Project in mind to build "Vault Door" for gun room
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Project in mind to build "Vault Door" for gun room

I have been looking to buy one back in days but since welding becomes my hobby i am thinking to build one by my self.
    So the main question for now is where i can get this lock mechanism? i tried google it "Vault lock mechanism" etc. nothing close ( . any one have been dealing with this kinda stuff or have any suggestion ?
    Thanks !Name:  s-l1600 (10).jpg
Views: 510
Size:  26.0 KB
    Name:  s-l1600 (11).jpg
Views: 502
Size:  22.8 KB
    Last edited by alex300; 03-20-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Re: Project in mind to build "Vault Door" for gun room

I built one years ago and used a vault door that the home owner found at an auction. It was originally in a bank and cost him only a couple hundred bucks back then. I would check on ebay for used ones. Make sure it has the combination as they sell both ways, with and with out combo.

If it doesn't have the combo with the door a half way decent lock smith (aka a safe cracker) can easily figure it out for you especially since they will have access to the back side of the door.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 (dialarc) stick AC/DC and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer, now with foot switch!!
    Home made DR44G alternator welder

This older thread gives you an idea of what one of those types of locking system might look like.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...-storm-shelter
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Not to rain on the parade, but if the room is conventionally framed, is it really worth spending $$$$$ on a Fort Knox-level lock and door if someone can simply take a 16 oz. hammer (or even just a utility knife) and bust out the drywall between two studs and walk through? In that case, the elaborate lock and vault door will simply alert them that there's something valuable inside worth the 20 minutes it will take to make a new doorway through the drywall...stealth is more your friend than illusions of armor, IMHO...

one would think the rest of the room will be hardened to be as close to the security the door offers..one would think, but not always the case..A friend has a gun shop and has " safe rooms" to store the guns when closed, all the walls have alarm wires embedded in them, so if you cut the walls the alarm sounds for the police to come, he said nothing will stop them, you just have to slow them down long enough to get caught..and when the gun store alarm goes off, the police get there quick, 5 minutes or less..so you wouldnt have much time to take much...and in 30 plus years..no break ins...
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 03-21-2017 at 08:06 AM.

i have a diebold combination lock and bolt lever that came off this safe. i might be persuaded into letting it go if you're interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

I agree that the door is useless if the rest of the room isn't hardened. Even a thin layer of 16 or 18 gauge steel under the sheetrock would be enough. It might also save your valuables in the event of a fire by buying you some time for the fire department to put out the blaze. This post reminded me of the super-cool gun room that "Bert" had in the original movie Tremors. It was a concrete basement and all the firearms were mounted in recesses in the walls and were behind lockable glass.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

My family runs a sporting goods shop and it seems to me that nearly all the gun safes have the same brand lock.

http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/p...ks/6400-series

I fabricated something similar for a secure tool shop door a number of years back. I'll take some pix and post.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Why not just buy an extra tall gun safe and cut the back off, weld channels to the sides and top and set it into your concrete block wall just like a steel doorjamb?
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

They do make them. Here's one called 'SnapSafe'. A bit pricey, but designed for just what you've described. http://www.deansafe.com/snapsafe-vault-door.html
    Dynasty 200 DX TIGRunner package with Coolmate 1.

Just put up a convincing fake door on a blind wall and leave the guns under a bed.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    Just put up a convincing fake door on a blind wall and leave the guns under a bed.
    I like it - leads to a brick basement wall
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I installed one of those vault doors on a GSA project, IIRC the door alone was right around $6k and weighed a good 3-400lbs. I think it came from Brown Safe.

If you come to Ontario, Canada with a trailer I'll sell you a door like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    one would think the rest of the room will be hardened to be as close to the security the door offers..one would think, but not always the case..A friend has a gun shop and has " safe rooms" to store the guns when closed, all the walls have alarm wires embedded in them, so if you cut the walls the alarm sounds for the police to come, he said nothing will stop them, you just have to slow them down long enough to get caught..and when the gun store alarm goes off, the police get there quick, 5 minutes or less..so you wouldnt have much time to take much...and in 30 plus years..no break ins...
    My neighbor owned a gunshop in a strip mall for years. He did lots of armoring of the windows and front and back doors in addition to alarms on all entry points, but no motion sensors (too many false alarms). Then thieves broke into the salon next door and went through the wall between them and made off with a bunch of guns. AFAIK they were never caught.
    Web developer/ LAMP stack back end programmer for a living
    Welding/ fabricating for a hobby

Miller Multimatic 200
    1947 SA-200 Junior (non running at the present)
    1977 SA-200
    1961 SAE-300
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
    Harris OA
    EVOSAW380