Klutch 220Si Users Thread - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Klutch 220Si Users Thread

I am thinking of adding a second air solenoid just for the spool gun. Anyone know the specs for the female quick disconnect that is compatible with the spool gun gas lead?

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Look at the Liner end, and see if it's stopping the gun from going in all the way? Is the gun lock screw fitting into the gun pin as it should? n ot much room for error, or low gas flow happens..Does the spool gun flow Normal when plugged into the fitting?
    Forgot to answer your spool gun question.
    Yes, the flow seems to be good with the spool gun. Although the weld quality is still to be tuned in. I was welding 1/8" AL with .030 wire. I was using a wire feed speed of 8 and voltage of 3 with a gas flow of 30 CFH. A bit out of range compared to the chart. Can you or anyone else share their settings? I had to set the feed roller pressure at max even though the wire roll tension was very light, otherwise the wire would slip (it was a full roll of wire). I noticed there is a groove cut on the top and bottom of the feed roller. Does anyone know if they are cut the same? I assume so since there are no markings on the roller.

I ran .035 4043 wire ,and it was excellent overall. should have plenty of WFS for .035 5356 too..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I ran .035 4043 wire ,and it was excellent overall. should have plenty of WFS for .035 5356 too..
    What were your settings for 0.035 4043?
    What thickness aluminum were you welding?
    My settings on 0.030" are just way off the charts (literally).

Don't remember the settings, just winged it like usual..Just know it had a real nice arc to it..
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Anyone try one of these eBay spool guns? This has gear drive and looks like decent quality - plus a 16 foot cable.
    EBay URL below.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toothed-Roll...1%26rkt%3D1%26
    Name:  Spool gun.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  110.8 KBName:  Gear drive 1.jpg
Size:  109.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WeldMore View Post
    Anyone try one of these eBay spool guns? This has gear drive and looks like decent quality - plus a 16 foot cable.
    EBay URL below.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toothed-Roll...1%26rkt%3D1%26
    Name:  Spool gun.jpg
Size:  110.8 KBName:  Gear drive 1.jpg
Size:  109.6 KB
    I have one of those setup for my Thermal Arc 181. Works pretty well. The only downside is that you need to spool your own wire as it doesn't take normal spools. I bought a second spool so I could always have a spare.

Did a write up here......

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?641511
    Last edited by rahtreelimbs; 06-18-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Can you modify the spool gun to accept regular 4" spools?
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Can you modify the spool gun to accept regular 4" spools?
    You might be able to......I will have to look and see.

Thanks rahtreelimbs
    Nice write-up. Looks like it is definitely worth considering.

Since the site was down when I ran into my conundrum, I originally posted a "help me" thread over at another welding forum site, so if this story sounds familiar, its probably only your imagination . Anyway, when I first bought my Klutch 220SI welder about a year and a half ago, I was essentially switching from my old Cebora Pocket Turbo Mig, which wasn't welding very well, and had been running FC wire in that welder (which wasn't designed for it, you can't easily swap the polarity) but I was desperate since it did well pretty well when I first bought it new and seemed to not weld very well after sitting for the few years when I moved out from my parents and finally got a house where I could keep the welder (I was in HS when I originally bought the welder) and have been struggling with it for years (I suspect some parts may have corroded since it was stored in unheated garages and sheds and while it was kept out of the weather, it is likely that condensation formed inside it and corroded it). So, when I set up the Klutch I just pulled the FC out of the Cebora and dropped it into the Klutch and ran some practice welds over the time, haven't had a chance to do any real welding in that time. The wire was 0.030" and ran with no issues. Then it came up that I really wanted to cross off getting/making a hitch receiver for my John Deere x748 (a small 4wd, diesel tractor), so I started welding it up and ran out of the small spool of FC, had some small spools of 0.023" mig wire and still have an unknown amount of Argon/CO2 gas left, so I switched the Klutch over to Mig welding, only problem is that the drive roller I was using had both grooves being too deep to use the 0023" wire as I could literally push the wire through the feed mechanism with the tension knob bottomed out. Looked through the manual, didn't see in the list of included items any mention of a second roller, so I asked the question on that other forum if I was supposed to get a second roller or I assumed the wrong roller was included with the welder. I received an answer that a second roller was supposed to be included, so I contacted NT and they confirmed that there was supposed to be a second roller and they sent it out promptly. I received it last weekend. Pretty good customer service, they did not request a photo of the included roller (which I took prior to contacting them, just in case). As I mentioned in that other thread, it could be that I misplaced the second roller that was included with the welder, but I had looked where I had kept the manual, the spool gun (which I have yet to test out), the gas regulator and gas tubing, and did not find the roller. I might have put it someplace else, but I doubt it because I could not remember seeing a second roller come with the welder, usually something like that makes an impression on me. Also, while I am not 100% anal about things like that, seeing a second roller would usually have triggered a desire to keep such a spare part with the tool and placing it in the wire feed area of the welder would likely have been my first choice. There appears to be room enough inside that area that I can put a rare earth magnet to hold the drive roller that is not being used inside the wire feed area so that it will be with the welder, should I need it to keep it from getting lost, plus it would make it easy to switch out rollers as my next thought would be wire ties, but then I'd have to cut the tie keeping the one roller and find another to tie up the roller that's being changed out, a magnet solves the "use once" and "also use with the other roller" issues that wire ties would not.

