Miller 135 Mig losing voltage upon each trigger pull
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller 135 Mig losing voltage upon each trigger pull

My miller 135 is relatively new it has just sat around while Ive used my lincoln, but one day I went to use it and upon pulling the trigger nothing was wrong at all but when I stopped and pulled the trigger again the voltage flow to the wire feeding motor drops and eventually goes to zero. I Took the unit apart and measure the voltage with a DMM and saw that after the first pull of the trigger each pull drops about 20%. I checked the voltage back to the capacitor and that is charging and discharging properly but it seems like the source off the board might be at fault? Im currently pursuing a career as an electrical engineer so I was able to make it as far to say that each trigger pull drops the voltage at the wire feed motor by atleast 20%.

Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it? Any help is appreciated

Re: Miller 135 Mig losing voltage upon each trigger pull

You may have a bad relay on the pc board. I have these relays stay closed just long enough to charge up the large cap. then open up. The motor will feed a little and come to a slow stop.
    If you try to weld it stops real fast.
    The pcb in your welder has a relay on it that applies power to a current control circuit (light dimmer) out the other side to the transformer. Make sure your gun trigger is making good contact and telling the welder to turn on. Check the control pots and make sure they are plugged in and test good. rating is printed on them, You can use a volt meter to see the trigger voltage at the pcb to make sure the trigger circuit is good.Use the diagram pasted inside the case. Use care when working with live voltage. Get help if you need to.
    If the pcb has all its inputs and power into it, Then think about repairing the pcb.
    The relay can be changed with basic soldering and desoldering tools. Should be able ti find a replacement relay at a electronics store.

Yes the gun is making correct contact, I made a jumper wire and attempted to weld while i was jumping the terminals to make it feed, and it still died. What are you referring to with PCB? Power control board? Ill have to trace the lines back to a relay. I wish miller released the circuit diagram so I could see the pin values for each component, but ill check to see if i can find the component type on the top of it and see what part of that relay should have live voltage. thanks for your help, a welding shop near me quoted me at 50$ to look at the device and 90$ an hour i believe to fix it, he told me to buy a new device. Gotta love it

see your PM

more problems with a new miller?
    Quality must be going downhill fast..

regards to all are hurt by this post. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    more problems with a new miller?
    Quality must be going downhill fast..

regards to all are hurt by this post. LOL
    Brucer, why try to stir the pot? You know exactly why people have issues with the "other " machines. Miller, Lincoln... every brand will have some issues at some point. The big difference is in quality control and how few issues there are right off the factory floor, and how repair issues can get resolved years down the line.

Look how many SA-200 threads there are. Many of these machines have probably worked more hours than most members have over their life. Parts are still available easily and you can take it in to almost any welder repair facility and get it worked on. If I wanted to, I can probably contact Miller and get the service manual for this unit. You can even download the parts list on line along with the electrical wiring diagram that's found in the manual.

We won't even get into the issue of how Miller and Lincoln treat their customers when there is an issue with a new machine. You don't get any where near the amount of BS that you do with one of the imports.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Brucer, why try to stir the pot? You know exactly why people have issues with the "other " machines. Miller, Lincoln... every brand will have some issues at some point. The big difference is in quality control and how few issues there are right off the factory floor, and how repair issues can get resolved years down the line.
    I know a guy that bought a syncrowave 350 last year, brand new for like $6000, DOA dead board on a brand new top end welder, evidently it wasnt even tested... It took him 1 1/2 weeks for him to get the unit back, and they repaired it, and he was a business account with the lws.. I would be pissed if they repaired a brand new $6000 welder, I would want it replaced with another unit or my money back..

Look how many SA-200 threads there are. Many of these machines have probably worked more hours than most members have over their life. Parts are still available easily and you can take it in to almost any welder repair facility and get it worked on. If I wanted to, I can probably contact Miller and get the service manual for this unit. You can even download the parts list on line along with the electrical wiring diagram that's found in the manual.
    and how many you see that people have torn apart and rebuilding or working on? I drove a car that had 250,000 miles on it, I had to worked on it to keep it going....

We won't even get into the issue of how Miller and Lincoln treat their customers when there is an issue with a new machine. You don't get any where near the amount of BS that you do with one of the imports.
    I've seen several people come in here complaining of Lincoln's customer service recently, and now I'm seeing more coming on here complaining of Millers crapping out on them, two with dead machines today..

