Figuring out the straight length of a flatbar after its been rolled into a circle - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Figuring out the straight length of a flatbar after its been rolled into a circle

Quote Originally Posted by hommeacier View Post
    Your reply is WRONG.
    Broccoli1 is correct. Unless you have a very expensive computer controlled ring rolling machine available you can use, you'll have to allow for flats on both sides of the ring.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Figuring out the straight length of a flatbar after its been rolled into a circle

Flats are easily removed by backrolling using the common power or hand crank slip roll.
    Last edited by hommeacier; 04-22-2017 at 10:14 PM.

My mistake. you are correct Broccoli. I was referring to DGM's reply just before yours.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Ummmm...

Why not just wrap a tape measure around it?
    Because a standard tape measure is made to be used flat. You'd need to use a pi tape to get a correct measurement.

Same here. I have a few years in a fab shop and I'm just now starting out on my own. I still have my day job as a jr Project Manager but I plan on starting my own company in a few years. I just turned 20 Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by hommeacier View Post
    Flats are easily removed by backrolling using the common power or hand crank slip roll.
    I didn't think you could roll 1/4" steel in a slip roll. I'll have to check into that, I could have used one just the other day, Thanks.

Years ago we had a huge debate over the economics of rolling,welding grinding both sides smooth then re rolling for more exact circle. No scrap but lots of extra labor.

One side preferred the above, the other side said to cut the bar long enough to cut both ends into the true arc. Then weld and grind smooth with no re rolling. This caused some scrap but a lot less labor. Steel was cheap then but a bit slower cutting than aluminum. It still worked out more cost effective to scrap some stock and make it up in labor saved.

Heavier stock this worked out but sheet metal was better to cut to size and weld then re roll as the slip roll was much smaller and easier to operate.