Oxyacetylene safety questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Oxyacetylene safety questions

Do regulators really need to be removed and valve caps put on after each
    time the torch is used in the shop? (new co. policy)

Is it legal to transport acetylene bottles in a closed compartment
    on a service truck?
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A

Vintage-
    -South Bend 9in. lathe
    -South Bend 7in. shaper
    -Craftsman power hacksaw
    -FibreMetal 710
    -B&D mag drill

Re: Oxyacetylene safety questions

I don't know where the removing regulators and reinstalling caps after use is coming from, but it is irritating. Maybe it's an OSHA thing. Seems like someone trying to justify their job.

We have a nitrogen station for charging accumulators. Bottle is secured to wall.
    One of the managers thought that practice should be applied there as well. Even though accumulators get charged several times a day.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

Most sites I have worked at allow you to use the safety caps and then you are suppose to be in the compliance with OSHA and not have to remove regulators each shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1910.253(b)(2)(iv)
    Valve protection caps, where cylinder is designed to accept a cap, shall always be in place, hand-tight, except when cylinders are in use or connected for use.
    I would interpret it as when the regs are on it is "connected for use". So caps could stay off as long as regs are on.

OHSA considers the equipment not in use if it's not going to be used within the next 24 hours. However when you have one acetylene and one oxygen on a welding cart this rule doesn't apply. They call it a minor violation "that have no direct or immediate relationship to safety or health. Consequently, no citation is issued." So it's OK according to OHSA.
    https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...ONS&p_id=25356

But if you are transporting the cylinders caps needs to be put on - but no if they are on the cart (aka a special truck).
    1910.253(b)(5)(ii)(D)
    Unless cylinders are secured on a special truck, regulators shall be removed and valve-protection caps, when provided for, shall be put in place before cylinders are moved.
    Standard is here:
    https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...ARDS&p_id=9854

I would argue that it is unsafe to remove the regs all the time, because the risk of having a leak somewhere is much bigger. It would be better to leave the regs on and leak test everything and then you know it's fine.
    The risk of getting dirt inside the regs is bigger as well when they are not mounted. Oxygen and dirt is not a great combo.
    OHSA also says "There are risks involved with moving cylinders and frequently removing and re-installing regulators and caps, with the attendant wear on tank and regulator threads".

So you company policy is not a OHSA requirement.
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 02-17-2017 at 01:01 PM.

double post

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.S. View Post
    I would interpret it as when the regs are on it is "connected for use". So caps could stay off as long as regs are on.

But if you are transporting the cylinders caps needs to be put on.

Standard is here:
    https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...ARDS&p_id=9854

I would argue that it is unsafe to remove the regs all the time, because the risk of having a leak somewhere is much bigger. It would be better to leave the regs on and leak test everything and then you know it's fine.
    The risk of getting dirt inside the regs is bigger as well when they are not mounted. Oxygen and dirt is not a great combo.
    Thank you for the links.

I agree with and hand argued your point in regard to removing/installing regulators frequently.

Mr. Safety doesn't care/understand/ have a clue. Take your pick.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller CP300
    Miller CP200
    Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Smith torch
    Lagun FTV-2
    Kent 13x40 TRL lathe
    Bunch of other metal cutting tools

Quote Originally Posted by Teggy1 View Post
    Thank you for the links.

I agree with and hand argued your point in regard to removing/installing regulators frequently.

Mr. Safety doesn't care/understand/ have a clue. Take your pick.
    Figures. I added some more info in the post above BTW.

Your question about acetylene in the service truck is not an OHSA issue, it's covered by Department Of Transportation regulations - 49 CFR.
    Don't know the answer but usually every storage has to be ventilated - for obvious reasons.

another head shaking story about educated idiots being given jobs where they have no real world experience........
    Tell him you've found an old acetylene generator and are going to start using that instead