AHP 200X & Alphacut 60 or everlast powerpro 256si or ??
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

AHP 200X & Alphacut 60 or everlast powerpro 256si or ??

Looking to pickup a tig/stick welder ~200amps and a plasma cutter. I chose the everlast 256 over the 205 to match the ahp plasma amps and stick amps.

Any thoughts on what route to go? I've listed the highlights I can think of for the options below, anyone have any more to add? Or have any thoughts? This will be for hobby welding. I have a cheaper MIG and a buzzbox stick now, but want to get better at stick and learn to tig. I want to get a plasma torch too and already have a nice compressor. Also had a question on AHP vs Everlast support. Ive been reading mixed reviews about both companies warranties (though AHP seems to have better reviews overall on amazon, but also fewer units), but it does seem like both companies support have improved in the last few years. I have been reading with everlast they support you diagnosing your our system and replacing parts yourself (that may seem like a con to some people but this seems like a plus to me as I am an electrical engineer and would much rather do that than ship the whole unit back and wait forever), does AHP do anything like this? I also havent seen any comparisons between the AHP and everlast plasma cutters?

1) AHP route
    *two seperate units dont have to worry about breaking one and bringing down the whole unit like the everlast
    *dont have to swap the gas/air lines and tig/plasma torch like the everlast
    *save few hundred bucks

2) Everlast route
    *gain an extra 50A of tig welding could come in handy for thick aluminum
    *gain some more settings : stick arc force, gas pre flow, a little more pulse freq, (down/up slope time I think I will always be on the pedal so i'm not sure I will use these)
    *higher OCV 85v vs 75
    *save some space
    *2 year longer warranty

3) other routes?

All input is appreciated, Thanks!

Re: AHP 200X & Alphacut 60 or everlast powerpro 256si or ??

Everlast sells AHP

I would never buy any thing with a plasma cutter built into it.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Tec.Mo. Wholesale Distributor and Dealer
    Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's.

Scott, welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

I vote for AHP route as you stated. If one machine goes down, your whole operation is shut down until you buy/fix/rent a replacement. I've had great luck with my AHP Alphatig 200x

Personally, I'd be nervous buying a welder with plasma cutter built in...
    Everlast PowerMTS 211Si

The AHP for the tig, for the plasma you can't go wrong with the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52. Both of these are proven units, while I don't own the AHP a friend of mine does and have tried it out a couple times. He seems happy with it and had no problems. The Cutmaster 52 is a rock solid machine, not one time has it ever failed to do more than advertised.
    Now it seems all I own are ESAB products, a lonely Hypertherm 85 and couple of Miller XMT's.

Quote Originally Posted by KMA View Post
    Personally, I'd be nervous buying a welder with plasma cutter built in...
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Everlast sells AHP

I would never buy any thing with a plasma cutter built into it.
    So I will be buying the Everlast PowerPro 256Si shortly. I have done a lot of research and watched some real encouraging video reviews of similar/lesser Everlast units that have made my decision pretty easy. 'Welding Tips and Tricks' as well as 'Weld.com' have pretty much sold me. For hobby/artistic use this is perfect, I blacksmith and this will really help expand my capabilities.
    Please elaborate on what is so scary about a this kind of combo. The argument that if one function fails the whole thing is in the shop for a while is really irrelevant unless you're earning your living with this. For someone like me who does not want to spend $10,000 or more on separate units this is perfect.
    Last edited by Ullihundi; 06-01-2017 at 11:19 PM.

I have a CT-416, an early MOSFET-based inverter which is TIG/Stick/Plasma. I use the TIG and the cutter functions. I am finding that swapping back and forth is a major annoyance. I am currently trying to track down some recent behavioural issues in my welder, which others think is due to my plumbing. My plumbing is set up to accommodate changing from air to argon and back, quickly. The impression I get is that if I want to use the machine for both, I'll have to use argon-quality plumbing, even for air.

I cannot remember where, but I saw a post saying that machines with a plasma-cutter built in had trouble, regardless of manufacturer. In other words, even the offshore welding units are pretty good, but they get their bad reputation from the multi-process units. Sorry I can't link back to the original...

I came upon your thread trying to decide between AHP and Everlast for dedicated welder so I can dedicate my CT-416 for cutting and backup only welding. As you, I have decided on the Everlast because of features and support, even though it's a few dollars more. Take note -- when I looked at the Canadian site yesterday, the warranty was only THREE years, instead of the five years I thought I saw only last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Ullihundi View Post
    So I will be buying the Everlast PowerPro 256Si shortly. I have done a lot of research and watched some real encouraging video reviews of similar/lesser Everlast units that have made my decision pretty easy. 'Welding Tips and Tricks' as well as 'Weld.com' have pretty much sold me. For hobby/artistic use this is perfect, I blacksmith and this will really help expand my capabilities.
    Please elaborate on what is so scary about a this kind of combo. The argument that if one function fails the whole thing is in the shop for a while is really irrelevant unless you're earning your living with this. For someone like me who does not want to spend $10,000 or more on separate units this is perfect.
    You don't have to spend $10k to get separate ones.
    lol you say the argument is if one fails they all fail doesn't apply to you...wait to see if/when it happens you can't do ****.
    And remember all that crap on youtube someone is getting paid to promote it. They don't really tell you the down falls.
    I do have a customer that has the 256si and he loves it. He also runs his business on it. I agree with the rest that I would never own an all in one machine though.
    you keep all your money in the same piggy bank too?
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer