Inside the HF 95136
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Inside the HF 95136

I just got done with a repair on a Harbor Freight 95136 plasma cutter and took some pictures to post on here. This is not your run of the mill Chinese Plasma cutter!! This is IGBT and transformers ( No Mosfets ) These are well built units.

Just wanted to share this with all the Welding Web

If you need repairs, parts or consumables contact me, Thank you, George
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    HF 95136 and 60767 Plasma Cutter
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Re: Inside the HF 95136

Why was it in need of repair in the first place? Other than that, looks like a nice unit.
    -Alex

Sears/Craftsman 230A Buzzy Box
    Sears/Craftsman 180A Buzzy Box
    Chicago Electric 80A Inverter

ALL STICK...ALL THE TIME!

I spent a lot of time with the square peg and round hole.

Well It came in for no air to the torch. The customer was pissed because they wouldn't give him a new one because it was out of warranty and he wouldn't buy from them again and so on. It turned out it was frozen they don't work well with ice/water and rust in the torch head, regulator and air valves! From what I seen I bet he don't have a filter on the air compressor. As I am in the repair business this is not the first time I have seen this. I will tell him he needs to get a good filter for the compressor and I will show him ones I have in stock but it will be a waste of time because he won't buy one.
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

I bought one of those and really like it. I just wish I knew more about how to use it. Seems like the arc/flame is getting a little ragged and doesn't cut as good as it did to start with. Cleaning the tip helped some. Does anybody know of a good set of instructions for use and care of one of these machines? The manual that comes with it is the usual from HF: "not much help".
    HF Dual Mig 151 with Bluewelders and Galaxieman's mods
    HF Digital Plasma Torch
    HF Blue Flames Hood
    70's era Craftsman 230 stick welder
    Victor 100 OA

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    I will tell him he needs to get a good filter for the compressor and I will show him ones I have in stock but it will be a waste of time because he won't buy one.
    That just means you're a good honest business man trying to look out for the well being of your customer's tools. If they choose to be ignorant, it's their own fault

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1941 View Post
    I bought one of those and really like it. I just wish I knew more about how to use it. Seems like the arc/flame is getting a little ragged and doesn't cut as good as it did to start with. Cleaning the tip helped some. Does anybody know of a good set of instructions for use and care of one of these machines? The manual that comes with it is the usual from HF: "not much help".
    I'm just starting to use mine, and yes, there is not much information in the manual. I did my own research online, looked at you tube plasma cutting videos, and I've got the basics figured out. If you get the tip of the torch too close to your work, your tip and electrode will wear out faster. Very likely, you need to replace your tip. The hole in the tip gradually enlarges with use, and the arc gets too wide. I bought a set of tips and electrodes via ebay from Mechanic416, who started this thread. Good price and fast shipping. I've already worn out the tips that originally came with the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Charleyhorse View Post
    I'm just starting to use mine, and yes, there is not much information in the manual. I did my own research online, looked at you tube plasma cutting videos, and I've got the basics figured out. If you get the tip of the torch too close to your work, your tip and electrode will wear out faster. Very likely, you need to replace your tip. The hole in the tip gradually enlarges with use, and the arc gets too wide. I bought a set of tips and electrodes via ebay from Mechanic416, who started this thread. Good price and fast shipping. I've already worn out the tips that originally came with the machine.
    Are the tips that come with it different quality material from ones bought elsewhere? Knowing HF, that wouldn't be much of a stretch.
    HF Digital Plasma Torch
    HF Blue Flames Hood
    Victor 100 OA

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1941 View Post
    Are the tips that come with it different quality material from ones bought elsewhere? Knowing HF, that wouldn't be much of a stretch.
    The torch for this plasma cutter is made by Trafimet in Itlay, not China. Trafimet torches are good guality and are found on a number of other brands besides HF. My guess is that the tips and electrodes available out there are all made by Trafimet as well.

I just bought a HF 95136 and it's broken. I knew this going in and I'm gambling that I can fix it! It's the same machine you posted pictures of. According to the PO number it's made in June 2010.

I took the cover off and so far I found the Inverter Circuit Board is bad. 4 transistors blown and all four Diodes blown. Have you any experience with this problem?

I suspect the previous owner was working it too hard and blew these parts. Could the damage have gone any farther than this board? HF has the board for $65 but the wait time is 6-8 weeks!
    Here's a picture of the damaged board.

Photobucket
    Last edited by mtnman37879; 03-08-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Good to know that it's a good unit. Have you looked at the eastwood one? I've heard both things about both units. I'm thinking the eastwood stuff and harbor freight stuff is made in the same parent company. Notice how they were all blue and now they are all black.
    Too bad this one isn't 110v.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 62i
    Longevity ProMTS200 & Spool gun
    Thermal Arc 186
    Tweco 141i

From looking at your picture there was a short somewere to do that. Some of the diodes all 4 IGBT's and some resistors are bad.
    Order a new board you should have it in about a week. HF ships faster then you think.

Check it over good for something that may have been shorted out. Check the torch good as sometimes the wires shortout if something is droped on them or burnt.
    If you need help my number is on my web site.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

The only thing Eastwood and Harbor Freight plasma cutters have in common is the torch's are Trafimets, Eastwood is a CB50HF(hight frequency) and Harbor Freight is a S45 (blow-back) non high frequency.
    Eastwood uses Mosfet's and Harbor Freight uses IGBT's.
    Eastwood only sells "drag tips" for their cutters and Harbor Freight only sells "pipe tips" for theirs.
    Eastwood changed their color because another Company that uses blue had a problem with it.
    If you are looking for different consumables for EW or HF plasma cutters check out my Ebay store
    http://stores.ebay.com/The-Plasma-Cu...4&_sop=1&_sc=1
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

Thanks for the info, I ordered the board today. They said it has to come from the manufacturer. I'll receive a letter when it's at the warehouse and then I can make payment. In the mean time I'll strip the whip and check for problems. I'll keep this updated.

I bought on of these plasma cutters broke as well, I called up mechanic416 and he went over some of the basics trying to figure out the problem, I ordered the kit he sells on eBay it's a 13 pc kit. I received it and put new parts on torch and whala!!!! It works....... Although the tips seem to wear out fast, most likely due to newbi user error.... lol
    It cuts right through the steel without a problem, is there any pointers on how to extend the life of the copper tips or is it just best to adapt a better torch to fit it, like the Miller ICE?
    Just curiouse because in the long run that might be cheaper if it yields longer consumables life.
    Thx mechanic416
    SQUARE WAVE 175 TIG
    DUAL MIG 151

The first thing is you are using pipe tips, they are not made to touch the metal being cut. If you are using them a drag tips they won't last long, get drag tips. Air should be set at 70 to 75psi "cutting" not at idle. Air "must" be clean and dry.
    Setting the amps to the right number will also help consumable life. A #6 pipe tip is good for thin metal 1/16" and less at up to 25 amps, #8 pipe tips are good from 1/16" to 1/2" 25 to 40 amps, #10 pipe tips are good to 3/4" at 50 amps. Now on the other hand there are drag tips, they only come in #10 and should be used at 30 to 40 amps and up to about 5/16' metal. But then you have a 4x8 foot peice of sheet metal that you need 3 peices cut at 1'x8' set the sheet up with a stright edge and allow for 1/2 the diamitor of the tip, use a drag tip set at 40amps and in a few seconds one peice is cut ( keep moving at a good speed or you will get a bad cut) it will take longer to set the stright edge then make the cut. " NOTE " you don't have to change the ait pressure it is only there to keep the fire going and get rid of the slag.
    I hope this helps. Now its time for a or
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

HT32BSX115 Guest

Howdy,

I am sure glad I found this site. I just bought an HF95136.

It works fine and I needed to know that you shouldn't let the tip touch the work etc.

It's also nice to know that there's someone out there that can fix it if it breaks.

I spoke to HF tech support. The support person told me that it's essentially a "throwaway" unit. I.E. if it breaks out of warranty, they have no one that can fix it and cannot get parts. Is that true? There's no support info and no schematics etc other than the (rather inadequate) instruction manual that comes with it.

The HF store manager where I bought it told me that I would need to "Take it to a welding supply store" to get it fixed if it fails after the warranty expires.

