RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Downdraft table - discuss

I'm considering this downdraft table
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/28-x...ce=grizzly.com

For a few different uses.
    1) contain spray paint fumes
    2) contain powder coating dust
    3) grinding dust

I know it's not rated for metal but something has to be better than nothing. Most of my grinding is just dross or surface finish light work just to clean up parts off the cnc table.

Hoping it will help keep paint and powder from going all over and help control the smell. Do you think it will help?

My one concern with the spray paint is that with the draft will it keep the area clear or pull all the crap in the air to the spray painted part and make it look like crap

Anyone here use one or your thoughts?
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas & MBC Dealer and more

Re: Downdraft table - discuss

It is just designed for light dust like wood sanding. It won't take out the solvent vapors in your spray paint. It may even not be sealed up all that well and could lead to a BOOM from solvent vapors, but that seems unlikely to me if you are just talking rattle cans (not enough concentration). But it still won't take those vapors out - just spread them around. And the key to a spray booth is filters on the incoming air so you don't just suck dust in from the airflow. So yes, you are correct that it will do just that since it is totally open to the shop.

don't think this the solution you are looking for, but i understand why you are hoping it would be.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder, HF251D Hi Freq box

Depending on the internal filters you could catch them on fire from grinding sparks. It is made for wood not grinding. Same for fumes if not a sealed motor.
    Welders: IdealArc AC/DC 250
    Lincoln AC 225 converted to AC/DC
    O/A torches
    Lots of Hammers Clamps and Grinders

Full disclosure, I am in the business of fume extraction. So take my reply with a grain of salt and understand I have a certain amount of self interest.

I would not recommend you use that Grizzly unit for any spray paint fumes, it will gunk up your filters pretty quick. If you are just using it for grinding dust, it is a good downdraft table (for how much it costs). At .5 HP you may be little disappointed in performance however.

Your best bet is to look for a DDT with kits that you can swap in and out depending on what you are doing. For spray painting, use the spray kit, for grinding use the grinding kit etc...

Below is a link to a table that we do. If you want to take a look at other options just google spray paint downdraft table.

Be aware that carbon filters can load quickly depending on how much you are doing. For example, if you are doing "production level" painting, it is not a good fit for you.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you.

http://www.diversitech.ca/en/product...owndraft-table
    Last edited by richardddt; 02-07-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling error

^Thanks.
    I've seen those before, what does a 2x4 sell for?
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    ^Thanks.
    I've seen those before, what does a 2x4 sell for?
    No problem, happy to help. The spray paint model is about 8k (list) and and the welding, grinding, deburring model is about 6.5k (list).

If you go through whoever you get your gases through, you are likely to get a pretty good discount.
    Last edited by richardddt; 02-07-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: grammar

So I got my table in after being on the fence. Overall pretty happy. Did some light grinding of steel & aluminum and some sanding of aluminum. Works pretty well considering the price.
    I did order 2 stainless steel filters for it that I think would be better suited for grinding sparks.
    still debating about welding in some tabs or something under the main grill for adding a paper filter there if i decide to do some powder coating or spray painting.
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180

Great news.

Just be careful with aluminum dust as it is explosive. It is prohibited by NFPA to use Aluminum dust with a dry type, self contained downdraft table.

My official advice is of course, not to use a dry table like NFPA suggests. However if one were to use the table regardless, I would say they should clean out any aluminum dust after every use.

I would look at getting a polyester spun bond filter and carbon after filter on the exhaust for painting. If you have a cellulose or nanofiber filter it will get gunked up pretty quick. Polyester filters are washable. Swap to polyester whenever you are painting.

Quote Originally Posted by richardddt View Post
    Great news.

Just be careful with aluminum dust as it is explosive. It is prohibited by NFPA to use Aluminum dust with a dry type, self contained downdraft table.

My official advice is of course, not to use a dry table like NFPA suggests. However if one were to use the table regardless, I would say they should clean out any aluminum dust after every use.

I would look at getting a polyester spun bond filter and carbon after filter on the exhaust for painting. If you have a cellulose or nanofiber filter it will get gunked up pretty quick. Polyester filters are washable. Swap to polyester whenever you are painting.
    Is it considered self contained when the air is blowing outside the bottom of the table?
    Dry vs??? Wet downdraft?
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180

Correct, basically if the filtration mechanism is part of the table, it is self contained.

Versus an "empty" DDT which is basically a box with legs and a duct outlet.

If a dry collection method is used the collector must ducted to a place outside with explosion vents, abort gates etc...

Wet downdraft tables are usually about two to three times more expensive than a dry table and come with their own maintenance needs as well. Disposal of sludge for example, is a concern.

NFPA Reference:

9.4.13.15 Indoor Dry-Type Dust Collectors of NFPA 484 -2015 version

''Self-contained, dry downdraft benches shall be prohibited.''

There used to be some wiggle room in interpretation pre-2015 but nowadays there isn't really ambiguity.

So aside from doing metal filters anything else you suggest be done to make it as safe as possible?
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180

I am going to be vague in my response, (sorry) because the danger of someone reading this and taking it as carte blanche to not follow NFPA guidelines.

It's is important to segregate steel dust and aluminum dust at all times. The fires that can result would be extremely difficult to put out and can result in a catastrophic incident (loss of life, dramatic property damage).

Here is a quick OSHA letter on the subject: https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...ONS&p_id=27413

And here is a article in Fabricator that is a bit more anecdotal and easy to read: http://www.thefabricator.com/article...tals-reactions

Be very careful, it is easy to become complacent with these types of issues until a disaster happens.

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    It is just designed for light dust like wood sanding. It won't take out the solvent vapors in your spray paint. It may even not be sealed up all that well and could lead to a BOOM from solvent vapors, but that seems unlikely to me if you are just talking rattle cans (not enough concentration). But it still won't take those vapors out - just spread them around. And the key to a spray booth is filters on the incoming air so you don't just suck dust in from the airflow. So yes, you are correct that it will do just that since it is totally open to the shop.

don't think this the solution you are looking for, but i understand why you are hoping it would be.
    This makes sense to me.