PowerMax30 Air Error / locked up
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

PowerMax30 Air Error / locked up

I have 15 minutes on my Powermax30 Air and after ordering parts and metal all week - I begin my project. I get into it for about 5 minutes and notice that when I pull my finger off the trigger, the gun stays powered / still cutting.

I though my glove was getting stuck in the trigger, so I just kept cutting g down the other side of the angle iron and when I got done - it was pretty clear the gun would not shut off!!

I pulled the trigger a few times and finally it shut off - but the machine began flashing alternating overtemp and internal compressor. I cycle the power, cycled the trigger, changed voltage - must be a stuck trigger assembly is the only thing I can think of. Is there any other way to reset this thing - it only has a knob and a power switch. Anybody else ever have this issue?

Too bad because I timed things out not expecting to have a down piece of equipment - especially with 15 minutes on it...

Thanks in advance is anybody has any recommendations before they open in the morning...

Re: PowerMax30 Air Error / locked up

Solved:

Trigger switch stuck closed. Disassembled the gun, unplugged the switch and the machine worked fine. Exercised the switch and reassembled - all is good. Prolly need to see if they can send me a new switch.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Tech Service will take care of you. Have your serial number when you contact them. technical.service@hypertherm.com 0r 1 800 643 9878 . Keep us posted!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Solved:

Trigger switch stuck closed. Disassembled the gun, unplugged the switch and the machine worked fine. Exercised the switch and reassembled - all is good. Prolly need to see if they can send me a new switch.

Quick question - what convinced you to buy the 30 Air? I'm seriously considering one because I don't have room for a separate large compressor, but was on the fence regarding ability of the compressor to provide dry enough air and what I've read about moist air doing to consumables. Can you share why you bought this model? Thanks!

The Powermax30 Air has a built in heat exchanger and a coalescing style water separator as well as a particulate filter. During humid weather you will see an occasional small puddle underneath the unit when the auto drain activates. During the development this unit was very well tested under humid conditions while operating at its rated duty cycle. It is unlikely that you will have an issue related to moisture. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by drussell2337 View Post
    Quick question - what convinced you to buy the 30 Air? I'm seriously considering one because I don't have room for a separate large compressor, but was on the fence regarding ability of the compressor to provide dry enough air and what I've read about moist air doing to consumables. Can you share why you bought this model? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Solved:

Glad to hear you fixed it. I'd still call them up and have them send out a new switch. It should work correctly straight out of the box. Nothing worse than losing your trust in a brand new machine. I'm glad you posted the fix just incase one of us has the same issue sometime in the future.

I would seriously consider picking up a small compressor instead of getting the AIR 30. Don't get me wrong the AIR 30 is awesome machine for an all in one mobile unit, but the price jump is not worth it if you are only using it in your garage. There are plenty of small compressors that can run a 30XP just fine. I would say find somewhere in your shop to shove a small compressor and gain all the benefits of having a compressor. Even if you have to build a shelf or something to hide it under. It will give you so many more options for future tools to invest in. Honestly, I couldn't imagine doing any metal work without my compressor! I think a compressor is a crucial tool for any shop.

Once again not bashing the AIR30! I just think a Powermax 30XP paired with a small compressor is the way to go.
    ESAB Powercut 1600/ Hypertherm 30XP + 45XP/ Lincoln Powermig 255/ Jet Band Saw
    Check out my plasma cutter reviews also!
    Current Project: 175 Gallon Reverse Flow BBQ Smoker!

Quote Originally Posted by JMDWelds View Post
    Glad to hear you fixed it. I'd still call them up and have them send out a new switch. It should work correctly straight out of the box. Nothing worse than losing your trust in a brand new machine. I'm glad you posted the fix just incase one of us has the same issue sometime in the future.

I would seriously consider picking up a small compressor instead of getting the AIR 30. Don't get me wrong the AIR 30 is awesome machine for an all in one mobile unit, but the price jump is not worth it if you are only using it in your garage. There are plenty of small compressors that can run a 30XP just fine. I would say find somewhere in your shop to shove a small compressor and gain all the benefits of having a compressor. Even if you have to build a shelf or something to hide it under. It will give you so many more options for future tools to invest in. Honestly, I couldn't imagine doing any metal work without my compressor! I think a compressor is a crucial tool for any shop.

Once again not bashing the AIR30! I just think a Powermax 30XP paired with a small compressor is the way to go.
    The specs for the 30XP say it needs 4CFM @ 80PSI - I've read that for some plasma cutters the published spec is the bare min, and you should buy more capability. what is the min compressor spec needed to be able to use this cutter through it's entire operating range?

The spec for air pressure / flow for the 30 XP is 4.0 scfm @ 80 psi. The published specs listed in the Hypertherm brochures and operators manuals are all accurate and correct and indicate maximum flow under all conditions for these systems. The flow is for the consumable set with maximum orifice size, when using smaller nozzles expect lower flow rate at the same suggested pressure. Jim Colt Hypertherm

The specs for the 30XP say it needs 4CFM @ 80PSI - I've read that for some plasma cutters the published spec is the bare min, and you should buy more capability. what is the min compressor spec needed to be able to use this cutter through it's entire operating range?

Considering the popularity of the Powermax30 Air, I would suggest that many users think the additional cost and complexity of having an internal air compressor on a portable plasma that can operate on either 120 volt or 230 volt power is worth it.

We make it clear that the Powermax30 XP produces more cutting power, and that it is less expensive than the 30 Air, however the sales numbers for the 30 Air do not lie!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by JMDWelds View Post

We have a 30 Air at the shop where i work and i have to say i love the machine, the portability is worth the extra cost over the 30XP ten times over given the way we use it. Not having to drag a 220 volt power cord and an air line for every quick little job is a savings that adds up and the simplicity is priceless. Great product Jim, my compliments to you and your colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The spec for air pressure / flow for the 30 XP is 4.0 scfm @ 80 psi. The published specs listed in the Hypertherm brochures and operators manuals are all accurate and correct and indicate maximum flow under all conditions for these systems. The flow is for the consumable set with maximum orifice size, when using smaller nozzles expect lower flow rate at the same suggested pressure. Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Thanks for the info jim

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Lincoln 210MP
    Makita LC1230