Trailblazer purchase help?! - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Trailblazer purchase help?!

Inspect any low-hour 302's you find with a fine-tooth comb to convince yourself that the hour reading is true. If a certain board in these machines goes bad, the replacement board which also has the hourmeter on it will restart hours at zero. This straight from a Miller tech when I called him about a 302 I was looking at and the hours didn't match the machine's appearance. If the board was replaced under warranty, Miller will have a record, and likely the hour reading(s) at replacement(s) ... if replaced after warranty they won't have records at all.

I would also suggest you call Miller with the S/N and let them tell you any warranty repair history and verify it isn't stolen.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

That's great info! Thanks

I think I found a winner... a 2009 302 Diesel. 700 hours. Anything I need to know about those?

As long as the price is reasonable, should be OK. The diesel was a really expensive option that not many people chose -- I couldn't make it pencil out for me when I looked at them new. It's a high-RPM diesel, so not much quieter than a gas engine, if any. Should be easier on fuel which won't be a big deal unless you're putting some serious hours on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    As long as the price is reasonable, should be OK. The diesel was a really expensive option that not many people chose -- I couldn't make it pencil out for me when I looked at them new. It's a high-RPM diesel, so not much quieter than a gas engine, if any. Should be easier on fuel which won't be a big deal unless you're putting some serious hours on it.
    Well my truck is a diesel so I would actually prefer a diesel. And would definitely take a Kubota diesel over a Kohler gasser any day of the week. Even if it's just as loud. What I like is that when the SHTF like back in 2012. I have the ability to stockpile 100 gal. Of diesel fuel for my truck and now generator if we lose power.

I think for the price I'm getting it for.. I need to get it in the back of my truck, run for the hills and not look back..lol

We had ONE at work, really easy on fuel too. What's the price ? I haven't seen ANY diesels for sale by me in long long time.

$3300 cheap in my area. Take it in CASH and offer less , maybe $2,800.00 and settle at $3000.00. Any cable , stinger , ground ?

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    $3300 cheap in my area. Take it in CASH and offer less , maybe $2,800.00 and settle at $3000.00. Any cable , stinger , ground ?
    Well it was 3600. Got him down to 3300. Supposedly has leads but don't know how long.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcm308 View Post
    Well it was 3600. Got him down to 3300. Supposedly has leads but don't know how long.
    I would buy it for that.

Going to get it tonight. Not counting my chickens until it's in the back of my truck and I'm on the highway home!

Sounds like a good choice to me, much better than what you started out with.

So I made the 5 hour round trip last night to retrieve the diesel. The machine is a cream puff. Stored indoors it's whole life, not a dent or scratch, stickers still perfect. Runs perfect. The fella did a full demo on it with me. Came with 50' leads and the Miller cover. I'm pretty stoked! That little Kubota is cute! And when cranked up, sounds like a mean little engine!

picture uploader
    Last edited by Mcm308; 03-24-2017 at 07:27 AM.

GREAT DEAL and wise choice ! Nice seeing a plan come together.

I wish that Miller had offered the diesel for the airpak...That would have been nice

Good luck with your welder i see it has AC output ...One thing miller removed from later machines ...Why i have no idea...and a dumb idea IMHO
    so you can run a 251-D Box for AC / DC high freq start tig ...you can find those for around 400.00 to 600.00 used in good to new shape

There is nothing you cannot do with a TB and some plug in accessories
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Your welder purchase turned out great. You can get a manual Transfer switch from home depot like this:
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Co...6HDK/202213700
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 03-24-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    I wish that Miller had offered the diesel for the airpak...That would have been nice
    I thought that for awhile after the 302 had been replaced by the 325, the 302 airpak was still available and was diesel-powered. Possibly I'm losing my mind though.

Thank you All for the help, tips, links, and we'll wishes! It is greatly appreciated.

Not sure what accessories I will get. I can just plug in my Fabricator and there is my wire feeder. That's probably all I'll ever need.
    Last edited by Mcm308; 03-25-2017 at 07:50 AM.