Definitely a good thing they're using IGBT's. (They didn't exist when I was learning about FETS and MOSFETS in the 70's)

Hope I don't break it!

Regards,

Rick

Hi Rick,

The tips you get with the 95136 are pipe tips and are not made to touch the metal.
    If you want drag tips you will have to go to my ebay store to get some.
    This plasma cutter will last you a long time with a little care, keep it clean inside and out, clean dry air (a must with all plasma cutters). Use only good consumables, not aftermarket ones.
    Harbor Freight has no tech people anymore and I believe that any new plasma cutters other then the 95136 that they will sell in the future will not be as good as the 95136 as they also did away with the R&D department to save money.

If you need any help you can contact me. my website is at the bottom.
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

HT32BSX115 Guest

Thanks for the info George,

Yes I did have a look at your ebay "Store"!

I'll be definitely getting some of those "Drag" tips! I also think I'll want one of the torch "rollers" too.

I also did buy an inline air filter/water separator from HF too. I don't like it and I think it's really inadequate. I may just get something from my local Praxair store where I bought my Synchrowave 180 a few years ago.... I'm in Western Wa....... the air is fairly moist around here!

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Hi Rick,

The tips you get with the 95136 are pipe tips and are not made to touch the metal.
    If you want drag tips you will have to go to my ebay store to get some.
    This plasma cutter will last you a long time with a little care, keep it clean inside and out, clean dry air (a must with all plasma cutters). Use only good consumables, not aftermarket ones.
    Harbor Freight has no tech people anymore and I believe that any new plasma cutters other then the 95136 that they will sell in the future will not be as good as the 95136 as they also did away with the R&D department to save money.

If you need any help you can contact me. my website is at the bottom.

I also bought a 95136 that's wasn't working. Everything comes on but the working light and the digital display says 000. Is this common and can I get the parts from you?

Digital display will read that until you start cutting, thats the only time it will display the amperage, only 0's at idle
    SQUARE WAVE 175 TIG
    DUAL MIG 151

Spnkymnky:

Yes that is the way the display works.

As Spar-X: Has said the display will read 000 until you start to cut, then it will display the output that you are cutting at. To make the display work "right" when you set the amps it would have added about $400 to the price of the cutter. Think about it , you don't see digital displays on most of the name brand cutters, "why" because this would just add a lot to the cost and just something else to go bad. My miller Syncrowave 200 has digital display, that was most of the cost because the rest of the unit is transformers. Good old dials on knobs would have worked just fine. Also I have not found (one) of the cheaper plasma cutters out there, that the digital display works right on. Its just a selling item.

Yes I carry the parts to repair these plasma cutters.
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

I agree that the display is a selling point and not of much real use. Unless you have eyes in the back of your head, you cant see the display while you are cutting anyway. It would be nice if it displayed the amperage when turned on, but that would add $$$$$.
    HF Digital Plasma Torch
    HF Blue Flames Hood
    Victor 100 OA

I don't really care if the display works, that statement was more of a trouble shooting point. I've not used a cutter without a drag tip. It's my understanding that I should have a pilot arc at the first trigger squeeze and it should activate full power with continuity with the work. We'll I'm not getting my pilot, it appears the relays are energizing and the guy I got it from probably doesn't understand what duty cycle is, so is there a common failure due to being over worked. Upon inspection is found no burnt components or aparent open circuits. My electronic background is atc radar/commo repair in the Army, oef 4-5 hooah, but I don't really have the time to learn the equipment from scratch with the overtime I get. So if yall could help me cheat a little. Ty

Btw this forum is awesome, I've already learned a few tricks I've never heard anyone talk about :-)

I will need a hole lot more info before I can even guess what the problem is. What is the air pressure set at? are all the torch parts in place electrode, swirl ring, tip and cap.? does the air activate when you pull the trigger? does the air come on when you set the switch to test? are you sure you are getting 230 volts?
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

75psi working pressure , air works both ways,I believe torch is assembled correctly and doesn't work when tips removed. I'll check voltage in tomorrow, I'm using a Miller 300 for power. Is a generator power supply suitable? Sorry I should have taken pictures during idle operation, should the internal leds all be on? Is there any other test points I can record for you?