Old Willys welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Old Willys welder

Can someone please tell me about this welder. Just bought it and the info plate is missing. Powered by a willys 4 Cyl flat head. Controls on the side. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Old Willys welder

Old Hobart. Member Slob will be along and give you the particulars on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    Old Hobart. Member Slob will be along and give you the particulars on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From what I've read, 'slob' is the guy on here for old Hobarts. Thanks!

OP, where are you located? That welder is probably desirable to a Wiley's Jeep collector. I don't know much about them but I've seen discussions about them on some of the Wiley's forums. If nothing else, somebody would want it for the engine if it's not usable as is.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
    OP, where are you located? That welder is probably desirable to a Wiley's Jeep collector. I don't know much about them but I've seen discussions about them on some of the Wiley's forums. If nothing else, somebody would want it for the engine if it's not usable as is.
    I'm in NC, not looking to get rid of it.......yet. Really wanting to restore it.

Name:  IMG_3399.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  94.9 KB

Here's the panel view

Quote Originally Posted by Pupertray View Post
    Name:  IMG_3399.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  94.9 KB

Here's the panel view
    I'd say a 250A machine built in the late 1940's to mid 1950's prior to relocating the current controls to the end about 1956. In 1963 the sheet metal changed and went to a more flattened profile. The 134ci "Kaiser/Willy's" engine is sought after with the older military Jeep collectors for sure. I've seen a lot of these welders scrapped out solely to salvage the engine for another use. It will be a DC current machine only with probably a 3kw auxiliary section but most were 1kw. If running correct, it will weld all day however.

I have a couple 300A versions that are very similar but longer in the welding generator section. They are powered by Chrysler flathead sixes and run/operate perfect.

I can see where your identification tag was below the steering wheel current control. This was an aluminum plate and they did corrode terrible if in a salt environment. My machine that looks similar with the side controls does not have a model number stamped so really cannot help there.

Should you decide to part the machine I'd be interested in the lifting bale, (round lifting hook) and the end closing panel covering the battery compartment as mine are missing on two different machines.

Sorry I can't be more help from the appearance.

Thanks,
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Slob... You are in luck on the bail. I just happen to have one kicking around my shop, came off the old diesel I had (rattled something terrible with the 2-71 engine) I'll look this weekend and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pupertray View Post
    I'm in NC, not looking to get rid of it.......yet. Really wanting to restore it.
    I don't blame you. I think it would be cool toy to have. Fix it up nice and take it out to the Jeep shows and show it off. FWIW somebody has replaced the original generator with a later model car alternator. Also I think the original starter and electrics may be 6 volt instead of 12 so find out before putting in a 12V battery and burning something up.

There are tons of old tractors around that were originally 6 volt, but have 12 volt alternators and 12 volt batteries. Nothing else has been changed. My uncle has a Farmall C(I think) with that treatment, hasn't hurt a thing. Starter spins a bit faster on 12 though.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Slob... You are in luck on the bail. I just happen to have one kicking around my shop, came off the old diesel I had (rattled something terrible with the 2-71 engine) I'll look this weekend and let you know.
    That'd be great. My 65 G-258 is missing the "ring" part; was cut off below the hood line and the hole covered with an Appleton Electric cover. All large Hobarts need their ring.....

Thanks,
    Slob

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
    I don't blame you. I think it would be cool toy to have. Fix it up nice and take it out to the Jeep shows and show it off. FWIW somebody has replaced the original generator with a later model car alternator. Also I think the original starter and electrics may be 6 volt instead of 12 so find out before putting in a 12V battery and burning something up.
    Not hard to convert with a 12V internal resistance ignition coil or run a Chrysler style external ballast resistor, change to negative ground, swap the leads on the starting battery charging ammeter and should be good to go. 12V will definitely allow the engine to spin faster than it's original 6VDC system did but it won't hurt the starter at all. Mine are still 6V but start well being kept indoors when not in use.
    Slob

I've had perhaps 10 Jeeps with that engine. They are not powerhouses. Oiling, and filtering were not perfect. In a Jeep 50,000 miles if you changed oil and filter at 1000 mile intervals, and didn't beat them. Rebuild cost is about $1000 for these engines. I've seen published specs of 30 HP, and 60. I believe little change ever influenced horsepower, until they changed to F head in 1953, where half the valves were in the head. I always loved the purr of these engines at 1000 RPM.

These engines were used in a multitude of machines following WWII. A local collector had a huge auction of 150 machines a while back. I was amazed at the variety of manufacturers using this little engine.

I still have the first L head Jeep I ever owned. In 1969 I was 13. Dad bought two 1947 Jeeps for $200. One had a running engine, bad frame, the other had good frame, broken crank shaft. For a 13 year old with no experience it was a total immersion learning experience to rebuild. Dad put in some very long hours at work in those days. I did most of it myself.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I've had perhaps 10 Jeeps with that engine. They are not powerhouses. Oiling, and filtering were not perfect. In a Jeep 50,000 miles if you changed oil and filter at 1000 mile intervals, and didn't beat them. Rebuild cost is about $1000 for these engines. I've seen published specs of 30 HP, and 60. I believe little change ever influenced horsepower, until they changed to F head in 1953, where half the valves were in the head. I always loved the purr of these engines at 1000 RPM.

These engines were used in a multitude of machines following WWII. A local collector had a huge auction of 150 machines a while back. I was amazed at the variety of manufacturers using this little engine.

I still have the first L head Jeep I ever owned. In 1969 I was 13. Dad bought two 1947 Jeeps for $200. One had a running engine, bad frame, the other had good frame, broken crank shaft. For a 13 year old with no experience it was a total immersion learning experience to rebuild. Dad put in some very long hours at work in those days. I did most of it myself.

Willie
    Ain't really much like the "grunt" of a flathead gas engine at work. Just like a diesel at 1600-1850 rpm under a hard pull in a truck or tractor.

Music to my ears for certain.
    Slob

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    That'd be great. My 65 G-258 is missing the "ring" part; was cut off below the hood line and the hole covered with an Appleton Electric cover. All large Hobarts need their ring.....

Thanks,
    Bail has been found and PM sent.

Thanks and response sent. Really appreciated as "Mr. Quest" hasn't been happy missing his antennae.....
    Slob

There HOBART 300 amp in my Richmond VA Craigslist guy wants $1200 looks has 6 cylinder