad.

If you want to build your smoke stack with heavy wall pipe, YMMV.

Thank you ManoKai
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    OK. I worded that clumsily and you got me. But the OP understood what I was saying, and he got his smoke stack built to his satisfaction. My bad.

If you want to build your smoke stack with heavy wall pipe, YMMV.
    I wasn't trying to show you up, just wanted to make sure he understood.
    piece of soapstone
    tape measure
    chipping hammer (wire handle type)

just take a look at this video in the first post...the guy explains it great...and you will have to get your hands on the blue book to get the numbers but this is how its done.... you don't put 30 foot lenths of 6"pipe into a bandsaw unless you have one hell of an overhead in your shop!!

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ng-amp-Cutting
    7*12 metal cutting bandsaw
    miller thunderbolt ac/dc
    tig torch
    victor oxy/ace cutting rig]
    hougen 904s mag drill...
    and of course the
    BFH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SGTGunner View Post
    I need to cut 45* angles on a pipe that's 6 5/8" OD, 1/4" thick. My blue book shows 6" pipe, marked in eighths with 1 being 2 3/8" and 2 being 3 5/16".

Since it doesn't show my OD size will using the numbers for a 6" OD throw it way off? I had a hard time finding a free printable template that would accept the dimensions. ...

Thank you.
    Man, I'm hurt. This tubenotcher software will definitely handle 6" or larger pipe. You will print onto 8.5x11" paper, and have to use a little bit of scotch tape to make a large pattern out of small paper, but it works pretty well. You will be using Adobe Acrobat Reader with the Poster Option. I'm the author of that software, and I worked really hard to make that work on 6" pipe.

Its not clear on if you are cutting a 45 degree miter to another pipe, or cutting a 45 degree miter to mate to a flat plate (or another tube with the exact same cut...) . My software will do either. (Miter to other tube = Simple Tab, miter to 45 degree flat surface = Round to Flat Tab) .

Here is me doing an angled cut on a 3" tube on my Portaband saw. And the template for that cut is definitely more than three or four sheets of paper... I used a black felt tip pen to copy the cutting line to the steel tube. I needed to reuse the pattern on a whole bunch of cuts.

Name:  3inch tube on portaband.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  47.8 KB

You should learn how to mark out your own pattern, it's not difficult and you always have it with you if you are out in the field and don't have a printer or curve o mark with you.

That link was dead Zipzit. here's an alternate: http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

Quote Originally Posted by Brazin View Post
    That link was dead Zipzit. here's an alternate: http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi
    My hosting changed servers on me, and didn't tell me.. the entire site was down since 12 May. All fixed now.

TubeNotcher Link