Fire Extiguishers on a Truck (Mobile Discussion)
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Fire Extiguishers on a Truck (Mobile Discussion)

I'm interested in moving my extinguishers to areas of my truck that are a little easier to access. Haven't had a fire problem and no reason to expect one, but we're all literally playing with fire for large parts of our lives. Right now my extinguishers are in the cabs of my trucks out of theft concerns. The other thing is limiting exposure to the elements. I've seen trucks with them just clamped to external surfaces, but something like that wouldn't last in my town. I'd like to get a couple of 5 lb'ers out, one toward the rear of each side of each truck. I've got probably 3 or 4 that need to be refilled, and am interested in doing something different with them than stuffing them behind the seat or in the little saddle clamps in the cab.

What do you do, or what have you seen that you like? Not sure I've ever seen a combination of good access, somewhat hard to steal, and mostly protected from the elements.

Pictures welcome in here.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

Re: Fire Extiguishers on a Truck (Mobile Discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    I'm interested in moving my extinguishers to areas of my truck that are a little easier to access. Haven't had a fire problem and no reason to expect one, but we're all literally playing with fire for large parts of our lives. Right now my extinguishers are in the cabs of my trucks out of theft concerns. The other thing is limiting exposure to the elements. I've seen trucks with them just clamped to external surfaces, but something like that wouldn't last in my town. I'd like to get a couple of 5 lb'ers out, one toward the rear of each side of each truck. I've got probably 3 or 4 that need to be refilled, and am interested in doing something different with them than stuffing them behind the seat or in the little saddle clamps in the cab.

What do you do, or what have you seen that you like? Not sure I've ever seen a combination of good access, somewhat hard to steal, and mostly protected from the elements.

Pictures welcome in here.
    Joe, when doing work on site we are required to have two 10 lbs (or larger) ABC class fire extinguishers at hand as well as a fire blanket. I don't know if you have any regulations like that. We have them on a little hand truck so it's easy to wheel them around. So on a truck I wouldn't bother with anything less than two 10 lbs.

I think I would put them in their own locked cabinet with red stickers. Unlock at at work site, lock when leaving. Keep a small one in the cab (for the truck itself).
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 05-18-2017 at 05:19 AM.

external ones we just cover in plastic bags. They make special bags that last ok in the sun and have the fire extinguisher markings on them.

Our mobile equipment I just weld some bars across the bottom of a piece of pipe that the extinguisher will drop in granted I don't worry about theft but would assume you could make a locking hinged cover
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by jackdawg View Post
    external ones we just cover in plastic bags. They make special bags that last ok in the sun and have the fire extinguisher markings on them.
    I see those at gas stations here.

You want Coast Guard approved mounting brackets. Expect to buy them separate from the extinguishers. I wouldn't bother with less than 10#.

Thanks for the info so far. I've got a couple of 20's and a bunch of 5's, but no 10's. Some sites I'm on require the 20's, but they don't normally stay on the trucks. I can take some measurements off some 10's and see how they'd fit ... mainly thinking about the F350 because space is at a premium on it.

tbone550

If you ever have 'a real fire' - you can't have too much extinguisher.

Two - readily available 10's is the bare minimum . . .

Opus

I have 1 twenty lb and it sits in the cabinet with my oxy/acet tanks. Just sits on the floor with a plastic cover over it. I can grab it quick if I need it and I can set it out of the way quick when I need to change out my tanks.

We keep 20 lb'rs around to keep the insurance company happy, but I hope you never have to use one. There's one on the combine, grain truck, most of the tractors and one in the shop , all fully approved and charged. Our neighbor had a dash fire in his newer diesel dually Dodge pickup and we emptied a 20 lb.'r behind the dash... it burned to the ground anyway. If you seriously want to put a fire out, you will need multiple 20's... forget the smaller ones. Might as well keep a 6 pack on board so you could down it and piss on the fire.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

This is mainly for a 2 ton chassis that can stand the weight , but the truck I'm putting together will have a 55 gal water tank and a small spot sprayer pump plumb thru a 1/4" dedicated hose reel with just a ball valve on the end . I can soak down something pretty good with this i believe if needed , but also the reason for all of this is i want to keep a decent amout of water with me to spray out a radiator or 2 with my small electric pressure washer and I'm going to mount a small sink to the inside of one of my tool bin doors to wash my hands in the middle of nowhere. I'm tired of smelling diesel fuel and driving home with a sticky steering wheel when i run out of paper towels on the job . For a small truck i would look at the refillable fire extinguishers that hold water and charge with air .
    Just throwing ideas at you ...

