Do All Bandsaw
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Do All Bandsaw

Do All Bandsaw

I've owned several bandsaws. Never had a new one. My first was homemade. My neighbor, long before my birth had wanted a bandsaw during World War II. It wasn't possible to buy one then. It would have been great, except the blade tensioner had no spring. A tight blade would loosen as it heated up. My second was a Grizzly 1 HP home bandsaw. On the first use the upper wheel fell off. Repeated attempts to order parts from Grizzly failed. It later went through the flood. I had an all stainless meat saw, I wasn't able to get blade guides for, and an antique 36" wheeled monster that also succumbed to the flood.

After the flood, there was a small federal loan. A given portion was earmarked to machine replacements. I looked into a reconditioned Powermatic, and learned that a ten year old functional bandsaw would cost over $4000. There wasn't room in the budget for that.

Later, I bought a Do All. It is a monster! This spring I finally fitted it with a two horsepower single phase motor. This is quite a machine. It includes a grinder, and blade welder for pierce work, a tachometer, a blower to clear sawdust from the cut, and the hydraulic components for a power feed. It came with a dozen blades. Some are labeled "too long" others look good, fit, but cut off to one side.

I'm pretty ignorant. Bandsaws are the only machine I've never managed a good experience with, that includes the Powermatic in high school shop class I split my finger down the middle with. Is it new blades I need? or should I give up?

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Re: Do All Bandsaw

DoAll is a beast of a band saw. They made file blades too. Don't give it up!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller XMT 304

See if any of this helps you out. I'd call MK Morse and get a badasz blade for it. Talk to their tech guys

Thank you.

The content in the video was pretty familiar stuff. The fact they used a saw very similar to mine was interesting. I'm going to try new blades, and hope for redemption. I want to have two capabilities: metal, (including steel), and wood. I own wood land, and occasionally I'll use an Alaskan Sawmill to make two very nice 3" thick quarter sawn planks per log before the rest becomes firewood. After a couple years drying, it is best resawn with a big bandsaw. Quartersawn lumber is remarkably stable. It won't cup like plainsawn will.

Also, I'm getting some belt slip. I presume a 1930's 2 HP motor was significantly more heavy than a 2017 motor. Belts are old, maybe dry.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Update:

The slip is in the transmission. On low speed the transmission slips. The manual I found on line has been reproduced and drawings are not good. The parts list shows clutches.

Willie

The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building

What model saw do you have? I have never seen a DoAll vertical with a clutch, there is a Reeves drive for variable speed and transmission with two or three ranges.

Steve
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

Model ML, very old. If I recall correctly it is late 1930s. I just checked the parts list. It describes "clutch gear". I haven't found time to dismantle it. I'm not clear what might slip if no clutch.

Willie

Dog clutch maybe? Sheared key or pins? Dig in. Being that old it's probably due for some fresh bushings/bearings and lube.
    My name's not Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Dog clutch maybe? Sheared key or pins? Dig in. Being that old it's probably due for some fresh bushings/bearings and lube.
    It isn't at the top of the TO DO list right now. Works fine on high gear, and variable sheave control makes high slow enough for steel.

Willie

I've used a Do-All at work and it is a fine machine. The fact that you have a blade welder on board means that you can buy wood or metal blades in bulk and set to your own size or make cost'em size blades for your buddy's machines.
    The wood bandsaw that I picked up used had a blade slipping issue when I got it, the solution was a new set of tyres, a rubber band that sits on the drive and support wheels that the blade travels over. Properly set up, the teeth of the blade will ride above the wheels. Without tyres, you will have to adjust the blade forward so that the teeth are riding outside of the wheel, not damaging it. (Don't recall if the work Do-All has tyres on it, I'll be there in a few days time, will check then).
    Last edited by bearston; 07-18-2017 at 10:50 AM.

When a welder tells you to "stick it", what do they really mean?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Willie B, Probably not lucky enough that this is the right manual?
    http://www.doallsaws.com/manuals/ML_3801.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 6Boys View Post
    Willie B, Probably not lucky enough that this is the right manual?
    http://www.doallsaws.com/manuals/ML_3801.pdf
    Indeed it is. Thank you. On page F-5 & 6 is part number 6-04505. It is described as clutch. These diagrams are precious, but aren't enough for me to understand the guts of the transmission. I'll have to open it up first.

Thanks.

Willie

Six boys! Wow! I barely survived two. Of course, I ended up with a few extra who consider this home base.

Glad it helps. I know what you mean about the diagrams. Looks like a beast of a saw though.