Do All Bandsaw
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Do All Bandsaw

Do All Bandsaw

I've owned several bandsaws. Never had a new one. My first was homemade. My neighbor, long before my birth had wanted a bandsaw during World War II. It wasn't possible to buy one then. It would have been great, except the blade tensioner had no spring. A tight blade would loosen as it heated up. My second was a Grizzly 1 HP home bandsaw. On the first use the upper wheel fell off. Repeated attempts to order parts from Grizzly failed. It later went through the flood. I had an all stainless meat saw, I wasn't able to get blade guides for, and an antique 36" wheeled monster that also succumbed to the flood.

After the flood, there was a small federal loan. A given portion was earmarked to machine replacements. I looked into a reconditioned Powermatic, and learned that a ten year old functional bandsaw would cost over $4000. There wasn't room in the budget for that.

Later, I bought a Do All. It is a monster! This spring I finally fitted it with a two horsepower single phase motor. This is quite a machine. It includes a grinder, and blade welder for pierce work, a tachometer, a blower to clear sawdust from the cut, and the hydraulic components for a power feed. It came with a dozen blades. Some are labeled "too long" others look good, fit, but cut off to one side.

I'm pretty ignorant. Bandsaws are the only machine I've never managed a good experience with, that includes the Powermatic in high school shop class I split my finger down the middle with. Is it new blades I need? or should I give up?

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Re: Do All Bandsaw

DoAll is a beast of a band saw. They made file blades too. Don't give it up!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller XMT 304

See if any of this helps you out. I'd call MK Morse and get a badasz blade for it. Talk to their tech guys

Thank you.

The content in the video was pretty familiar stuff. The fact they used a saw very similar to mine was interesting. I'm going to try new blades, and hope for redemption. I want to have two capabilities: metal, (including steel), and wood. I own wood land, and occasionally I'll use an Alaskan Sawmill to make two very nice 3" thick quarter sawn planks per log before the rest becomes firewood. After a couple years drying, it is best resawn with a big bandsaw. Quartersawn lumber is remarkably stable. It won't cup like plainsawn will.

Also, I'm getting some belt slip. I presume a 1930's 2 HP motor was significantly more heavy than a 2017 motor. Belts are old, maybe dry.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.