Anyone ever weld aluminum with a Lincoln Handy MIG?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Anyone ever weld aluminum with a Lincoln Handy MIG?

Yeah I know that welding aluminum with a 110v MIG isn't really ideal, but can it be done? The two 110v machines I have at home (a MIG/flux core and a stick) have done great with all the mild steel and stainless I've thrown at them, but would really like to have aluminum welding capability at home (could probably do it at work with our 220v stick welder, but would rather MIG it). The crappy aluminum "brazing" rods I've been using when I had to do something with aluminum are more like soft solder, not very strong at all. Figured I'd ask before going out and getting a cylinder of argon. Also, according to Lincoln Electric, there are no spool guns compatible with this machine, if that helps.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Anyone ever weld aluminum with a Lincoln Handy MIG?

Definitely not saying it can't be done, but it'd have to be some really thin aluminum and would be less than ideal. I feel your time/money/effort would be better spent finding a 220v machine with spoolgun capabilities....just my $.02

Good luck!!
    -Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    Lincoln LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Miller Econotig
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

Re: Anyone ever weld aluminum with a Lincoln Handy MIG?

i welded some with an SP-100 and it worked ok on thin stuff but if its anything thick you should borrow a bigger machine or try to stick weld it with aluminum rods, people will laugh about that but i have used them and they work pretty good in a pinch if you get things clean and the bead looked good too