Quadrajet / 350 Chevrolet - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Quadrajet / 350 Chevrolet

I got ahold of one today..said it ran great on the stock engine, but with a 327, headers, cam and a set of the double hump heads...wouldn't fall out of a tree.
    I opened it up and replaced the accelerator pump along with the needle and seat and fuel filter.
    I knocked the plug out so I could adjust the front primary metering rods and readjusted the rear...along with everything else...timing,choke and the idle mixture screws.
    Runs sweet on that 327. No hesitation, started easy, choke pulled open and the fast/cold idle worked good.
    The biggest part of the improvement was the front metering rods. Here's a couple pics, you just knock out the plug and can access the adjustment for the front rodsName:  Screenshot_2017-03-31-22-07-20.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  36.9 KBName:  Screenshot_2017-03-31-22-07-51.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  32.3 KB

Yep. That sets the minimum height of the primary rods and where they sit in relationship to the primary jets at full vacuum (primary throttle plates closed) and affects part throttle performance. Earlier units (pre-smog) didn't have this adjustment and one had to rely on swapping rods with different taper contours.

With the cam (depending on what it is) and headers it could probably benefit power wise with some re-jetting and a few other common tricks. Obviously the day was a success.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

When I was 16 and had my first v8 s10, it had a Qjet..I used it for a long time before I started playing with fuel injection. We would put them on the AMC 304 motors that we four-wheeled because they ran on steep hills pretty good
    You can make a pretty simple harness, use a oxygen sensor and a DVOM, then get a real time air fuel ratio then adjust accordingly...those Qjet carbs were sweet if they were right, plenty of fuel when needed and the mpg were almost as good as efi, as long as it was tuned correctly.
    I kinda enjoyed working with this one today..kinda nice from the normal digital integrated vehicles I work on everyday

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Yep. That sets the minimum height of the primary rods and where they sit in relationship to the primary jets at full vacuum (primary throttle plates closed) and affects part throttle performance. Earlier units (pre-smog) didn't have this adjustment and one had to rely on swapping rods with different taper contours.

With the cam (depending on what it is) and headers it could probably benefit power wise with some re-jetting and a few other common tricks. Obviously the day was a success.
    I do have an old stock pile of carb jets, Springs and clips and so on...this one smelled pretty nice out of the tail pipes and we don't have a dyno so a little tweaking went a long way.
    The cam is pretty mild, and the motor was originally a 5.7 so the jets should be close enough for this car...it's nothing special, but it'll idle and run pretty clean now

Guys like you that understands and can work on them are getting to be few and far between for sure.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!

I think motivation is the cause of that, if I want to learn something...ill learn it.
    I'll take stuff apart then figure out how and why it works, then I'll start wondering about why they made it this way or that way, then I'll re-design it in my head, then I'll make improvements or repairs, and so on... I couldn't tell you the number of things I've dismantled and reassembled, just to see how and why they work

If one doesn't understand how something works they can't expect to be able to troubleshoot/fix it when it's doesn't work.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save 2nd Base!