Pretty cool concept for a trailer hitch insert
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Pretty cool concept for a trailer hitch insert

Interesting approach to an adjustable hitch insert.

I'm posting this for the purpose of generating ideas. Seems to me that if it also incorporated a means to alternate between 2" ball, 2-5/16" ball, and a pintle hook it could be the ultimate hitch insert.

I have one that is similar to this one, but it's not strong enough for most of my towing needs, and there is a lot of play in it as well.

Name:  hitch insert.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  22.1 KB

Most of my heavy towing is one of three gooseneck trailers, but I keep several hitch inserts in my F450 - a couple in each size with varying ball sizes and heights - for the variety of tag a long trailers we use here on the farm and so I always have something with me should the need arise.

Additionally I have a shelf in one of the farm welding shops with a half a dozen more inserts that are used with the other three trucks on the farm, along with the hitch insert that I made for a 3 point hitch attachment to the farm tractors.

One of the trailers has a weight distributing hitch so that's still another hitch insert.

It would be nice to get rid of most of the inserts and just get down to one that is strong enough for all of my towing needs.

Does anybody have something that they have built or seen that they would recommend?
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Re: Pretty cool concept for a trailer hitch insert

I use the convertible ball that has the little pin in it - similar to this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reese-Chrom...FU6ewAodZYUCOw
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I can't get into the idea of aluminum hitches. Otherwise, cool.
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275,Undercart cooler,Foot/Finger Amptrollers
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v
    Lincoln SP-200 MIG and Hi-Freq Tig
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101

Well, there's the template ..
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Good luck, I wish I could have just half a dozen tools for all my jobs, too.

This is one I like better than those with a threaded ball shaft for ruggedness.

http://www.hannarv.com/P/SAFHollandB...20000Lbs/25814
    The four bolt mount gives it height variability with an adjustable bar.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Pintle-Hitc...e/RP45294.html
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by tanglediver View Post
    Good luck, I wish I could have just half a dozen tools for all my jobs, too.

This is one I like better than those with a threaded ball shaft for ruggedness.

http://www.hannarv.com/P/SAFHollandB...20000Lbs/25814
    The four bolt mount gives it height variability with an adjustable bar.
    https://www.etrailer.com/Pintle-Hitc...e/RP45294.html
    That's a nice class 5 insert.
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

its definatly got a function. and looks lie a nice product.

but.
    when it comes to hitches i run the typical 3 ball for what ever size. BUT the best thing i've ever done was take a couple leaves out of my spring pack and put in a nice pair of air bags. now when iget to a job i lett all the air out anf she sits on the bumps, abosultly amazing when on a call out. and then back to ride height.

even better now that i've got it dialed in, i dump the air, back under a trailer coupler, and air the bags back up, all from the cab of the truck. fun stuff. and havent cranked a tongue jack in a long time. its the best single modification i have ever made to any truck i've driven.
    syncro 250
    tb325
    bobcat 225plus
    miller 252
    ln25
    ellis 1600
    pm65
    ppllc/candcnc table
    jd2
    ta95s
    south bend lathe
    cheap mill

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    its definatly got a function. and looks lie a nice product.

but.
    when it comes to hitches i run the typical 3 ball for what ever size. BUT the best thing i've ever done was take a couple leaves out of my spring pack and put in a nice pair of air bags. now when iget to a job i lett all the air out anf she sits on the bumps, abosultly amazing when on a call out. and then back to ride height.

even better now that i've got it dialed in, i dump the air, back under a trailer coupler, and air the bags back up, all from the cab of the truck. fun stuff. and havent cranked a tongue jack in a long time. its the best single modification i have ever made to any truck i've driven.
    That's a pretty smart approach.
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Quote Originally Posted by Joker11 View Post
    agree.

nice but too fancy for this simple man.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker11 View Post
    That's is my issue with them as well. I have had toe replace the steel parts in hitches because of wear, can't imagine dealing with it in aluminum.

Cost is as important to me as function. I can not see this hitch being very cost effective for what it does. That thing has to be a couple hundred bucks . It is a nice concept but really does not acomplish much. Most people have a couple trailers and have their hitch sorted out very quickly then purchase or in my case make what I need to tow it at the correct hight put it in my truck box and pull it out when needed. If I were a contractor towing other peoples trailers and never know what I will need then yes I could see an advantage with this hitch.

Their site shows a steel version too. Not much lower cost tho. Definitely has the cool factor going for it. It probably sells better with the crowd that leans towards the bling. Ya pay 3 grand for rims, the cost of something like this hitch wouldn't even cause an eye blink.

Heck in the woods I use the hitch to tell me where the bank is or the tree is. When it goes bonk in the bank you're far enough. $300.00 dollars of bling,, probably would have to think about that or an angled hit.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

I don't like the aluminum idea, either. At least, not with all those holes spaced so close together.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

I like the concept of that Rhino Ball mount. I currently use this style
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 467
Size:  160.3 KB
    I need quite a bit of drop to pull with a level tongue when using my utility trailer and F350 this ball mount covers 2" and 2 5/16" as well as up to 8" of drop in one package
    the only thing i dislike about it is i only need 6" drop, and when running up steeper driveways the mount will drag the ground.
    "We the willing, Lead by the unknowing, Are attempting to the impossible for the ungrateful"

-ESAB Rebel EMP 215
    -More tools than i can shake a stick at!