Dual shield welding........Why????? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Dual shield welding........Why?????

when the erecting contractor is paying upwards of 100.00 bucks an hour per highly skilled welder he wants as much high quality weld metal as he can get. column splices and heavy moment plates can be knocked out in no time with this process.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

IN your world.
    We didnt "discover' mixes until the middle to late eighties. Dual shield was Trojan and a Colt 45 in case her husband got home early............

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post
    Although not in Pulse mode, we preferred to use the Millermatic 350p over the Millermatic 252 any day of the week for FCAW-GS. We would hit the 60% duty cycle on the 252.
    I've ran a lot of it with a big blue 400 diesel and a 12vs feeder.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    We ran dual shield, splicing these 10-feet diameter X 1-inch wall piling in the Columbia River gorge.
    Do you have a video of you riding the bike loop-the-loop inside the pipe? Orbital welding ...
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Isn't dual shield a little more forgiving than solid wire on rusty/dirty metal, in the same way that 6010/11 is more forgiving than 7018? (I'm not a MIG guy, but I got that feeling the one or two times I used it.)

I'll bet he does Dick.
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 24 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

What about the polarity of dual shield? EP? Like SMAW?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Something that people are missing is that dual shield historically had best charpy impact test values. From what I understand it still has. It isn't important until you are involved in structures that have sudden loads at low temperatures. I know that in Canada this was a big deal and years later this caught on in California for that extra earthquake protection. Things given an steady load were fine but give them an impact load like an earthquake and welds fracture. The charpy is expressed in foot pounds at different temps. The machine to test is a big sledge hammer on a hinge like a clock pendulum. You chill the sample to the required temp then quickly clamp it in the vice at the bottom and release the hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    Do you have a video of you riding the bike loop-the-loop inside the pipe? Orbital welding ...
    That picture was taken down river at General Cascade shipyard in Portland Oregon. I worked there, setting a 9260 crawler crane on a barge. Over seen the shipyard welders weld down the deck winch, deck sheaves, and fairleads.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

From what I was told years ago, Dual Shield was originally designed to be a replacement for SMAW to reduce waste (stubs) and starts/stops. But factor in the cost of gas, machines, and the lack of portability, it's not a cost effective replacement. SMAW still has it's purpose. But I'll use Dual Shield over SMAW any chance I get. Probably because I haven't done SMAW in many years, and if I were to give it a whirl today, it would probably look like bird ****.
    RGL Motorsports #129
    RL Ironworks - Random side stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    What about the polarity of dual shield? EP? Like SMAW?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    yes, DC+
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post
    From what I was told years ago, Dual Shield was originally designed to be a replacement for SMAW to reduce waste (stubs) and starts/stops. But factor in the cost of gas, machines, and the lack of portability, it's not a cost effective replacement. SMAW still has it's purpose. But I'll use Dual Shield over SMAW any chance I get. Probably because I haven't done SMAW in many years, and if I were to give it a whirl today, it would probably look like bird ****.
    I would respectfully disagree. With the availability of suitcases and a hundred feet of gas hose it is just as portable as a SMAW setup. Add into that the fact that you arent paying a welder to stop every 8-10" and you are well ahead of the game.

FCAW-G is miles ahead of SMAW in deposition rates as well.

A you stated, SMAW still has its place and i do agree with that. SMAW will not be going anywhere anytime soon. There will never be a "one process for all" that eliminates the other manual processes for good.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

What gas or mixture do you run with DS?
    To love is to weld

Quote Originally Posted by WildWestWelder View Post
    I've always used tri-mix on jobsites.

I've always ran either 75/25 or 100% co2 with dual shield.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by WildWestWelder View Post
    that depends on the exact wire you are running. All of the ones I am familiar with use either 100% CO2 or 75% AR/ 25% CO2 mixture
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Nice work!

I've ran some dualshield at a shop a worked at a while back and I don't remember ever grinding mill scale.
    My question is, Now that I'm running my own shop, if I have a staircase to build (or some beam work) can I get away with welding right through the millsacale? That would save me a TON of time on some jobs instead of grinding the mill scale and mig welding.

Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

Quote Originally Posted by outdoort View Post
    I've ran some dualshield at a shop a worked at a while back and I don't remember ever grinding mill scale.
    My question is, Now that I'm running my own shop, if I have a staircase to build (or some beam work) can I get away with welding right through the millsacale? That would save me a TON of time on some jobs instead of grinding the mill scale and mig welding.
    Sure, I don't grind millscale when using hard wire, certainly not with mill scale.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    I've always used tri-mix on jobsites.

tri-mix? never heard of anyone using tri-mix. not even stainless DS, it still recommends 75/25

fwiw. in the past i always used 75/25. now i use co2 for almost every thing. i have a 330cf size tank with a fill station on it and then a couple 10# and 20# tanks for each welder. super simple for field work, top off a 10# tank and it lasts a day.
    a shop full of welders and equipment

general contractor specializing in unique problem solving
    commercial industrial and custom residential

Quote Originally Posted by outdoort View Post
    Last structural steel shop I worked at used Hobart Fabcor 86R metal cored wire and we ran it over some pretty heavy mill scale with out any problems. It sprays on really smooth and there's no slag to deal with. It leaves quite a few silicon islands that need to be removed before any coating but they come off real easy with a light pass with a needle scaler. Deposition rates are considerably higher than with dual shield.

The only down side with using it is that it's pretty much limited to flat and horizontal (unless you've got a more sophisticated power source that can pulse). If you have the capabilities to flip what you're building around so you can do all the welding flat or horizontal you ought to look into giving it a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    CEP, did you ride your Schwinn to work that day?
    Haha!!

You want the flux core because the flux burns out the impurities in the metal. Depending on the shielding gas being used. You'll burn a lot hotter and get better penetration. With straight CO2 that's best for outside welding because it's heavier than air we weld all the time in 15+ mph winds. We still pass X-ray and UT along with being able to weld more in the same period of time.
    Short arc mig is not used in most structural welding because it will not bond the weld joint like flux
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    “I'm going to do the thing that God put Galen Beasley on this Earth to do:
    Have Salon quality hair and weld.
    Nothing like a good cup of coffee and the smell of 6010 burning in the morning.
    503-752-4406 cell
    API ASME Structural NDT and Repair

The thicker the plate the more heat you need. Steel melts around 2800 deg. The temperature of a flux core weld puddle is between 5000-7000 degrees depending on the setup. More than enough heat to melt the base metals.
    The weld is usually stronger than the base metals.
    “I'm going to do the thing that God put Galen Beasley on this Earth to do:
    Have Salon quality hair and weld.
    Nothing like a good cup of coffee and the smell of 6010 burning in the morning.
    503-752-4406 cell
    API ASME Structural NDT and Repair

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    tri-mix? never heard of anyone using tri-mix. not even stainless DS, it still recommends 75/25

fwiw. in the past i always used 75/25. now i use co2 for almost every thing. i have a 330cf size tank with a fill station on it and then a couple 10# and 20# tanks for each welder. super simple for field work, top off a 10# tank and it lasts a day.
    Now that I think about it, I've always been using 9 chrome and 2.25 chrome, which could be why. This was all code welding in boilers, welding the headers. So everything was preheated to 450-500 degrees. Not sure if that makes the difference. I just weld what they tell to me weld with what they tell me to use, or else I gets the hose again.

Did you see it? In CEP's piling pictures there's a banana seat Schwin in the left one.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask