The secret to easy adjustable gin poles. - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The secret to easy adjustable gin poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    Thanks Hoff. I would like to see your set up once you get it built.

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    When I get it done I will share a few pictures. But it sure may take me a while

I will be glad to wait on you Hoff. If you do not beat me to building one you are in trouble. I have to build a bed first and do see about a winch. I let a bed go last week because it was just too far away.

Bob, out of curiosity, is your headache rack/winch cage made out of drill stem?

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    The only constant in life is there is never enough chains

I will be glad to wait on you Hoff. If you do not beat me to building one you are in trouble. I have to build a bed first and do see about a winch. I let a bed go last week because it was just too far away.

Bob, out of curiosity, is your headache rack/winch cage made out of drill stem

Lincoln SA-250
    Lincoln SW 200
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Nice price. But the distance can be more bother than it's worth

It's made of upset tubing which is what most people call drill stem. The front two verticals go through the top plate and are welded to the structural part of the bed right by where it is bolted to the bed. The back two are welded to the top plated which is welded to supports under them. There is about 6" under the supports for the winch as I wanted to be able to slide stuff under it.

Working on a small gin pole set up with Bob's truck as inspiration, I hope to come up with a diually for it at a later date

Name:  IMG_4200.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  167.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4202.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  173.8 KB

And I need to check how to rotate pictures

Anyway, it's not done, but it is coming along

That is looking good. NICE truck too. How are you anchoring the frame you built to the bed?

The only constant in life is that there are never enough chains

That is just beyond bad *** my friend. You did an amazing job. You will never be sorry you built it and it will be better as you learn all the things you can do with one. Years ago, I had a flat on my little 4'x6' trailer that my welding stuff was own. I laid the poles down to where it was over the trailer and picked it up enough to take the pressure off the tires and drove it home, no real problems.

So to finish it off I hope to run all thread down from the headache rack on each side of the frame with a heavy angle under the frame. That should give me 4 each 1/2 inch allthreads under the frame. Enough to lift the whole truck I hope. At the back I want to remove the rear bumper and put two upright box tubes that will hold pipes for carrying beams and tie it into the frame. Probably add two trailer jacks on the tail since it's a single rear wheel for heavy lifts, and maybe air bags. Time will tell.

That is looking good. NICE truck too. How are you anchoring the frame you built to the bed?

Thank you, picked up last week cheap, needs a lil TLC, the

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    That is just beyond bad *** my friend. You did an amazing job. You will never be sorry you built it and it will be better as you learn all the things you can do with one. Years ago, I had a flat on my little 4'x6' trailer that my welding stuff was own. I laid the poles down to where it was over the trailer and picked it up enough to take the pressure off the tires and drove it home, no real problems.

It's getting there, thank you for the inspiration and thank you

Dammit Bob, I'm sorry Wayne passed, I never knew and don't get around much anymore.
    Thank you dearly for sharing your knowledge. I've learned alot from both of you over the years.

Maybe this is nitpicking, but the U. S. Army Field Manual FM 5-125 calls this lifting arrangement a "sheerleg" or "shear legs" as opposed to a gin pole which is a single beam buoyed by 3 or 4 guy wires or ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis G View Post
    Maybe this is nitpicking, but the U. S. Army Field Manual FM 5-125 calls this lifting arrangement a "sheerleg" or "shear legs" as opposed to a gin pole which is a single beam buoyed by 3 or 4 guy wires or ropes.
    Yeah, I saw that when I was searching the Internet, I don't know why but that's what they have become know as. My wife calls it my wench truck. And yes I know I spelled it with an "e". That's what she calls it,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_pole

There is the difference for anyone who cares to read it.

You're simply using two poles instead of one. Using two poles makes it gin poles.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Here is a link to more information:
    http://www.iadc.org/wp-content/uploa...arch-20101.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_pole
    There is the difference for anyone who cares to read it.
    I read that. I found the broader category "derricks" also interesting:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick

Thanks for posting those two links. I will enjoy reading those.

Finished the bolt in and wiring today, lifted the SA-200 like it was nothing. Took a minute to respool the cable with some load, I hope to lift the SA-300 off the trailer this week, if that beast doesn't phase it nothing will.

Next I will work on a better tail board setup and some air bags,

So bob, how do you change up the rigging when it goes over center?

With your center pulley being taller than your leg pivot points, the winch line will hold it up and you can do what you want. In the picture you can see the poles going down and being held up with the winch line. It's not much difference but the center pulley is taller than the pole pivots by a few inches so the winch line holds it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks bob, I will try that when I get a chance.

Lifted the SAE-300 off the trailer this evening

Name:  IMG_4221.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  178.0 KB

I knew it was a lot for the truckName:  IMG_4221.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  178.0 KB, but I was curious about the poles and winch. Worked great, thanks Bob

Okay, I am not sure why it went double and sideways.

Sorry about that

I thought it tilted your truck up for a minute. I have picked up stuff that I should have as well and worse, moved the truck around with it hanging. I built 3 sail boat marinas years ago. I built the sections of walk way and side fingers in the shop and put it together at the lake on a boat ramp. The walk way pieces and the "T" head sections were the heaviest and stuck 25' behind the truck. Every time I backed onto the slope of the ramp, the front end would come off the ground. I had to have the hired hand sit on the hood for those pieces.

Lol, no I didn't tip it over yet, but tomorrow is a new day.

When I get a chance I will stiffen up the rear suspension, and consider more wieght on the front. But I have a fair bit of work to do on the truck to so let's see how it all shakes out with winter coming

Bob-
    I've been studying your posts ever since I acquired a winch truck last year.

Mine won't move the poles. It just sucks them down tighter to the bed instead of raising them. I recently rebuilt my winch and put new lines on the rig and was disappointed when it couldn't move the poles.

Poles pivot near rear spring hangers, are 14' long 3.5" pipe. About 3.25" above flatbed to center of pivot bolt.

I suspect there is some geometry wrong somewhere, I recently welded in a more substantial deadman that rotates so as to lay flush with bed when rigged down.

Can you be more specific about the bed pulley and rear anchor point needing to be higher than pole pivots? Are we talking center of bed pully or where line runs in sheave? It suspect my problem lies is the placement and height of that pulley. Any help would be appreciated.