Fabricating a dual burner plow disc grill
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fabricating a dual burner plow disc grill

Had a lot of fun with this project! My son and I got to do a bunch of welding together, and my wife and daughter contributed to the design as well. This started with a couple of old, beat up plow discs that I got for $9 each and it took off from there. We bought, de-greased and cut the steel, rolled and plasma cut the sheet metal, rolled the rings and welded it all together. We asked Bronze Bow (a local small biz in Phoenix)to make the butcher block for the center, and I bought the casters at Arizona Casters and the lockable shelf hinges at Rockler. I'll install a propane regulator and splitter to feed the burners (purchased from Bayou Classic online). I have a few cosmetic touch ups to do, and I will probably add hooks to hang cooking utensils from, and then it will be off the sandblasting to remove the mill scale. I will clear coat it with Eastwood Exo Armor (which my brother found for me after I was having trouble finding a non-glossy, high temp, uv stable clear coat that could be applied without the need to bake it on- go figure ). All in all lots of work, fun, and I learned a whole lot!

I created a google link to show the pics since the pic files were too large to upload here. Here it is:

https://goo.gl/photos/BWesDijP8gm5qrhZA

Re: Fabricating a dual burner plow disc grill

That's a lot of work just so you can tell everyone they are plow discs...

Looks great....
    I guess it's a Wok of sorts?

Name:  IMG_20170307_175555769.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  101.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170517_130730629.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  66.7 KB
    Miller 211/Spoolmate 100
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Lincoln SP125 plus
    HTP 221
    Chicom spot welder

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Looks nice. How about some food pics aswell?

nice work, lot of thought went in to the build. burners look a little large!
    DIY CNC Plasma table & CandCNC DTHC-IV MP 3100 Feather Touch option
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PT 256 EX Tig
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Looks great man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, except they are about 8mm thick and shallower. You can cook just about anything on them - they heat up quick, you have multiple heat zones (hotter towards the center), etc. We love cooking on these. 😀

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Lincoln 210MP
    Makita LC1230

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    That's a lot of work just so you can tell everyone they are plow discs...

Looks great....
    I guess it's a Wok of sorts?

Name:  IMG_20170307_175555769.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  101.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170517_130730629.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  66.7 KB
    I was a lot of work! After seeing someone cook on one of these at a tailgate, I did some research on these. The history here is that migrant workers and poor farmers used to take discarded plow discs and turn them into grills - they are called discadas, cowboy woks, and plow disc grills. You can find a ton of recipes on the web. I thought it looked like a fun project, so I found a couple of old discs and went to town!

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Looks nice. How about some food pics aswell?
    I'll post them as soon as I get this thing operational - should be a week or so! In the mean time google plow disc grill, cowboy wok, or discada recipes and you can see what people cook with them.

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    nice work, lot of thought went in to the build. burners look a little large!
    Thanks! I had a basic design in my mind and we sort of added to it as I went. The best thing about this was that I had to learn how to do a bunch of different welds while in different positions. I have one semester of welding class under my belt - this was alot different than a classroom setting!
    I went back and forth on the how big the burners should be and finally bought these 5 inchers. They are the same size as the ones I saw a guy cooking over at a tailgate. I also tried to duplicate the distance between the burner and the bottom of the cooking disc.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry1700 View Post
    Looks great man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I think it turned out nice, although my welds were mixed. Some were like the pictures I see in books, others were more like what the birds leave on the roof of my car! I found it particularly hard to weld sheet metal and the 3/8 inch rod - they just seem to melt away from the torch!

You can always turn down an oversize burner, but you can't get more out of one that's too small.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    You can always turn down an oversize burner, but you can't get more out of one that's too small.
    That's where I landed!

[QUOTE=drussell2337;8505571]That's where I landed! [/QUOTE

It really looks good. I have a friend that built one using a single 36" disc blade that's 3/8" thick. he uses a turkey fryer burner and can do a dozen burgers at a time.

[QUOTE=12V71;8505591]
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell2337 View Post
    That's where I landed! [/QUOTE

It really looks good. I have a friend that built one using a single 36" disc blade that's 3/8" thick. he uses a turkey fryer burner and can do a dozen burgers at a time.
    Wow - that's a big one!! These are 21 inches across - I was told they were 28" brand new and they throw them away when they hit 21-22 inches. Didn't know they came that big. These are about 8mm thick and they are a steel-boron alloy, from what I can tell.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Lincoln 210MP
    Makita LC1230

Thinkin out loud....

would it be beneficiary to drill a hole in the bottom of the disc/slightly off center then weld a steel drain tube ..?

that way you could push off and get rid of any excess grease when cookin
    Miller 211/Spoolmate 100
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Lincoln SP125 plus
    HTP 221
    Chicom spot welder

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Nice build thanks for sharing.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Thinkin out loud....

would it be beneficiary to drill a hole in the bottom of the disc/slightly off center then weld a steel drain tube ..?

that way you could push off and get rid of any excess grease when cookin
    Huh - hadn't thought of that. for some recipes you want the grease in the pan - right now I use one of those steel turkey basters to suction out any excess grease or fluids as I cook - that's an interesting idea - I'll mull it over. Thanks!

Now you just need to add some 2" receiver tubing to it, so you can mount a vise or two to it. They might come in handy to hold a piece of meat you need to slice, or something.

I see there are discs then plow discs and both with all different convex shapes. All the ones I've ever been able to get my hands on (for free) have been pretty dern shallow. Something deeper like you have would be nice. Maybe one each I guess.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Now you just need to add some 2" receiver tubing to it, so you can mount a vise or two to it. They might come in handy to hold a piece of meat you need to slice, or something.
    I could tie the livestock to it - I like REALLY fresh meat!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I see there are discs then plow discs and both with all different convex shapes. All the ones I've ever been able to get my hands on (for free) have been pretty dern shallow. Something deeper like you have would be nice. Maybe one each I guess.
    There are a bunch of different style plow discs - some have a flat surface in the center, some are just concave, and some have notched edges that can be square or rounded. I got a couple of each of them - made cooking discs for my friends from them except for the notched ones, which my wife wants to use for some kind of TBD decoration. They are all shallower than a wok, but they're easy to cook on.

Very cool, looks like a fun project
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Nice!
    RGL Motorsports #129
    RL Ironworks - Random side stuff....

Ok - would appreciate advice on my next steps here - I just got the grill back from sandblasting. I'm thinking I have two options - I can polish it to a shiny steel finish and clear coat it, or I can paint it and put a protective clear coat over the paint. If I choose to try and polish it to a shiny steel look, what is the best tool for that - would a wire brush do it, do I need a polishing wheel for the angle grinder, are there other options? If I paint it, I assume I clean the surface, then prime and paint it with grill paint?
    Last question - there appears to be oil or grease weeping out of some of my welds - I've attached a pic. Is this normal? Do I just clean it off with a degreaser and proceed, or is there something else I need to do to stop this from recurring? Any advice would be appreciated! Name:  after sandblasting 1.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  68.4 KBName:  after sandblasting 2.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  46.1 KB
    Lincoln 210MP
    Makita LC1230

You would wanna pay a crack head a hundo to polish it. Take it to powder coat