welding respirators and hoods for 10 year olds
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

welding respirators and hoods for 10 year olds

Has anyone had his kid try on a Miller type welding respirator? The grandson is becoming interested in welding and building mechanical things. I'm wondering if Millers small respirator would fit a young person properly. Any opinions on welding hoods for young persons would also be appreciated. Thank You, tackit

Re: welding respirators and hoods for 10 year olds

My 8 year old has had a Huntsman fiber hood for at least 2 years now. He likes it. Not to heavy, will adjust to his head side. I don't require him to wear a respirator as I usually keep a fan on him if he's doing anything of concern.
    Last edited by hillbillyfab; 04-25-2017 at 08:00 PM.

I have both Miller and 3M respirators. I believe the Miller respirator fits my 10 year old better than the 3M. As far as hoods, he prefers my Miller Digital Elite, as it's rather light and adjusts small enough for his head.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Thanks guys, it's always nice to hear opinions from those that have dealt with a similar situation.

If you have trouble finding a respirator that fits well you could also go with a small fume extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by richardddt View Post
    If you have trouble finding a respirator that fits well you could also go with a small fume extractor.
    I've been looking at those for a while now, but we don't weld as much as we used to. If the grandson gets into welding hot and heavy, then it would be a very sensible addition to the shop.

Maybe you want to try MMM8515? I've seen it used by some professional steel fabricators when they bring kids over to work. Even some colleagues who work from home. It's not even that expensive.

You might try one of those 3M 6000 series masks the are selling on EBay and or Amazon. I can't swear that it will fit under a hood as I do my welding outside and use mine mainly for dust and such doing body work. At any rate they are dirt cheap and their attachment lends itself to on and off operations more than my other masks. They come in small medium and large and inexpensive replacement filters are easily available for around $7 / set last time I ordered and the mask complete was somewhere around $22,pretty hard to beat.
    You might take a look at one of those for your family's young welder. I think he could easily tolerate wearing one of these as they are so darned comfortable but I can't swear they will fit under a hood with anything other than the ultra flat n 100 flat pancake filters I use.

Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    You might try one of those 3M 6000 series masks....
    They come in small, medium, and large. Locally Home Depot & OSH stock only medium (one size fits many?) It may be worth searching out a small size to get a better fit for your 10 year old. Also, I really like the 7000 series better. Different mask material is both more comfortable & seals better for me and the exhaust port is angled down so it is less likely to fog a hood / face shield. I can confirm the Large 7xxx (*) mask with dust & organic nuisance pancake filters fits under both a welding hood and a Uvex Bionics grinding mask. The fit is snug and I've only tried it for fit, so can't say there wouldn't be a fogging, or other problem, in a long session.

(*) 7 is series, then mask size, then two digits for bundled filters I think. I actually bought 7503 from Amazon for me. My wife & adult daughter both have 6291, medium size mask, one from Amazon & one from the local OSH. They use them for stinky craft projects, e.g. spray paint, and have never worn them under a shield or hood.