What about fire extinguishers in your HOUSE?

I have a Halon extinguisher right next to the bed.
    Can grab it in total darkness.

What could be worse than trying to find it in a emergency in the middle of the night?

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Quote Originally Posted by dosswelding View Post
    This is mainly for a 2 ton chassis that can stand the weight , but the truck I'm putting together will have a 55 gal water tank and a small spot sprayer...
    Yes, that's similar to what I plan to make for the International, except that I'm going to carry a pressure washer with me which should gravity feed off the tank. I'm tired of ending up on field jobs where a part should be cleaned but there's not hardly any way to accomplish it. Or wetting down the surrounding area.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    Yes, that's similar to what I plan to make for the International, except that I'm going to carry a pressure washer with me which should gravity feed off the tank. I'm tired of ending up on field jobs where a part should be cleaned but there's not hardly any way to accomplish it. Or wetting down the surrounding area.
    Although i used what was laying around at the tiime , i have had problems with gravity feeding a pressure washer from a tank , even tho the tank was in the back of the truck and the pressure washer was on the ground. The garden hose was only about 6' long between the two and it would still growl at me from lack of water . To finish the job i crammed the air hose in the vent for the tank and force fed it with the lid loose to control the air. After that i bought a sump pump and just dropped it in the tote to feed the pressure washer . Since I'm running the welder anyhow with the electric pressure washer plugging in a sump pump is no big deal .

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    What about fire extinguishers in your HOUSE?

I have a Halon extinguisher right next to the bed.
    Can grab it in total darkness.

What could be worse than trying to find it in a emergency in the middle of the night?

...zap!
    I woke up to a house fire about 10 years ago. Not fun.
    Ran down to the truck and got the 2nd extinguisher, still didn't stop it.
    They were smallish disposable ones.
    Fortunately, my kids were at their mothers.
    For several years after, I smelled smoke every time I laid down to sleep.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I couldn't imagine having to deal with or live thru a fire in my home . Thats ranks high on my list of things i would wish on no one to have to go thru !
    In my earlier post i got off on a water kick , but in reality a person needs to consider what fires they will potentially be fighting , ie: if you dowse an electrical or chemical fire with water you might have just signed your own death warrant when you electrocute yourself or the fire spreads around you riding on top of the water (alot of flammable things float on water).

Quote Originally Posted by dosswelding View Post
    In my earlier post i got off on a water kick , but in reality a person needs to consider what fires they will potentially be fighting , ie: if you dowse an electrical or chemical fire with water you might have just signed your own death warrant when you electrocute yourself or the fire spreads around you riding on top of the water (alot of flammable things float on water).
    I think water is good to have on a truck as a preventative for grass and such.
    I've started a grass fire with a cutting torch before, but was able to put it out pretty quick - spring time so it was kind of damp still.

But overall, I think your assessment of needing a regular ABC fire extinguisher is right on.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I woke up to a house fire about 10 years ago. Not fun.
    Ran down to the truck and got the 2nd extinguisher, still didn't stop it.
    They were smallish disposable ones.
    Fortunately, my kids were at their mothers.
    For several years after, I smelled smoke every time I laid down to sleep.
    What started it ?

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    What started it ?
    It looked like liquid melted burning creosote came out of the chimney clean-out door and started the basement on fire.
    I normally cleaned the chimney every first of the month, but this pine must not have burned well.
    My brother was burning the same stuff and went out and cleaned his after it happened - he said it was a flip of the coin that mine burned first.

10 years later I've now switched to an outdoor wood "boiler" and heat the shop too.
    It was wood heated as well, and it sucked keeping 2 fires going when needed.
    Dave J.

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

10lb'er and a good flashlight at the top of the stairs to fight your way to an exit.
    20lb'er at the entrance door to fight your way in to get the guns out!
    Shop has extinguishers at the Exits.
    When on a job we usually have a 20lb CO2 close by to minimize mess, then a 20lb ABC if necessary.