Fabricating a dual burner plow disc grill - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Fabricating a dual burner plow disc grill

You'll have some problems if it's windy. It's best if the wind cover goes all around the burner. The burner sucks in air from the end so it makes no difference for the burner.

I still have a little trouble with mine occasionally when it's windy and I have my burner covered from all sides.

Since you sandblasted it, it makes no sense to polish it. High temp paint. I used silver on the inside of mine where I wanted the heat to reflect (wind cover) and the rest is classic black.

PS. I'd also add a small flame cover close to where you stand (opposite to wind cover. I don't know how powerful your burners are but on mine the flames will lick the underside of the "pan". But perhaps you mounted the burners and tried cooking on it before sandblasting it?
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 05-25-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.S. View Post
    You'll have some problems if it's windy. It's best if the wind cover goes all around the burner. The burner sucks in air from the end so it makes no difference for the burner.

I still have a little trouble with mine occasionally when it's windy and I have my burner covered from all sides.

Since you sandblasted it, it makes no sense to polish it. High temp paint. I used silver on the inside of mine where I wanted the heat to reflect (wind cover) and the rest is classic black.

PS. I'd also add a small flame cover close to where you stand (opposite to wind cover. I don't know how powerful your burners are but on mine the flames will lick the underside of the "pan". But perhaps you mounted the burners and tried cooking on it before sandblasting it?
    I will be adding some kind if wind screen/door to the front of the grill at some point - that will screen the rest of the burner. I'm also thinking painting is the way to go - considering hammered copper for the tank shield, bottle opener, hooks and paper towel holder (not shown in these pics) and gloss silver grill paint for the rest of it. I'm not great with colors, but this seems like it would work, and it's AZ colors too! 😀. I have to noodle it over a bit.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Lincoln 210MP
    Makita LC1230

Beautiful grill setup!! Why polish it after sandblasting?...lot of extra work. Just prime it an paint it. It will look great!

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Beautiful grill setup!! Why polish it after sandblasting?...lot of extra work. Just prime it an paint it. It will look great!
    Thanks! I'm new to metal work, and I was originally thinking that an all steel look would be cool - I had never had anything sandblasted before, so I didn't know the surface would come out like this (even after asking several experienced metal workers - I must not have phrased my question correctly). Anyway, my family was telling me from the start that painting would look better, so I guess I'm going that route!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Lincoln 210MP
    Makita LC1230

Man, I can already smell the bacon & eggs or fajitas cookin' on that thing....wahoo!!

A harrowing experience!

Now you need a copy of y favorite cookbook: 101 ways to wok your dog.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.