Klutch 220Si Users Thread - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Klutch 220Si Users Thread

I am thinking of adding a second air solenoid just for the spool gun. Anyone know the specs for the female quick disconnect that is compatible with the spool gun gas lead?

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Look at the Liner end, and see if it's stopping the gun from going in all the way? Is the gun lock screw fitting into the gun pin as it should? n ot much room for error, or low gas flow happens..Does the spool gun flow Normal when plugged into the fitting?
    Forgot to answer your spool gun question.
    Yes, the flow seems to be good with the spool gun. Although the weld quality is still to be tuned in. I was welding 1/8" AL with .030 wire. I was using a wire feed speed of 8 and voltage of 3 with a gas flow of 30 CFH. A bit out of range compared to the chart. Can you or anyone else share their settings? I had to set the feed roller pressure at max even though the wire roll tension was very light, otherwise the wire would slip (it was a full roll of wire). I noticed there is a groove cut on the top and bottom of the feed roller. Does anyone know if they are cut the same? I assume so since there are no markings on the roller.

I ran .035 4043 wire ,and it was excellent overall. should have plenty of WFS for .035 5356 too..
    Esab 2200i-TA34 Sweden
    Esab C-160i Poland
    Hypertherm 45XP US
    Lincoln LF-72/LN-25 pro feeders US
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Japan
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s Japan
    Thermal 38XL US

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!:

I ran .035 4043 wire ,and it was excellent overall. should have plenty of WFS for .035 5356 too..
    What were your settings for 0.035 4043?
    What thickness aluminum were you welding?
    My settings on 0.030" are just way off the charts (literally).

Don't remember the settings, just winged it like usual..Just know it had a real nice arc to it..
    Esab 2200i-TA34 Sweden
    Esab C-160i Poland
    Hypertherm 45XP US
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Japan
    Thermal 38XL US

Anyone try one of these eBay spool guns? This has gear drive and looks like decent quality - plus a 16 foot cable.
    EBay URL below.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toothed-Roll...1%26rkt%3D1%26
    Name:  Spool gun.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  110.8 KBName:  Gear drive 1.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  109.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WeldMore View Post
    Anyone try one of these eBay spool guns? This has gear drive and looks like decent quality - plus a 16 foot cable.
    EBay URL below.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toothed-Roll...1%26rkt%3D1%26
    Name:  Spool gun.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  110.8 KBName:  Gear drive 1.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  109.6 KB
    I have one of those setup for my Thermal Arc 181. Works pretty well. The only downside is that you need to spool your own wire as it doesn't take normal spools. I bought a second spool so I could always have a spare.

Did a write up here......

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?641511
    Last edited by rahtreelimbs; 06-18-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Can you modify the spool gun to accept regular 4" spools?
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Can you modify the spool gun to accept regular 4" spools?
    You might be able to......I will have to look and see.

Thanks rahtreelimbs
    Nice write-up. Looks like it is definitely worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs View Post
    I have one of those setup for my Thermal Arc 181. Works pretty well. The only downside is that you need to spool your own wire as it doesn't take normal spools. I bought a second spool so I could always have a spare.

Did a write up here......

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?641511
    What setup do you use to wind wire onto the smaller spool? I was thinking of doing that anyway to save money (buy 8" spool and downwind to 4").

Quote Originally Posted by WeldMore View Post
    What setup do you use to wind wire onto the smaller spool? I was thinking of doing that anyway to save money (buy 8" spool and downwind to 4").
    Nothing more than a long screw and nut through the small spool ran with a cordless drill (the one that comes with the spool gun) and some means holding the larger spool. I use a Phillips head screw driver in a vice. On a larger 11 lb. spool you will need a spacer of sorts because of the larger hole. You need to keep a slight amount of tension on the wire as it feeds on the new spool.

I know people rewind larger spools down to smaller spools and it may work. It was explained to me by a ESAB Manufacturing manager that the wires are spooled out of the machine and onto the spools a specific way according to the size of the spools. It has something to do with how the wires unwind off the spool into the liner and out the tip. Basically it changes the way the wire feeds when you respool it smaller and what ends up happening is the wire wonders or does not feed straight from the tip making it difficult to keep the wire on the leading edge of the puddle or where ever you may wish to put it. Aluminum wire my be different but you will have to be more careful with aluminum wires not to stretch or bend the wire. Steel wires are manufactured to unspring / unspool off the spools a specific way. Have you ever had a spool start to unspring and unspool on you. When you respool it down in size you change the way the wire is sprung and how it will unspring / unspool. Take it for what it is worth. I have not tried to respool any wires yet. I was talked out of it. Your mileage may very.

