Hobart Handler 120 Gas Solenoid - How to test
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Question Hobart Handler 120 Gas Solenoid - How to test

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have a question on the gas solenoid in my Hobart Handler 120. I have had this machine about 16 years and never had any issues until yesterday. Yesterday, while I was welding the gas stopped flowing. I have gas in the bottle and there are no obstructions from the tygon hose that exits the solenoid to the end of the gun. Tested this by pulling the solenoid and bypassing it. So I am assuming the solenoid is bad, but was hoping there was a way to bench test the solenoid before I just start buying parts. The solenoid part number is 116996 (This is both a Miller and Hobart PN). I checked the resistance between the two connectors on the solenoid and with my OHM meter set at 2K, I came up with a reading of .205. Any ideas if this solenoid is bad based on this reading, or should I be looking elsewhere for the problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: Hobart Handler 120 Gas Solenoid - How to test

Test it right there in the welder. Connect the wires back up. figure out a way to connect you meter to the wires and the gas valve at the same time.
    Turn welder on and pull gun trigger. contactor should pull in and 120 volt AC should appear at the valve . no 120 volts and valve will not pull in.
    You will have to trace wires back to the contactor for anything loose or broken. Points in contactor may be burnt and not making contact.
    with gas connected and 120 volts applied. if it does not open, then valve is bad or blocked. If valve thumps, then you can try blowing air backwards through valve
    and sometimes you can blow out what is blocking the valve. Most of the time it is a piece of rubber for the hose that is staring to fall apart.
    Make sure you protect yourself from shock.

Re: Hobart Handler 120 Gas Solenoid - How to test

Thanks for the response. Tested it both in the machine and on the bench afterwards, solenoid is spent and a new one is on the way. Thanks for the assistance.