I've also went into a couple lws show rooms, looking specifically at Miller welders 212 and 252, broken plastic doors, handles bent on 2 different units. real classy I tell you..

I'll add, i was looking at the millers at a local Airgas...

too add, I owned a 252a/30amp spoolgun, nice machine, was it special? no, I sold it.
    Last edited by brucer; 01-13-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Brucer,

You need to hang out on the "Sponsored Forums". You've already proven you don't know enough about welding equipment to take advantage of the features of a MM 252 and spoolgun.

From your posts, it would seem your primary intent in being on WW is to show your Azz in the Off Topic (Political Forum).

If you checked the statistics, you'd find that both Miller and Lincoln both sell more entry level mig welders in a week than either of the "Importers" sell in a year. When you consider the number of units they deliver, the "failure rate" is in the noise level.

So your buddy had problems with a Sync 350. Took him 1 1/2 weeks to get the machine back in service. Lets see, 1 1/2 weeks translates to about 7 working days. First day the unit was probably logged in. Second day diagnostics performed and parts ordered. Fourth day parts arrived. Fifth day parts were installed and checked out. Sixth day additional reliability tests conducted. Seventh day the machine was returned to the owner. Sounds pretty good to me.

How long do you think it would take to get another Chinese welder? That's assuming that a new unit is available and not "on the boat" due to arrive in 30 days.

Demand a new machine. LMAO. When was the last time your car dealer gave you a new car because the one you bought had a bad control switch for the 4 wheel drive. (I had that issue on a new GMC Envoy).

Like I said previously, your knowledge base and personality seem to fit better on the "Sponsored forums". The newbies over there don't know much either. You can be the smartest kid in the "slow section".
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Brucer,

You need to hang out on the "Sponsored Forums". You've already proven you don't know enough about welding equipment to take advantage of the features of a MM 252 and spoolgun.
    Sundown,
    pretty simple to use, It's a mig welder, not too difficult actually, sure as hell didnt take anything special to run it.

If you checked the statistics, you'd find that both Miller and Lincoln both sell more entry level mig welders in a week than either of the "Importers" sell in a year. When you consider the number of units they deliver, the "failure rate" is in the noise level.
    You must be referring to the crap machines they sell in lowes, home depot, and menards? oh, my lincoln180c is a piece of **** mexican machine..

So your buddy had problems with a Sync 350. Took him 1 1/2 weeks to get the machine back in service. Lets see, 1 1/2 weeks translates to about 7 working days. First day the unit was probably logged in. Second day diagnostics performed and parts ordered. Fourth day parts arrived. Fifth day parts were installed and checked out. Sixth day additional reliability tests conducted. Seventh day the machine was returned to the owner. Sounds pretty good to me.
    He owns a production fab shop, the particular machine that was broke was replacing a syncrowave 250 in a station tig welding a specific assembly, 100 assemblies a day at $20 each, can you figure out how much that cost him over 7 working days, or is that too many fingers and toes for you?

Demand a new machine. LMAO. When was the last time your car dealer gave you a new car because the one you bought had a bad control switch for the 4 wheel drive. (I had that issue on a new GMC Envoy).
    Evidently you didnt check the statistics of the Envoy before you bought it, refer to your first reply to me about checking statistics, your not the sharpest tack in the board my friend.

Like I said previously, your knowledge base and personality seem to fit better on the "Sponsored forums". The newbies over there don't know much either. You can be the smartest kid in the "slow section".
    Sundown,
    As I've said previously, you dont impress me, You disgust me.. Atleast I have a personality and a knowledge base, seems all you can do is try to ridicule people with your chin dribble..

Like I said, sorry you got your butt hurt.. read my signature ..

Well it was nice to see replies but damn Haha

If you know how to talk to miller you can get it fixed faster.
    If you bring me a brand new welder and ask nicely. Tell me you just bought it and it failed on power up. When this is told to Miller they will ship part next day air. best case is, checked in and tested by 10 AM parts ordered. Parts revived the next day and installed. welder picked up by 5 pm. Add a day or two for transportation. If you take it to a LWS and he has to ship it to the repair station, Make that one or two weeks for a repair. All depends on pick up and delivery service. may only come once a week.
    1 and 1/2 weeks is not bad but a little long for a new welder. Need to let the repair station know how new your machine is, and what your complaint is. It helps get it back faster.