Oh, I finished the hitch receiver after running out to the store and buying a roll of 0.030" wire. The receiver worked well, I am getting a new shed and because of all the rain, I was not able to rent a truck to bring gravel back to the area I am putting the shed, my yard is famous for swallowing vehicles after a rain, so I had 3 pallets of bagged gravel dropped off in my driveway and loaded approx. 1000# at a time (1/3 of a pallet) into my trailer and towed it using my tractor back to the area. I could have gotten away with bolting a hitch ball directly to the frame of my tractor, there is a hole drilled for that purpose, but I want to get one of those inexpensive (read: HF) hitch receiver racks to put buckets and other things on when I'm out doing yard work and perhaps use it to add rear weights, etc., so it lends flexibility and does not appear to interfere with the bagger I have for the tractor.

"Glamor Shot", though I still need to sandblast and paint it.

Name:  IMG_1034.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  91.7 KB

Edit to add: The hitch receiver is bolted to the tractor frame via two 3/4" bolts welded to the plate below the hitch receiver tube (which you can't see), the HF receiver tube that I used is "sitting" on top of the bolt heads, then welded to the plates on top (as you can see) and on the sides, the plates form a U shape around the HF receiver tube. The plates were just standard 3/16" by 3" plate from Lowes. My only real tool for cutting the plate is a handheld bandsaw without a stand of any kind, because of that I wanted to minimize cutting, otherwise I would have cut the side plates so that they came 1/2 way up the receiver tube instead of being even with the top as they are.
    Last edited by pprobus; 03-07-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added info.

I just bought one of these Saturday. I’ve had one of the Northerntool 135 welders for probably 8 years and it has never given me any trouble.

Looking forward to trying to weld some aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up this unit on clearance. In the spirit of "AvE" and others on Youtube, I had to take it apart before I even turned it on. In the process I discovered I could add seven-segment displays like the Eastwood MP200i:

Name:  IMG_20180514_224115855_LL.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  61.1 KBName:  IMG_20180514_224152356_LL.jpg
Size:  74.4 KBName:  mp200i.jpg
Size:  89.0 KB

Look familiar?

Please share more on this modification. I was wondering if the guts were close enough to those inside the HF's Vulcan 220 multi-process welder that the provision for the foot pedal could be added for Tig, but this is almost as good.

All of the circuitry is there for the displays, they just need to be soldered in place. (easier said than done). The displays are 7-segment, 3-digit, 0.56", common cathode LEDs. If you are familiar with PCB level replacement of thru-hole components, then it's cake. Otherwise I would recommend against it, you may end up damaging traces.

I was hoping that the first display that gives amps in tig/stick mode would show wire feed speed while in mig, but no go. The Eastwood doesn't do that either; would probably involve some type of rotary encoder and additional circuitry.

What's ironic is that I haven't welded anything with this machine (or ever). After watching ChuckE2009 and Jody during surgical recovery I was hooked. That and the fact that my brother has Ar and Ar/O2 tanks he will loan to me indefinitely helps with costs. My goal is to develop skills with aluminum and stainless, AND have a climate controlled garage The weather in WI kinda sucks; we get about 10 days/yr of nice spattered between the snow and mosquitoes.