as green as they come
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

as green as they come

newbie here. and looking for advice... I recently was certified in 3g and 4g stick welding as well as the LA city written exam and code book test... other then the stuff I have learned from my instructors I am as green as they come. I have worked in restaurants and hotels my whole life and am sick of it. Welding always interested me and thats why I decided to pursue it. with these certifications now, I still don't even feel that confident, and since I have no experience, I feel employers won't take me seriously. any advice on how to obtain entry level positions or even apprenticeships? any advice on ways to go about landing my first welding job would be much appreciated ! thank you for your time

Re: as green as they come

Are you wanting to work outside or prefer an inside factory/production setting? If outside go knock on the Ironworker's Hall door. They'd be happy to see you with a few welding papers in your hand.

Welcome...
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

Were those bend tests or x-ray?

Being that you have no experience, don't count on actually doing much welding on your first job, or first couple jobs. Some guys get lucky, but for many it takes a few years fitting and tacking and grinding before you get to weld much.
    Also know that certs aren't some golden ticket you present to an employer and boom, they hire you. Current certs or not, most of them will require you to pass their test as part of the pre-employment screening.
    Last edited by Hillbilly Welder; 03-14-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    2000 Lincoln SA-250
    1974 Miller Dial-Arc 250

In my area , all you need to do is show up every day, show initiative and willingness to learn . If you present yourself with those attributes finding and keeping a job is no problem. I have been a "certified" welder for about 9 years now and i have only had to show my papers 1 time to a structural engineering firm on a project ... i think they just wanted to see if i really was certified. On high end work you will haft to certify on each job anyhow, And yes your first job in this field will probably be a helper.

either or to be honest. inside would be nice. but I'm not wuss, outside is cool with me

that is totally fine. I'm more than happy doing the grunt work and working my way up... they tests were bend tests.

thank you so much for your info ! its been hard finding someone to take me on as a helper