Required equipment for Invertec V350 tig setup
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Required equipment for Invertec V350 tig setup

Hey all,

I have a V350 Pro Factory model around the 2000 model year. Did they all come equipped with the gas solenoid for tig or is this something I need to buy? Lincoln says twist-mate models are able to pass the gas through the twist lock connection? Is that applicable to older inverter machines as well?

Aside from the flowmeter, foot pedal and torch, is there anything else needed to get set up for lift start tig?

Thanks for any insight.

Re: Required equipment for Invertec V350 tig setup

I don't have one of those but, check the machine for a gas inlet.

If it doesn't have one, you'll probably need a valve torch and just turn that on/off manually.
    (based on the picture description anyway)

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 10.53.07 AM.png
Views: 102
Size:  42.6 KB
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 05-17-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Thanks. Good point. The power supply definitely does not have a gas inlet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    Thanks. Good point. The power supply definitely does not have a gas inlet on it.
    I have a Invertec V250-S, was building a stainless steel smoker, got tired of the valved torch and wanted to have an adjustable postflow timer.

I put together a standalone unit triggered by a second micro switch added to the K-870 foot pedal. There are no connections to the internals of my welder. I'd be happy to share the details if you have an interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Airco 300
    Lincoln V250-S
    Miller 12VS
    Lincoln SP130T

I've often thought about doing one like that and including a contactor too. I'd be interested in seeing what you did.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Invertec, but aren't they DC only machines? If so I'd get a torch with a valve and get to welding. I'd prolly have to play around with that lift arc to get familiar with it.

Just get a torch with a gas valve and go to it. There's no hf start on these and they are dc only. The invertec v350 is one of the finest multiprocess power supplies on the market today. They are wonderful stick welders and wire welders with an external feeder. An LN25 makes a great feeder to run wire with the v350.
    The v350 is also very good at carbon arc air gouging.
    You can really do it all with one of these machines. Just no high frequency ac tig.

Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I've often thought about doing one like that and including a contactor too. I'd be interested in seeing what you did.
    I started off with a 12 volt gas solenoid that I got from a welder repair shop.

After reviewing the schematics of the welder I couldn't find a location to tap off of to get the voltage I needed so I used a 12 volt power source I've had for 30 years. I also didn't want to use the existing micro switch in the foot pedal and risk blowing something up in the welder so I opened up the fit pedal and bolted a second microswitch on the opposite side of the factory switch.

I picked up some repurposed Anti 2 Block coaxial cable from a Grove crane and fed that in through the strain relief on the foot pedal and wired it up to the new switch. I used a bunch of heat shrink tubing and fastened the small cable to the length of the foot pedal cable.

I issued an Uxcell 4 pin aviation connector at the connection to the solenoid so I could disconnect the foot pedal completely.

I ordered a countdown timer in the .3-30 second range and a 11 pin Octal base to mount it on. I mounted these on one side of a piece of scrap aluminum and the gas solenoid on the other side then zip tied it to the carrying handle on the welder.

I was overly worried about backfeeding anything into the welder, so I fed positive and ground into a DPDT relay that I had laying around which then in turn feed the countdown relay.

Airco 300
    Lincoln V250-S
    Miller 12VS
    Lincoln SP130T

Quote Originally Posted by p_sneadly View Post
    I started off with a 12 volt gas solenoid that I got from a welder repair shop.

After reviewing the schematics of the welder I couldn't find a location to tap off of to get the voltage I needed so I used a 12 volt power source I've had for 30 years. I also didn't want to use the existing micro switch in the foot pedal and risk blowing something up in the welder so I opened up the fit pedal and bolted a second microswitch on the opposite side of the factory switch.

I picked up some repurposed Anti 2 Block coaxial cable from a Grove crane and fed that in through the strain relief on the foot pedal and wired it up to the new switch. I used a bunch of heat shrink tubing and fastened the small cable to the length of the foot pedal cable.

I issued an Uxcell 4 pin aviation connector at the connection to the solenoid so I could disconnect the foot pedal completely.

I ordered a countdown timer in the .3-30 second range and a 11 pin Octal base to mount it on. I mounted these on one side of a piece of scrap aluminum and the gas solenoid on the other side then zip tied it to the carrying handle on the welder.

I was overly worried about backfeeding anything into the welder, so I fed positive and ground into a DPDT relay that I had laying around which then in turn feed the countdown relay.

Airco 300
    Lincoln V250-S
    Miller 12VS
    Lincoln SP130T

Looks like I need to be smarter than the phone I'm using. Didn't intend to attach the same pic three times. It wasn't that interesting!

Airco 300
    Lincoln V250-S
    Miller 12VS
    Lincoln SP130T

Looks like I need to be smarter than the phone I'm using. Didn't intend to attach the same pic three times. It wasn't that interesting!

Continuing, here is the gas solenoid mounted on the plate zip tied to the welder.

Airco 300
    Lincoln V250-S
    Miller 12VS
    Lincoln SP130T

Continuing, here is the gas solenoid mounted on the plate zip tied to the welder.

Here's the parts list.

Uxcell 250v 7A 16mm 4 pin connector. $5.98 Amazon

12DP.3-30SDCR10-AMPT Time Delay Relay $88.02 Galco Industrial Electronics

Uxcell Relay Socket PF113A-11 pin octal base for JQX-10F 32. Amazon $5.55

Philmore Miniature Action Switch 30-2060. Frys.com. $2.69

I have to resize the last picture it's currently too large to attach.

Airco 300
    Lincoln V250-S
    Miller 12VS
    Lincoln SP130T

I have a Invertec V250-S, was building a stainless steel smoker, got tired of the valved torch and wanted to have an adjustable postflow timer.

I put together a standalone unit triggered by a second micro switch added to the K-870 foot pedal. There are no connections to the internals of my welder. I'd be happy to share the details if you have an interest.

Name:  IMG_5149.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  85.6 KB

Here's the business end of it. I relocated the gas solenoid this morning.

I found that when the magnetic field collapsed in the gas solenoid it would re-energize the delay timer and never shut the gas off. I added a small pilot light in parallel to gas solenoid circuit and that took care of the issue.

It wasn't cheap but what in this hobby is?

Airco 300
    Lincoln V250-S
    Miller 12VS
    Lincoln SP130T

Very cool, thanks for sharing that. I will probably start with a manual gas valve but I really like your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyfab View Post
    I'm not terribly familiar with the Invertec, but aren't they DC only machines? If so I'd get a torch with a valve and get to welding. I'd prolly have to play around with that lift arc to get familiar with it.

Yes DC only. I have not tried lift arc, only HF start a bit. It will be nice to have the foot pedal to turn off the arc rather than breaking the arc and going back in for post flow.