I am interested in knowing the trick if it is being done and working with out any hick ups.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 06-24-2017 at 02:44 PM.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    Victor Performer O/A
    Lincoln Viking 4C 3350

Sorry to revive a fairly old thread but I’m in search for .045 knurled drive rollers that fit the klutch 220si multiprocess, if they even exist. It’s possible I’ll have to have them custom machined if not.
    Thank you
    Hunter

Here is the size of drive roll specs..(Bought this one,and it fits) Just to give you someplace to look. I am guessing the same size of a Thermal-arc 211i if you remove the shim from the Klutch Dive motor shaft.. I think Jim tried out his 211i roller on his klutch.. (I believe)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-8-1-0-V-G...item2a62998ecd

Find a Esab Rebel, and thermal-arc 181/211i roller, and match it up.. I don't have one to try on my Klutch. Maybe Jim will chime in..

Keeps you from reinventing the wheel or Roller..

https://store.cyberweld.com/tharcdrrovkn1.html
    Last edited by Brand X; 10-25-2017 at 01:31 AM.
    Esab 2200i-TA34 Sweden
    Esab C-160i Poland
    Hypertherm 45XP US
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Japan
    Thermal 38XL US

I’ll look into the rollers at my LWS tomorrow, I’ve got to pick up some 030 bare wire anyway. Have you tried running any dualshield with the klutch welders? I’ve been trying with some 045 Lincoln outershield but having serious porosity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBack View Post
    I’ll look into the rollers at my LWS tomorrow, I’ve got to pick up some 030 bare wire anyway. Have you tried running any dualshield with the klutch welders? I’ve been trying with some 045 Lincoln outershield but having serious porosity issues.
    Mixed gas, and co2 only. It did seem to have enough power to run dual-shield on the lower voltage ranges anyway.. I seen 250 amps out of the machine with decent voltage..Better watch the duty-cycle with that wire..
    Esab 2200i-TA34 Sweden
    Esab C-160i Poland
    Hypertherm 45XP US
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Japan
    Thermal 38XL US

Hey guys. Have had a 220si for a few years. Awesome machine. I tried running my spool gun on 1/4” aluminum. Just a little to cold. So I want to get an extra mig gun with Teflon liner. Anyone know what type/style gun will work with the machine?

Tweco 2/4 back end.. You probably have to mess with the very end of the gun liner/back end setup, to get it to seat far enough in to tighten the gun,and get gas flow.. It's just a little off on the 3 klutch mig machines I have/had. The 220si is a great unit, I put a amp meter on my cable and seen 250 amps pretty easy..Good voltage to run it too.. Meaning it's got the power to weld .250 aluminum. Just use the factory contactor connector on your new gun with a two pin trailer plug setup.
    Esab 2200i-TA34 Sweden
    Esab C-160i Poland
    Hypertherm 45XP US
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Japan
    Thermal 38XL US

Thank you...!!!

Would this work?

- LINCOLN - MINI 10 Magnum 100L MIG Gun Replacement, 150A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KPIXCY..._K53aAb5W8MJ34

Quote Originally Posted by dbauer428 View Post
    Would this work?

- LINCOLN - MINI 10 Magnum 100L MIG Gun Replacement, 150A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KPIXCY..._K53aAb5W8MJ34
    Yes, with the above stated issues of getting the pin seated far enough into the machine,,Generally a little filling on the back of the liner will do it..
    Esab 2200i-TA34 Sweden
    Esab C-160i Poland
    Hypertherm 45XP US
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Japan
    Thermal 38XL US

Here is the size of drive roll specs..(Bought this one,and it fits) Just to give you someplace to look. I am guessing the same size of a Thermal-arc 211i if you remove the shim from the Klutch Dive motor shaft.. I think Jim tried out his 211i roller on his klutch.. (I believe)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-8-1-0-V-G...item2a62998ecd

Find a Esab Rebel, and thermal-arc 181/211i roller, and match it up.. I don't have one to try on my Klutch. Maybe Jim will chime in..

Keeps you from reinventing the wheel or Roller..

https://store.cyberweld.com/tharcdrrovkn1.html
    Its been a while but I think the roller was identical except for the little step on it may need to be belt sanded down a little or off
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    Esab 161 STL
    ESAB powercut 650
    ESAB ELITE Oxy/Acetylene
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Lincoln IdealArc 250

MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

I haven’t remembered to look for the drive roller for the machine, but after resolving a gas flow issue with my flowmeter the machine is running dualshield very well. I know you can crush the fluxcore wire with standard v-groove rollers but it’s feeding fine for time being. Eventually I’ll find the correct rollers. I’ve been running it pretty hard (maxed out) but I haven’t had any overheating issues with the power supply, the gun however isn’t liking the heat very well. Are there any heavier duty guns that will fit this machine?
    Last edited by FlashBack; 11-13-2017 at 02:46 AM.

So does anyone know what type of electrical connector is used on the stock Klutch gun? The new gun I ordered has 4 pins. Klutch has 5 pins